Landmark Key Largo front side wall seems to be seperating from under bedroom wall.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I'm not really sure if this is the appropriate spot to post the question, if not I apologize. Just because I am having difficulty getting an answer so I haven't been able to get an answer to my problem so I don't know the next step to take.

The front driver side of the RV, right where the side wall and the wall under the bedroom/generator compartment area wall is pulling away from each other right at the molding.
I noticed this after my last trip after I put it in storage. I did my usual walk around , I start at the passenger side front and walk around and end at the drivers side front and that's when I noticed this.

Has anyone ever seen this before or have a clue what it is? If this is serious or not ?

I have been in contact with Heartland support for over a week yet, sent pictures multiple times and have yet to receive even a thought of what it could be or what steps to take to fix it. Actually out of 5-6 emails I've only received more questions asking me who I am and my wife's name is on the title so they wouldn't answer my question, after having to explain that my wife's name was on it instead of mine, where I bought it, when I bought it, where I bought it from, the next email was still no information from them trying to help. It's quite a frustrating process.

I'm just trying to find out how serious it could be because if it is structural damage and a hazard to tow it I don't want to just hook up to it and take off and the side rips apart even more.

Just wanting some sort of answer that could give me an insight of what's happening.

I'll post some photos in just a few.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited by a moderator:

TxCowboy

JD, sorry you're going through this. Getting HL on the same sheet of music you are is important and sounds like you've done that.

Would you be willing to post a picture or two of this problem area? Others might be able to chime in with good advice once they've seen what you are seeing.

Thanks!

mmomega

AnyTimer
JD, sorry you're going through this. Getting HL on the same sheet of music you are is important and sounds like you've done that.

Would you be willing to post a picture or two of this problem area? Others might be able to chime in with good advice once they've seen what you are seeing.

Thanks!
Done and done. I think I was uploading the pictures about the same time you replied. :)

danemayer

Hi JD,

You might have some flex in the upper frame structure. The way to tell is to hitch up and observe the area in question with 1) all the weight on the hitch, and again with 2) all the weight on the landing gear. If there's a gap that opens and closes, you have some flex. I'm not positive, but I think over 1/4" is abnormal.

If you see flex as described, put a camera on a tripod or other fixed object and take pictures both ways. That will clearly show what's going on.

Then forget emails and call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. If no one is available immediately, stay on hold until the call can be picked up.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Hi JD,

You might have some flex in the upper frame structure. The way to tell is to hitch up and observe the area in question with 1) all the weight on the hitch, and again with 2) all the weight on the landing gear. If there's a gap that opens and closes, you have some flex. I'm not positive, but I think over 1/4" is abnormal.

If you see flex as described, put a camera on a tripod or other fixed object and take pictures both ways. That will clearly show what's going on.

Then forget emails and call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. If no one is available immediately, stay on hold until the call can be picked up.
that's a good idea. Next time I head to storage I'll just hook it up and take all the weight off the jacks and see if it closes or opens more. And put my gopro on it just for some more documentation.

Bones

Make sure you take reference measurements too to show how much flexing you have. I definitely think you have frame flex

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
JD, that does resemble the frame flex issue some of us have had. Heartland is likely the one to fix it, which probably means a trip to Elkhart for a week. It is not going to fall apart in the meantime. We were diagnosed in June in Gillette, WY at the nation rally and waited until March to take it to Elkhart. We went to a variety of rallies and trips, and even to Colorado and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you can, when taking the photos, tape or hold a small ruler near the photo area for dimensional reference. The more detail you can provide, the better.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Thanks everyone for the replies. All great ideas and I was also thinking this may be something Heartland may need to fix and a dealership couldn't.
The latest email response was zero help just only as an FYI for anyone reading.
I sent the photos I attached above along with my VIN sticker that shows date the RV was built, model, VIN, etc. hoping this would help give all information about the rig itself. I also said what each photo was for.

I'm only posting this because it made me laugh when I read it.
I was told the VIN plaque I took a picture of was so that I knew how much air to properly inflate my tires to and from the other pictures I needed to clean the old sealant off and lay a new bead of silicone over the whole and things should be fine.

But yes, Johndar I thinking putting a ruler in the mix should give some better reference and documentation.
I'm just going to have to get around to actually calling support and getting someone on the phone that may understand this is more than a bead of silicone coming off.

