Leaking Gray Water Valve Connection

Ornofrk

My gray water #1 tank valve on my 2011 Big Horn would not close. I dismantled the valve and found the tank drain pipe blocked with construction debris (plastic shavings, etc. that had built up over the past 4 years). I cleaned it out and reassembled the valve. The valve leaked where it connects to the pipe flanges! I disassembled it again, bought some new rubber seal gaskets (Valterra replacement seals) and put it back together. It still leaks!? I'm wondering if I have the seals in backwards? They are conical shaped. Which way do they go on? Does the wider diameter side face the gate valve blade or does it face the tank side? I used vaseline to kind of hold the seals in place so they would not get distorted when I bolted the valve to the flanges. I guess they could still have gotten out of place, but I took the valve apart again and they appear to have been in place? That's why I think maybe I put the seals on backwards? I can take it apart again and reverse the seals. However, I thought I would query the forum first and see if anyone else has had this problem? Also, is it possible to overtighten the bolts and distort the seals?

Jerry O.
2011 Big Horn 3670RL

JanAndBill

My gray water #1 tank valve on my 2011 Big Horn would not close. I dismantled the valve and found the tank drain pipe blocked with construction debris (plastic shavings, etc. that had built up over the past 4 years). I cleaned it out and reassembled the valve. The valve leaked where it connects to the pipe flanges! I disassembled it again, bought some new rubber seal gaskets (Valterra replacement seals) and put it back together. It still leaks!? I'm wondering if I have the seals in backwards? They are conical shaped. Which way do they go on? Does the wider diameter side face the gate valve blade or does it face the tank side? I used vaseline to kind of hold the seals in place so they would not get distorted when I bolted the valve to the flanges. I guess they could still have gotten out of place, but I took the valve apart again and they appear to have been in place? That's why I think maybe I put the seals on backwards? I can take it apart again and reverse the seals. However, I thought I would query the forum first and see if anyone else has had this problem? Also, is it possible to overtighten the bolts and distort the seals?

Jerry O.
2011 Big Horn 3670RL

My memory is not the greatest but it seems like the last time I changed mine there was a ridge on the pipe that the seal went over. The wider side facing the tank and the smaller end toward the blade. And yes it is possible to over tighten the bolts. Nuts should be snugged up, but not over tight. The locks should just start to dig into the plastic.