Leaking rear diff---need advice

aatauses

Hi everyone,
We have a 2005 silverado 3500--dually. I have a leak (seepage) on the rear differential. It is leaking where the left axle goes into the differential? A local mechanic said there is not a seal there and to fix would involve getting a differential gear box with the axles attached??? He said he has seen others leak and just keep checking the fluid???
Looking for advice on this one--the truck only has 97M miles
thanks
al

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had the same leak on my 2007. It started leaking at the plugs. The dealer just cleaned the area and applied what looked like J-B Weld.
Then it started to leak where yours is leaking.
After I did some whining they agreed to replace the entire axle housing under warranty.
You might try the J-B Weld.

Peace
Dave

Speedy

In order to use the JB Weld you'll need to clean the area completely so there is no oil residue so the JB Weld can adhere.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
If you unbolt the axle from the hub there is a gasket behind that. The oil seal is on the inside of your hub itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

whp4262

If the leak is at the hub there is an oil seal on the inside of the hub and a gasket behind the axle flange, sometimes they used RTV gasket sealer instead of a gasket. If the leak is where the axle tube attaches to the ring and pinion housing there is not a gasket so JB weld might be your only option but I would be a little concerned about the integrity of the axle tube in this area if it is leaking. You also might check to make sure the breather or axle vent is not plugged as well.