@Erika, that makes me feel better about the whole situation more than anything else I've come across so far.

I didn't want to silicone the area up and not be able to show the problem here so I've just put some tape over it to help keep out any moisture or bugs. It's in covered storage so nothing should be able to get inside that area at least.

jnbhobe

Everyone has given the right advice, take plenty of pictures both hooked up and unhooked and call Heartland. They did mine twice before they got most of it.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Everyone has given the right advice, take plenty of pictures both hooked up and unhooked and call Heartland. They did mine twice before they got most of it.
Ok, so this seeming like a more common issue than I originally thought.

Bones

Ok, so this seeming like a more common issue than I originally thought.
I think it is more common than one would hope. It is suppose to be the exception not the norm. I think our frames could really use a little bit more in them then they have now. Not a whole lot but definitely some more

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This seemed to be a recurring problem with 2008 and some 2009 model rigs, but after a rash of problems, HL seemed to correct the frame welding to eliminate it. Why is it occurring again?

I had a dose of it while still under warranty, but it was repaired by the dealer. The work order write-up reads like they disassembled the whole front end to weld in some gusset plates. I was alerted to the problem by a squeaking bedroom floor with a ridge under the carpet, but no obvious exterior signs. Mentioned the squeak and ridge to the service writer when I took it in for some other maintenance and she took it from there.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
This seemed to be a recurring problem with 2008 and some 2009 model rigs, but after a rash of problems, HL seemed to correct the frame welding to eliminate it. Why is it occurring again?

I had a dose of it while still under warranty, but it was repaired by the dealer. The work order write-up reads like they disassembled the whole front end to weld in some gusset plates. I was alerted to the problem by a squeaking bedroom floor with a ridge under the carpet, but no obvious exterior signs. Mentioned the squeak and ridge to the service writer when I took it in for some other maintenance and she took it from there.

John, I seem to recall some Cyclones needing similar work in the past few years.

Our 2010 ELkRidge, built in Sept. 2009 had issues showing up in 2011.

The OP's rig was a 2011, probably built in late 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ray587

my 2012 Roadwarrio has done this since new. I emailed pictures to Heartland during the warranty period but to no avail. They said some flex was normal. I reseal and reseal but everytime I hitch up it opens back up. Water is seeping in and now the walls are starting to delaminate. Good luck. O f course mine is out of warranty now so I guess I'm just stuck with it.

ray587

just got authorization to bring my 2012 Roadwarrior to factory for my frame flex issues. said they would repair it as a goodwill gesture. 4 years old and they still stand behind it.

caissiel

My last 2 5th wheels has had front frame failures. ,Both units had structural tubing that failed at the weld. The tubing technology comes from the mobile home industry where the towing is a one time tow on to a lot.

Actually I repaired the first unit by using the 2 x 6 tubing from a demolished mobile home. Same thickest metal.

On the BC the front 1 x 3 x less then 1/8 " thick rectangular tubing welds failed. It sheared the metal at the weld. On mine both sides had failed causing the front to lift over one inch. I was lucky to make it home from Florida. I reinforced the connection by adding 3/16 angle and rewelding the connections. The metal was so thin that I had to resort to an old experience qualified mill welder. The procedure added 3 times more weld area to the connection.
My observation on other units since then have shown no improvement to the structural setup from my 2009 model. Unless thicker members is being used, which would be a cheap improvement.
Since I observed one problem on a SOB Lippert frame, I advised the owner to be aware on his 2015 model.

I have no idea why the tubing is used but all I know is that my 24ft 1986 5th wheel had a much stronger front frame then any other units I have seen or owned after.
I have found out that having a soft ride on my truck plus limiting the pin loading still did nothing to prevent my front frame from failure.
In conclusion, I feel that all Lippert front frame are going to fail, it's a case of when.

And after spending a lifetime of improving badly designed equipment in the pulp and paper industry I am ready to say we need to be concerned about this badly design frame.
I know mine is well repaired but I still have to observe the pin frame that seam to twist more then I like. When I did the previous frame repair the pin frame structure looked ok, but I still do not trust it.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Ray587.....they must of had their meeting on Tuesday as I was notified early yesterday they would fix my frame flex too. Still waiting to hear from their service group to actually get on the schedule. Other than your and original poster my permission took a week or so.

I called first to establish a connection with someone and then sent photos and a video. I think the video was the most important evidence.