Leaking skylight

BJonz

Hey everybody!

New to the forum, first time RV owner and figuring a lot of things out. I have a 2011 North Trail 21fbs that I have taken out for the first time and of course it rains. During this rain I noticed some leaks around the skylight. Is there a gasket for that or what do I use to reseal it?

danemayer

Hi BJonz,

Congratulations on the new-to-you rig and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Inspect the caulking around the edges and anything that appears cracked or loose should be removed carefully so as to not damage the rubber roof membrane. Get Dicor self-leveling caulk (from any RV dealer) and re-caulk.

While you're at it, check the rest of the caulking on the roof.

BJonz

Thanks for the info and the warm welcome!

Finally back to where I can get signal (not really a good thing) and will get right on your recommendations.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks for the info and the warm welcome!

Finally back to where I can get signal (not really a good thing) and will get right on your recommendations.

You might also consider covering the edges with 4" Eternabond tape. Then you won't have to worry about recaulking it.

Attachments

• Skylight.JPG
    Skylight.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 38

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
also - make sure there are no cracks on the skylight - I had one crack due to age and it leaked into the inner skylight and then into/onto the ceiling - looked like a seam leak but needed to replace the outer skylight.

wdk450

also - make sure there are no cracks on the skylight - I had one crack due to age and it leaked into the inner skylight and then into/onto the ceiling - looked like a seam leak but needed to replace the outer skylight.

You might be able to repair small cracks on the external skylight with RVers GOOP elastometric adhesive/sealant available at RV stores or Walmart.