Landmark - wheel bearing - wheel lost

wdk450

I came across this thread while doing a Google search on US made trailer wheel bearings. I wondered if losing your wheel was due to what happened to me (but I did not lose my wheel). While driving from Sacramento to Yellowstone (and on to the Gillette rally) last spring, my TPMS monitor started alarming in Idaho on I-84. I stopped and went back to the trailer and found the rear ODS tire shredded on the inner side, rubbing against the shock mount. When the tire service guy got there, we discovered that the drum "neck" section with the bearing inside had fractured all around, leaving a ring of "neck" and the rest of the drum in 2 parts. This caused the wheel to twist on the axle and the tire to rub the shock mount. I am lucky I didn't lose the wheel. I had the other 3 drums inspected the next day at the tire shop, and they were declared all O.K. Roadside service was able to come up with a new drum to get me going again the same day.

DougS

Doug S
Bill, I never found my tire, so I can not tell you exactly the condition of the tire. The only thing I can say is that the bearing was bad because part of the bearing and nut were left on the axle. As far as axles go, I upgraded to 8K axles at the last Goshen rally, and so far so good. I now have a tire pressure system with tire temperature and I find myself watching the rear tires a lot through the rear mirrors. Don't know if you checked your axles, but my axles burned blue from being overheated from the bearing destruction. I also had my RV weighed while at Goshen to find I was under weight.

I do have to thank Lippert again for overnighting a new axle and sending a repairman, also for picking up the tab for the 8K axles even though the tire and rim were on my dime.