Last Ford

ricatic

Rumor has it GM is tapped out on horsepower for the current Duramax block. Ford has hinted that they are not even close to their limit on power. I think that Ford will stay on top of the hp/tq pile for awhile. With that said, they all have great trucks now. I, too, had to decide if I wanted to get a new Ford after I had an unusual failure in my 6.0 powered truck. In the end, I went with the new 2011 Ford. So far, I could not be happier. The new engine has been stone reliable, makes great power, is good on fuel and comes in a Ford truck. There is a reason Ford sells 2 out of 3 Super Duty class trucks.

Northern Virginia
The biggest thing GM has over Ford right now is that the Duramax/Allison has a proven record that they are excellent. While I am rooting for them, the jury is still out on the new Ford diesel engine and transmission. I hope it proves to be as good as the Duramax/Allison. Time will tell for sure.

bill40

Rumor has it GM is tapped out on horsepower for the current Duramax block. Ford has hinted that they are not even close to their limit on power. I think that Ford will stay on top of the hp/tq pile for awhile. With that said, they all have great trucks now. I, too, had to decide if I wanted to get a new Ford after I had an unusual failure in my 6.0 powered truck. In the end, I went with the new 2011 Ford. So far, I could not be happier. The new engine has been stone reliable, makes great power, is good on fuel and comes in a Ford truck. There is a reason Ford sells 2 out of 3 Super Duty class trucks.
I had the same thoughts when the 2001 duramax came out, put up with my old 6.5 till 05. Figured they had most of the bugs worked out buy then and I was tired of putting lift pumps in. Don't know if I would have gone with their(Fords) new diesel the first year out but the reports are very good so far and I will admit it is good looking truck.

ricatic

Fords track record with the 5r100 5 speed transmission puts it right there with the venerable Allison. I am very familiar with both. There have been very few problems with this transmission. The success of the 5r100 leads many to believe the new 6 speed will be as good , if not better. So far, the new engine/transmission combo is doing extremely well. No reported recurrent problems with either the engine or the trans. The Kentucky Assembly Plant is running at capacity, building 70 trucks an hour. Dealerships can not keep the 6.7 powered trucks on their lot. The 2011 Duramax engine is 60% new according to GM. They also made a big deal at it's introduction about the new horse power was obtained with out raising cylinder pressures. The question is "why did they need to hold the cylinder pressure down if they had any reserve left"? Any more power will be difficult to obtain with out raising pressures. With that said, it would be my second choice. Drive them all and buy what you like the best. No bad choices.

Regards

caissiel

The cummins engine in the Dodge is the most produced engine model made by cummins. In order to cut cost the truck engine is sleeveless and made in mexico. Their is a world of difference in the industrial engine and the truck engine. Its so heavy that the truck has heavier suspension up front. I have no preference, I buy by price only and so far been good with all the vehicles I drive. Its a mather of maintenance and knowing how to treat them right.

I did drive a 6.5L, 98 chev for 9 years with no repairs other then oil changes, and I hope my SD will last as long and give me the same service.

A deer hit the side door of my truck with his horns and all there is 2 little dimples. A GM or a Dodge I would have got a big dent in the door.

Fords are build for work and not everyone needs a work truck, but I do.

porthole

Retired
porthole, I don't understand what you mean about it not being the same Cummins. The very same Cummins company that make the diesels for Dodge is the same Cummins company that make marine and industrial engines. Cummins makes different engines for different applications. Example-Caterpillar dozer engines are made by the same Caterpillar company that makes engines for boats as well. All areas of diesel engines are mandated now with TIER requirements to meet certain emission standards. I hope this clears it up.

I didn't mean it was not the same manufacture, just not the same Cummins 6 that is in one of our towing boats. Just as industrial applications are industrialized and marine apps are marinized, the passenger vehicles have been - well that is not a word yet.

TIER requirements plain stink.

We have a pair of TIER 2 6B's. TIER 2 are required not to smoke and ours do not smoke.
Although that means they also make no power on a dead pull.
We can tow a 100 tons all day at 80% load and burn 16 GPH each. But come to a stop and pull against the tide a bit and the engines will not spool up to let the turbos kick in. If they did it would smoke.

We have contacted a couple of "programmers" even offered to supply new computers for them to reverse engineer. Programmers similar to Banks and Edge are just now starting to look into the "farm applications".

Keep hearing there is "no market". Most of them never saw or heard of lobster boat races or combiner races (that is a sight)

Jellystone

porthole, I agree that all of the TIER emission standards are horrible. This new move to lower emissions in ALL diesel applications is really putting a strain on the economy as well as lost production. The constant "problems" are getting out of hand for personal and commercial applications. I personally have seen numerous issues in marine applications with all of the big players (Cat, EMD, & Cummins). Almost all of the problems are not engine related but exhaust emission issues. It is slowly grinding down the movement of cargo on the inland waterways. Also, these electronic throttle applications in order to conserve fuel is ridiculous. Throttle problems and emissions shutdown with a 30 barge tow southbound coming thru the Vicksburg bridges will lead to millions of dollars worth of repair/salvage.-- Once again, the left wing environmental nutjobs win in trying to bring this great country to it's knees. They sit back and stare at trees & birds while the rest of us work hard every day to keep this nation going with all the products we need (food,steel,manufac. chemicals,coal,rock,concrete,lumber,etc.,etc.). Anyhow, enjoy the day, GO RVING.

