Landmark - level up systems keeps tripping 50 amp relay

meagle

When retracting my leveling system or hydraulic slides the 50 amp relay keeps tripping. I have two batteries that are producing over 13 volts to the LCI motor. I read earlier that there was an upgrade from Lippert for an 80 amp relay switch. Do I get this from Lipper or Heartland and would this void my warranty?

danemayer

Re: ATF: Landmark - level up systems keeps tripping 50 amp relay

Hi meagle,

At one time Lippert had a LIP Sheet 0058 which described upgrading the mini-circuit breaker from 50 amp to 80 amp. However, that Lip Sheet no longer shows up on the Lippert website, so perhaps they've reconsidered that approach.

If your 50 amp breaker trips and resets repeatedly, it could be caused by several things

• A weak mini-circuit breaker.
  • Low voltage at the battery/buss bar, including loose or corroded battery terminal connections. But you seem to have ruled this out.
  • Loose wires/poor electrical connections at the hydraulic pump.
  • Loose 12V ground from the battery negative terminal to the frame.
  • A bind in one of the slides (if the problem occurs with only one slide, this might be more likely).
  • Cold weather which affects the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid putting a greater load on the pump. Normally this shouldn't be a problem, but in combination with a marginal condition somewhere else, it could be.

Heartland might send you a 50 amp breaker, but since there are several possible causes, they might prefer you take the trailer to your dealer for diagnosis.

But you can get a replacement 50 amp auto-reset breaker locally at auto parts or marine stores for about $10 and save a trip to the dealer. It's an easy replacement and often solves the problem. Look for a breaker with the same mounting configuration.

If you'd like to review the old Lip Sheet, here's a link to a copy that we have.

RoadJunkie

Be sure your wiring can support any increase in the fuse/breaker modification, remember to consider the total circuit design. You can install a breaker with an increased rating, but the wiring may now become the fuse. There is typically a reason breakers "trip" and the common approach is to install a breaker with a higher rating as an easy fix. This problem only occurs when retracting the system and not extending? Talk this one over with tech support.

meagle

Be sure your wiring can support any increase in the fuse/breaker modification, remember to consider the total circuit design. You can install a breaker with an increased rating, but the wiring may now become the fuse. There is typically a reason breakers "trip" and the common approach is to install a breaker with a higher rating as an easy fix. This problem only occurs when retracting the system and not extending? Talk this one over with tech support.

Thank you for the reply. I will make sure that whatever is done is in full compliance with Heartland and LCI, including using a heavier gauge wire.

meagle

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I have checked all of the connections and tested the volts all the way to the motor. The only time that the breaker trips is when retracting. The relay trips with all slides and with the jacks. It has become worse in the colder weather. In fact, I had to reset it 7 times the last time I was retracting the leveling system and slides for travel.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Meagle, I just replaced my 50 amp self resetting breaker with another 50 amp self resetting breaker.
I experienced the same problem as you and since I changed it out I have not had another trip.
That was about two years ago.
So, to save some travel time and fuel as well as down time at the dealer I suggest you spend the $10 and simply replace that breaker.

Peace
Dave

meagle

Meagle, I just replaced my 50 amp self resetting breaker with another 50 amp self resetting breaker.
I experienced the same problem as you and since I changed it out I have not had another trip.
That was about two years ago.
So, to save some travel time and fuel as well as down time at the dealer I suggest you spend the $10 and simply replace that breaker.

Peace
Dave

I tried a new 50 amp self resetting breaker but it would reset itself during levelers retracting and slides closing. I wish that the new 50amp breaker would have worked! I will wait and see if Heartland OK's and sends the new 80 amp breaker and wires. I appreciate your response and tried out your suggestion.

bdb2047

At Goshen rally the Lippert tech,that wasdoing hyd oil change,said an 80a was recomended.I had to jacks added to system at Quartzsite,to make it 6 point,by Lippert and tech changed breaker to 80a.The wire in mine is #6CU which the tech says in 12v RVIA spec is good for 90a. I checked with amp meter while operating system and it draws 70a normal operation a little more when cold.

meagle

At Goshen rally the Lippert tech,that wasdoing hyd oil change,said an 80a was recomended.I had to jacks added to system at Quartzsite,to make it 6 point,by Lippert and tech changed breaker to 80a.The wire in mine is #6CU which the tech says in 12v RVIA spec is good for 90a. I checked with amp meter while operating system and it draws 70a normal operation a little more when cold.

