Leak 1/2" Clamp question

Sur

Wondering if the only way is to really fix a leak on my 1/2" hot water line is to use PEX stainless fittings... Leak is in the basement of the 3650.
Have tried with the common i/2 hose clamp without long term success.
Any experienced answers welcomed as this leak is trying on my patience...
Thanks

Brock

3650 2011

lwmcguir

There are several brands of fittings such as SharkBite that will work on pex. A pex crimping tool and copper rings is what I use. Same in the home. Also available are some screw on fittings similar to Shark Bite but cheaper that will work. Most large box store, farm stores, and hardware stores cary both.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Screw-type clamps generally do not work on PEX fittings. Due to their design, they do not clamp evenly and leave a small gap where it can leak. PEX fittings require either the stainless steel crimp rings or the copper clamp rings to seal properly. SharkBite fittings are fine, but can be problematic if you don't have the space to fit them into the line. The repair I had to do in this photo (where the copper rings and brass fittings are) did not allow a lot of room for larger fittings to be installed. The actual leak was at the T-fitting where the red line joins in. So now, after some trial and error (mostly the latter), I've got a plumbing repair kit that can handle both types of PEX connections. Not inexpensive, but I'm sort of a tool junkie, anyways.

View attachment 16295

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I used the "shark Bite" fittings to remove the low point drains. They have worked well for 2 years now at 55# of pressure. If you have the room.....use them. Bought mine at Lowes.