Leaking hot water line

ArkSlim

Noticed when we returned from shoping , water running out of the bottom of the trailer. Turned off water supply and unloaded cargo area and pulled panel off to get to the water connections. After getting to the connections found the hot water line leaking from where it comes out of the hot water tank. The leak was where the plastic pipe goes into the tank. It appears as if that end of the plastic has plumers putty holding it into the tank,can't tell if it is threaded or not. Temporary fix "tub&tile caulk. Looking for perminent f fix. Also the drain plug looks as if it is rusted in any suggestions on this?

lhetsler

Coming right out of the hot water tank is the check valve. The plastic ones have been breaking and leaking right and left. Get a brass one at Lowes (about $7). remove all the plastic and use a 1/2 nipple from the tank and attach the check valve to it and reattach the line.

2010augusta

X2 on the replace the plastic check valve with a brass one, all the fittings are 1/2 NPT and the PEX is all 1/2" too. The anode rod / drain plug might show a bit of rust but needs to come out. We check ours at least every 3 months and reapply new teflon tape to keep it sealed and rust free.

ArkSlim

Thanks for the info. I guess Home depot or minards will have the things I need. Those are the only places around Council Bluffs that I've seen. Today when I was taking the check valve out (Broke off in the tank but I was able to get it out) I hit the shut off valve and broke one of the elbows off in the brass fitting but also got that out. Now I'm looking for an elbow also hpoing to find a brass one. Think I'll just use a hose clamp instead of the plex ?? Thanks again

lhetsler

You should be able to use the existing water line, no need for hose clamp, unless your line coming out of the hot water heater is messed up somehow.

SilverRhino

I replaced our check valve before it failed.....when I took it out the insides just fell out...glad I did it at home and not on the road!

Your unfortunate leak brings up, what I think is an important practice.....When leaving the trailer for more than a short walk etc., I always turn the water off at the sourc.....this will minimize the damage of a leak. Just my opinion......

Travel Safe!