Thank you. I will contact Heartland on Monday and see if they can send the new relay and wire to me. I live in a rural area in far Northern California. The closest service center is 1 1/2 hours away. It would be much easier for me to replace it myself as long as it would not void my warranty. I really appreciate the information.

ronssmith

I had the same problem with my level up system, repeated "trips" with retracting system. Blue Dog RV replaced breaker and problem solved. They said similar thing that original breaker was weak and was false tripping.

jbeletti

My neighbor/friend/club member just replaced his 50 amp auto-resetting breaker that controlled the hydraulic system. He was getting trips/resets when running the slides. He does not have LevelUp. Replacing that breaker was the fix for him. His Landmark is 4 or 5 years old. He found the breaker at a Parts City Auto Store locally.

Last edited:

meagle

My neighbor/friend/club member just replaced his 50 amp auto-resetting breaker that controlled the hydraulic system. He was getting trips/resets when running the slides. He does not have LevelUp. Replacing that breaker was the fix for him. His Landmark is 4 or 5 years old. He found the breaker at a Parts City Auto Store locally.

Thank you. I will try a new breaker and see if it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave10a

Maybe a heavier circuit breaker like 70-80 amp is the answer. As the batteries age and loose power (increases current demand) and the self-resetting 50 breaker ages (wears out). it can be possible that the 50 amp is simply not up to the job. I installed an 80 circuit breaker and have never looked back. Also, cold weather causes the oil to increase in viscosity which will increase current demand. The question is pump motor duty cycle capable of the high current- as well as the wire size. I think the wiring is 6 gauge with should be able to handle the higher current- however I am not sure about the length. In short this smells like a design problem.....

meagle

Maybe a heavier circuit breaker like 70-80 amp is the answer. As the batteries age and loose power (increases current demand) and the self-resetting 50 breaker ages (wears out). it can be possible that the 50 amp is simply not up to the job. I installed an 80 circuit breaker and have never looked back. Also, cold weather causes the oil to increase in viscosity which will increase current demand. The question is pump motor duty cycle capable of the high current- as well as the wire size. I think the wiring is 6 gauge with should be able to handle the higher current- however I am not sure about the length. In short this smells like a design problem.....
I spoke with Heartland customer service and they believe that a 50amp relay should do the job. I am not sure that I agree. I spoke with an RV tech who told me that this was a big problem years ago and to resolve it he had to use 80amp breakers. Since the coach is under warranty I will take it to a RV dealer that I know and trust and let them deal with this problem. I am certain that I will end up with a 80amp breaker. The motor is rated for 100amps.

danemayer

If there's a poor electrical connection or a bind, or something else causing higher than normal current draw, a larger breaker may "solve" the problem but will mask the underlying cause.

Bobby A

I had the same problem years ago with a previous SOB and the upgraded breaker is the fix, and yes it gets worse in colder weather. If it were to happen to me now I think I would shut my slideouts off first than hit the levelup and then go back and open up the valves at the pump and close the slides. Kinda doing a 1 thing at a time approach. JMHO

dave10a

The other issue is the batteries. The two Type 24 batteries supplied with the coach are marginal and I would recommend up-grade to type 27. However, if you connect shore power to allow the battery charger to boost the power type 24 batteries will provide the power. One way to tell if you have a battery problem is to run the level up without shore power connected and if it complains about too low of voltage (assuming your batteries are charged at 80% or better) you will know that you might consider up-grading to type 27 or even better 6v golf cart batteries.

porthole

Retired

Since I had the parts sitting in the garage, I solved some of the issues with replacing the pump cables with marine grade 2 gauge wire, that and a manual resettable marine grade breaker.

That solved all breaker issues and eliminated the "low voltage" shut down I was occasionally getting from the control when not connected to either the truck or shore power.

meagle

Since I had the parts sitting in the garage, I solved some of the issues with replacing the pump cables with marine grade 2 gauge wire, that and a manual resettable marine grade breaker.

That solved all breaker issues and eliminated the "low voltage" shut down I was occasionally getting from the control when not connected to either the truck or shore power.

Where did you get the resettable marine breaker and did you use a 50 or 80amp breaker?