Larry the headhunter is getting operated on

Gaffer

That is great news indeed Larry. Give me a call if you get near Portland. I will chase you around the cribbage board.

bigredtruck

HI Larry. I don't know if you remember Brent& I from Oregon a couple of years ago, but we remember having a great time at dinner with you and Debbie. i haven't been on the forum lately - too busy with kids and life - but just logged on tonight and have been reading about your journey through back surgery. I have had back surgery as well although not NEARLY as serious as yours and wish you well in your recovery. It sounds like you are winning the battle and if we can get to the Oregon Rally next year, we hope to see you there. Of course, you may not recognize us. Big Red had to be put to bed and now we have Big Blue. Sending get well wishes your way.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Hi Brent!

I wondered where you guys went. We haven't heard from you in a long time, so it's good to hear you are doing well. Maybe you'll make it to the national rally next year?

Kristy

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to catch up with all my Heartland friends and let you know how things are going for me, it's been quite a journey. Debbi finally convinced me to join our Weekend Warrior friends on their month long trip to Nor Cal, Oregon and the coast of Washington. My friend Larry was recovering from lung surgery, and I could barely walk when we left on July 17th. I had been bedridden for almost 2 years after 3 back surgeries, including two fusions. By the second day, I decided to start walking, and it was awesome getting out there and learning how to balance and take it slow. I couldn't help driving, so I did a lot of BBQing as well as being head navigator,lol.

We met up with Deb and Ray Duryea in Redding on Day 3 and had a wonderful dinner at the same restaurant as we did a few years back on the way to the Oregon rally. Surprisingly, Deb said she never had seen me walking without being bent over, so that was the day I started appreciating my progress back into the world, so thanks Deb for the encouragement. Once we got into the south coast of Oregon I was just left breathless of the green view as well as the awesome Pacific Ocean. We had a lovely time, and anyone who loves natural beauty should experience the coast of Oregon and Washington. My attitude has sure improved after this trip let me tell you. The best time we had was in the rural Siletz River just south of Lincoln City, minutes from the ocean, but incredible in its authenticity, in Chinook Bend RV Park. OMG, they had fire pits, and we were backed right up to the river. Too bad it was only in the 60's, but I walked my butt off and kept getting stronger. I guess the third back operation is the charm as I am finally starting to experience a little relief from all this back and leg pain. Without all my supportive Heartland friends, I never could have done it, although the surgeon said I won't know if I am totally fused until next July, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
We finally made it to Long Beach, WA, and saw the longest beach in the country they claim. Charming little area, and we had a great time.

We are home now in San Clemente CA, and I am continuing my exercise and strengthening program with good success. Unfortunately, last week I was having some breathing problems and had to undergo another coronary stent, which they did through my wrist radial artery instead of the femoral artery in the leg. I feel much better, and started a diet to lose 50 pounds over the next 6 months. I am not that heavy but if I want to live a long life, it's time for some healthy living and say bye bye to cheese, sugar and fat, lol.
Anyway, I am totally amazed at the 10,000 views I have gotten on this thread thank you, thank you, thank you, muah, you guys are the best. Being your mascot has been my pleasure, and it has helped me survive this horrendous experience of all these back issues I have had as well as many of you have shared with me your back problems too. One day Debbi and I hope to buy a small Big Horn and join everyone on the camping road to success and happiness. I will keep in touch, and so should you as we may show up at your campsite some day soon. Look forward to hearing from anyone who wants to post, email or call.
Peace, out..........

PS. We are going to to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks to visit some of our Heartland friends at their rally and staying at the Silverton Hotel nearby. We will see you there if you are attending.

loafer

Larry
Such great news its wonderful to have friends that you can join and do a tour of Oregon and Washington .Deb has looked after you well and you have been blessed to have such a person in your life. Take care and find joy and peace in your new found abilities.
See you on the trail some day
Bill

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Glad you are continuing to improve. It's funny how doing a little of what hurts makes it hurt a little less. I'm in that same process right now too. Keep walking!

Kristy

bill40

Great News, it was at least a year before I was at 95%, the doc was dead on . Just keep paying attention and enjoying the improvements. Hope to run into you when we get back out there. Take Care Bill

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Glad to hear of the positive progress. Hang in there and soon you will be "on the road again".

Larryheadhunter

Hi everyone,
Latest update is that due to the hot 90-100 degree weather in Las Vegas, DW Debbi and I will not be able to make it for the Las Vegas Rally at the Oasis RV Park. Most of my docs said that my Plavix (blood thinner) would literally fry me, so we grudgingly have to decline this long planned trip to see our Heartland family and friends. Life since the summer RV trip has been extremely up and down, with a coronary stent as well as the news I need to have some type of stomach surgery in November 2011 for either an incisional hernia due my 360 degree back fusion, or massive scar tissue, which has set back my recovery quite a bit.

I am still walking, but require my brace, and these pain meds really make me woozy and tired, but I am trying to keep a happy face. Thanks everybody for all your support, 13,000 views is quite an interest, wish I had better news. Will keep you all updated....