Not sure if this the right place but has anyone had this happen to them? 2007 Ford F250 6.0 engine - will try to make this as short as possible. While driving along, excelerator held steady at 35 mph. Could feel the motor lose a little power and then recover. It did that for about 2 or 3 days. We went on a trip yesterday of about 40 mi. and only felt the engine repeat above a couple of times. We arrived at the destination, pulled in to park and stopped. I needed to pull up a bit and pressed the excelerator and it just went to the floor. There was no rpm increase and the truck would not move. I turned the engine off, went to our appointment, restarted the truck within 15 min. and it drove right off. On return trip home, it seemed to be fine for 35 of the 40 mile trip. The last 5 miles, after stopping for lights, I had to put the truck in neutral, push the excelerator clear to the floor and continue pumping as I could hear and see by the tac and sound that the engine was gaining rpms. I would then put it in drive and with a lurch, it would continue to run. After the 5th stoplight, I pulled into the Ford dealership. Left the truck with them and about three hours later, the tech called and said he had road tested it and checked for codes and there are no codes showing and they had no idea what was wrong at this point but said it did the same with him as far as no power and surging to 99% power per his computer readout. He advised that if I needed it, it was dangerous to drive and they should keep it. He has emailed Ford engineers because this dealership has not seen anything like this. The only other reference is that on the 7.3 engines, some of them had a footfeed assy. problem, which he remembers. The email sent is questioning if the same problem could be on the 6.0. They are going to call me back as soon as they get a response from Ford. Has anyone had any problems such as this or any ideas on the problem? I would appreciate any help.

boatdoc

That's what is commonly called "dead pedel" and if you do a goggle search you'll find all sorts of posts and cures for it. It's not the most pleasant thing to have happen when pulling into traffic and one other reason I don't own one of those engines any longer.

Bighurt

Sounds like an EGR problem, but that would result in a code that in turn is shutting the truck down. I had the same problem with my 6.4L and they had to re-flash the pcm in order to fix the EGR code. I can't tell you what it was....

Willym

Laurent,

Cummins makes their 6.7 engines (including those for Dodge) in their Columbus Indiana plant. There is no Mexican version. HD Dodge rams are assembled in Saltillo, Mexico however.

The cummins engine in the Dodge is the most produced engine model made by cummins. In order to cut cost the truck engine is sleeveless and made in mexico. Their is a world of difference in the industrial engine and the truck engine. Its so heavy that the truck has heavier suspension up front. I have no preference, I buy by price only and so far been good with all the vehicles I drive. Its a mather of maintenance and knowing how to treat them right.

I did drive a 6.5L, 98 chev for 9 years with no repairs other then oil changes, and I hope my SD will last as long and give me the same service.

A deer hit the side door of my truck with his horns and all there is 2 little dimples. A GM or a Dodge I would have got a big dent in the door.

Fords are build for work and not everyone needs a work truck, but I do.

Northern Virginia
Nice. Did you get the 25 or 3500? Now that the 3500 comes in a standard bed, I would go for that in a heartbeat. Can you compare the power of the new LML to the previous LMM?

porthole

Retired
I'd have to vote on the GM Dramas, since I bought a 2011 last Saturday.

What did you have before?

How tall is the edge of the bed in the rear? I saw on a SRW and DRW F350 a bit more then 2 inches in height with the SRW being the taller truck.

lwmcguir

We only have Fords now and will never go back. They cost more and in the end the trade in value reflects that. Going to get a 6.7 next year and give that a try. Sure good to hear all the positive reviews. The only thing I don't like is the Urea tank but that is part of the emissions system and so it is. Ford will always be the leader in HD trucks. A lot of folks don't need that much truck so there are other choices out there.

BruteForce

Well I think I have my f-350 sold. I do believe I have bought my last ford. Which is a shame with the exception of the engine I love the truck. I just cant afford to be replacing FICM's and fuel injectors every 40,000 miles. So I think I am going to go with a dodge next time. I am starting to see those much more often. What is anyone opinion of the larger dodge diesel truck?

I like mine. Traded in my 2008 Ram 2500 CTD for the current 2009 Dually. This thing will tear my house off it's foundation and merrily drive down the freeway. If you spend a bit more for the Laramie edition, the interior is better done. Ford has a strong chassis and great interior, but their motors have always been week.

DW_Gray

I bought my '08 Dodge new in January '09 and have about 47,000 miles on it. I've been very pleased with it. I just completed a 10 month US tour and towed my Cyclone nearly 14,000 miles. I haven't had any mechanical problems at all. I do think the paint job on the rear fiberglass fenders or the fenders themselves is not so good. The newer trucks appear to be better.

Will I buy another? Maybe. That depends on which 3500 will have a better engine and higher towing capacity. The new 2011 Chevy/GM is looking pretty good. But I just may go for a Freightliner instead.

Last edited:

Bighurt

Ford has a strong chassis and great interior, but their motors have always been week.

I think its funny all the Dodge guys go after the Ford motor, when for the last 20 years they have been made by Navstar. They finally got back to putting their motors in trucks with the new 6.7 Scorpion that's producing some impressive figures.

Never-mind the fact that these same Dodge guys praise the Cummins, whom Ford has controlling interest in.

Willym

Ford does not have a controlling interest in Cummins, nor is it a major shareholder. This myth has been going around for a long time. If they did have any shares , they probably sold them when they mortgaged everything they had to save themselves from bankruptcy a few years ago. Ford have used Cummins engines for their larger trucks. I presume they wanted a stronger engine for them.

I think its funny all the Dodge guys go after the Ford motor, when for the last 20 years they have been made by Navstar. They finally got back to putting their motors in trucks with the new 6.7 Scorpion that's producing some impressive figures.

Never-mind the fact that these same Dodge guys praise the Cummins, whom Ford has controlling interest in.

copy.png
trans.png