Larry the headhunter is getting operated on

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Too late, perhaps, but I forgot to mention the self-medicate button they give you after. La-La-La. And then there's removal of the catheter that nobody told you they were going to insert while you were "out." That comes after they cut off the happy juice.

But if he's in reasonably good shape and follows the recovery/rehab, he should be just fine.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Our prayers are with you today Larry. May your operation be successful with a full and speedy recovery. We will be looking for you in Goshen next year but are hoping to be on the West coast before then.

Delaine and Lindy

Larry you are in our Prayers, and being a Combat Veteran I know you have the Grit. Now man up and get ur done, I also feel your pain as my back is also not so good. But when we run around in Combat boots for a quarter of a century things do happen. GBY...

GETnBYE

Larry, Best of luck with the back surgery. Give it some time after and let yourself get better, I had back surgery and was thinking I should feel great the first day. It takes a while.
I am sure you will be back on the road soon.
Nita & Wayne

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Well Larry I pray for guided hands and a good recovery.
Notice i didnt say quick recovery because I have had several back/neck surgeries with fusions and screws and if you rush it afterwards, you will regret it.
Be patient and don't be afraid to ask for help if the pain isnt controlled. Let others help you too when you get home.
Duane and I could tell you stories as we have lived it for 24 yrs.
You are now joining the "thumb group" = referring to pushing the pain relief button all the time...

Here's my HIPPA breach for the day :)

I received an email from Deb this morning with an update on Larry as follows:
Hi, I just came home from the hospital. Larry did well in surgery. He was in surgery from 1:30 P.M until 8:45 P.M. The doc said he was able to clear his nerves so his legs should be getting better. He said the fusion went well, but because of Larry's pain tolerance, he was turning his pain management to another service. When I left, at midnight, he was still in the recovery room. I saw him for a minute then decided to go home. I will let you know more tomorrow. Larry and I both thank you for all your calls and prayers.

Debbi

dieselsweetheart

FYI Tom and Jim...it's only a HIPAA violation if you were in healthcare taking care of Larry and talking about him as your patient....lay folks do not violate HIPAA...it's only for healthcare workers. There, now you guys can sleep tonight....

Larry, I don't know you personally, but I just wanted to add my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Thanks to Deb for the update and I'm sure we will get many more over the next few weeks... continued, steady progress is what I wish for....take your pain meds...don't wait for the pain to get bad before you ask...they don't work well that way...(this is my best nurse-advice)... follow doctor (and nurses) directions and you will be back on your feet very soon. We don't keep patients in bed long these days... hey there are some good game shows and soap operas on TV to pass the time during the day...haha (in between your physical therapy sessions)...

You will have a lot of reading to do here on the forum when you are feeling better!!! I will be sure to introduce myself in Goshen next year!!!

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Thanks for the update Jim! Glad surgery is over, now comes the recovery phase! We are praying for you to have a speedy recovery :)

JohnDar

With his new Robo-Spine, he's probably chasing the nurses down the halls. You can tout all the home remedies, alternative medicines, exercises and homeopathic cures, but there's nothing as good or quick as being healed with steel when the back goes out of whack. Pain one day, none the next.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Haven't talked to Larry yet, but we did get a message from him today that said he is alive and kicking. Mark will probably try to call him in the next day or two. He is probably driving Debbi nuts by now!
Kristy

Paul & Nan

We are in the Yukon, heading to Alaska and just read of your surgery. Hoping and Praying for the best. Keep the Faith. Nan and Paul

JohnDar

Yes - Larry called me this weekend. He sounded great. He was on pain meeds, so that helped :) They had him up and around already. Not sure how long he'll stay in the hospital. When I get an update from Deb, I'll post it.

Jim

There's no laying around, going "woe is me." They had me walking down the hall, pushing my IV stand, the night of the surgery. Next day, I had to take a shower with the bag still attached. No mercy or quarter given by the nurses. Fastest way to recovery is to get up and move (with due care).

RollingHome

Larry told me he's doing good as can be. Obviously he needs to just get his strenght back. I think he's glad he did it and I know he's glad it's over with... Sounds like we have the six million dollar bionic "HeadHunter" back in our mix.

I just talked to Larry and wants everyone to know that he is doing fine and tomorrow they plan on placing him into a rehab hospital. He would love to hear from all. His e-mail is larryheadhunter@yahoo.com and his phone number is 949-306-2360. He did tell me it was OK to put this number on the forum.
They did a double fusion on his back and the drugs are great.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Howdy everyone, I never thought I would consider myself a cult figure, and I still don't, lol, but honestly I am beginning to feel obligated to win this battle of back surgery that I am enthralled in. So many Heartlanders have taken me on as family, and made me feel that they are sharing my daily battle of surgical drama with them. I know my beautiful DW Debbi appreciates as much as I do all this awesome support, so hopefully you will all attend our primere of Cult Fiction II, naw, just kidding. Truthfully, without each and every one of your's support, I doubt if we could have been this successful in my recovery. Today, alone, I have received over 20 phone calls, PM's, emails, etc. all extremely supportive of my recovery. Just to name a few who either checked up or wrote about me in the last few days, ty to Mark, Tom, Ken, John, Jim, Carol, and so many more especially Big Al, who like so many more just expected me to know them by their first name, ROFLMAO. Even the nurses are asking daily about my progress, and it has now taken on a life of its own. Talking about a little pressure........So thanks for making this painful recovery so bearable and exciting. I feel its my obligation to succeed for all of us. So know this, when its late and I'm feeling the pain, you are the ones I applaud for making life bearable..... and yes, worth living. I may be your latest special cause, but in this special case all Heartlanders are winners!