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
You are so much better off than you were a year ago! I know it's hard to remember that when things keep popping up, but you are better. Hang in there and you will get through it. Neither of us is good with patience, but we both need it along with a few reminders and an occasional kick in the pants. Lol

Kristy

Larryheadhunter

You are right Kristy! 4 days ago I began cutting back on my pain killers, and although I have good days and bad, Bill said it right. It takes more than a year to heal from spinal fusions, for sure, so I am learning how to live one day at a time. I walked 30 minutes today and almost 3 miles according to my pedometer. It was an awesome accomplishment, lol, now I just have to lose several pounds using Weight Watchers to prepare for our trip to Washington, D.C. on Oct. 18-27, to see my best friend since I was a year old, Stevie Jones from Van Nuys, CA. Wow, the head of customer service at American Airlines got Debbi and I first class seats non-stop LA to Dulles for under $350, just because I am a disabled Vietnam Vet combined with my fusion. I was amazed but accepted gladly, what an incredible deal. Our congressman's office set up several tours including the White House. I am really excited and so is DW Debbi. Then in November I will undergo hopefully my last surgery to repair my stomach from the 360 degree fusion. I can't wait to go RVing again!

mikeandconnie

Hello Larry,
Connie and I are in DC ... We are going to miss you and Deb by 4 days, Darn! I would love to see you again and cook out by the fire.. We are at Cherry Hill RV Park. It's super nice and very big place... ... You will enjoy DC, There"s tons of thing to see.... The Capital building is wonderful place to visit.
My Best Regard
Mike

Larryheadhunter

Hi Mike and Connie,
Sorry we will miss you in Washington, D.C. Look forward to seeing you guys again soon. Feel free to email or call me any time bro.:)

Larryheadhunter

Hi everyone,
Just thought I would share with you all that I took my first walk in 2 years without my bulky brace. It was tough but I made it 20 minutes, didn't want to push it, so I'm kinda elated right now. Hopefully tomorrow I can try it again. Also cut back 5mg. of Vicodin over a week ago, which doesn't sound like much, but tonight I'm going to drop another 5mg which hopefully will be the start of weaning myself off of all pain narcotics over the next 4 months. It's true that it takes a minimum of a year to begin to feel like there is recovery in sight with reasonable pain reduction, after a lower back fusion. I thought it would be prudent to cut back the short acting Vicodin, before weaning myself off of the longer acting Methodone. I am down to 30mg. of Vicodin and 15mg of Methodone. If any of you who have had to endure super painful surgeries and heavy duty narcotics have any thoughts or ideas on how fast and how much and which drug to cut back on first, please share with me and everyone who is following my recovery or may be in the same boat.

We are going to Washington D.C. and Arlington, VA in less than 2 weeks to visit my best childhood friend and there are going to some long, walking days that I will have to endure. We have tours planned every other day for 9 days, lol, including the White House and some Civil War sites, so I am trying to build up my strength so I can enjoy myself, well, so my DW Debbi can have some fun. I imagine she must be sick of being both a wife and nursemaid, so I have to show improvement fast, lol. This long term pain sucks, so my only salvations have been Debbi and walking. Tomorrow I am going to take the 2 beagles on my walk, as they are getting quite chubby, so maybe I will wear the brace tomorrow after all.

Thanks all for your bigtime support, this recovery is taking forever. I can't wait to buy a new RV and get back on the road again. Maybe one day... we shall see, only time will tell.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Congratulations on your progress. Keep up the work and you will reach the finish line. God is good and His healing is for all.

rarnold

Larry, I'm SO glad to hear of your continued progress. Keep up the terrific work you're doing. Hope you can get your new rig and join us in March up in Oroville. Would love to meet you and hear all the updates. Keep getting stronger. Hope to see you out on the road soon.
Rod

Larryheadhunter

Thanks for checking in Rod,
It's been over 9 months since my 3rd and last back fusion, and I am happy to report that my back and leg pain has really improved since I started cardiac rehab 3 weeks ago resulting from my last stent Aug. 26. I have weaned myself off the pain meds substantially and hopefully by end of spring I will be pain drug free. My surgeon's last exray showed that I am 30- 50% fused, but still have another 6-9 months of healing to be totally fused, if I am one of the lucky ones. I have begun to live my life again, and cardiac rehab is 60 minutes straight, 3 times a week, of mostly aerobic exercises at ascending levels of difficulty. I am now at level 3-5 and walking 45-60 minutes minimum daily in addition to my cardiac rehab therapy. Hopefully I will be utilizing pool therapy as well, because I am **** sick of the pain, lol. Man, these back operations take forever to heal, and I think I am at about 65% healed, but hoping after 3 back operations in the last 2 years, that there is a tiny, small light way down the tunnel, that I am fighting tooth and nail to reach. The bucket of gold of a pain-free life is at the end of that tunnel, so that's my quest.

I really miss RVing, and Debbi and I are looking forward to renting a rig for next spring and summer, to travel the northwest all the way to Idaho or Montana, we shall see, these are only dreams. I want to thank all my Heartland friends who have emotionally supported me through this painful ordeal, I promise that every word of encouragement you gave me has lightened my load. I can only wish and hope that Debbi and I can rent a rig this spring or summer. I would love to feel good enough to camp again and show up at your campground. Yea, that's the ticket.