"Legal Towing"

DW_Gray

Here is a link to LEGAL TOWING in California. Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook Bye the way it is legal for a Semi to tow two trailers.(look at FedEx,UPS,YRC,and AFB)

Well the law has changed since I took the noncommercial class A test in CA. Below is the best answer I could find about it.

"The law that required the first trailer to be a fifth wheel and the second to be a water craft went away a while ago in CA. You may tow two pull trailers, BUT you need a COMMERCIAL class A with a doubles endorsement. Also, you are restricted to 65 feet in overall length. You also don't need brakes on the second trailer if it is under 1500 lbs and you can still meet minimum stopping distance requirements (it's all in the vehicle code, just don't remember that section right now). CA vehicle code section 12804.9 covers all of the licensing requirements."

Sandpirate69

Regardless of what state you are licensed in and your vehicles are registered in, you still have to abide by the laws of the state you are driving in. Example: Truckers cannot tow more than one trailer in California nor can an RVer tow a fifth wheel RV with a boat towed behind the fifth wheel. It's okay tow double trailer in some states, but not in California.

As I've said before, I was told by CHP that they will only stop an RVer if there is an "appearance" of something wrong. Just about any day of the week, you'll see overloaded RVs (toy haulers) on the sands of Pismo Beach, CA.

Dave,

I'm sorry to say this, but the state that issues your license & your vehicle registration dictates how you operate a commercial vehicle. For example, you sated two trailers (Combination Trailers) in the state of Florida you can not get a Class A Commercial Lic. to tow combo trailers, but in Mayland you can. So when you drive down to Florida, as long as you have a Com Lic from that state allowing you to drive a such a combo its legal. As far as, a 5th wheel & towing a boat at the same time, thats asking for trouble. When I worked commercial vehicle enforcement, I honestly didn't have the opportunity to see such a combo. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but i think you (meaning anyone) should tow responsibly.

Ivan

Birchwood

If you upgraded to a Mesa you will require a tow vehicle with a GVWR exceeding 11000 lbs.Regardless of the state or province
you are traveling in ,if you are involved in an accident you could be held responsible if your truck was overloaded.
I always do the simple calculation use the max GVWR of your RV and multiply by 20% and add the weight of your
truck to that value.The total should not exceed the value stamped on your door sill.

DW_Gray

Dave,

I'm sorry to say this, but the state that issues your license & your vehicle registration dictates how you operate a commercial vehicle. For example, you sated two trailers (Combination Trailers) in the state of Florida you can not get a Class A Commercial Lic. to tow combo trailers, but in Mayland you can. So when you drive down to Florida, as long as you have a Com Lic from that state allowing you to drive a such a combo its legal. As far as, a 5th wheel & towing a boat at the same time, thats asking for trouble. When I worked commercial vehicle enforcement, I honestly didn't have the opportunity to see such a combo. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but i think you (meaning anyone) should tow responsibly.

Ivan

I decided to ask my California friend who is a CHP. Below is my statement and question to him and his answer.

Dave:
I made the following statement and there is some disagreement.

"Regardless of what state you are licensed in and your vehicles are registered in, you still have to abide by the laws of the state you are driving in.”

Okay, let’s say that in State A where I’m licensed and registered I’m allowed to drive with XXXX. Now I enter State B where it is illegal to drive with XXXX. Is there a possibility that I’ll be ticketed in State B even though it’s legal in State A where my license and registration permits driving with XXXX?

Mike the CHP:
"You must abide by the laws of the state you are driving in."

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
There is alot of confusion and misinformation in this thread. Review the laws in the state that you are registered in and RECREATIONAL VEHICLE EXEMPTIONS.

I have a Commercial Classs A CDL, With Hazmat , Tanker, and Double Endorsements. That has nothing to do with this thread. Recreational vehicles are NOT Commercial vehicles.

The Original question had to do with LEGAL weight laws. Read your local regulations, that is where you will find your answer as it pertains to you.

The comments about "double towing" are irrelevent to this thread. Some states allow it, some dont. That has nothing to do with "Legal weights". Regardless, Doubles for a commercial vehicle and Doubles for a recreational vehicle fall under different laws.

Noncommercial specialty licences mandated by some states and provinces of Canada are for residents. What California mandates for there residents doesnt affect the rest of us passing thru. We are licensed in our home state.

Sandpirate69

I decided to ask my California friend who is a CHP. Below is my statement and question to him and his answer.

Dave:
I made the following statement and there is some disagreement.

"Regardless of what state you are licensed in and your vehicles are registered in, you still have to abide by the laws of the state you are driving in.”

Okay, let’s say that in State A where I’m licensed and registered I’m allowed to drive with XXXX. Now I enter State B where it is illegal to drive with XXXX. Is there a possibility that I’ll be ticketed in State B even though it’s legal in State A where my license and registration permits driving with XXXX?

Mike the CHP:
"You must abide by the laws of the state you are driving in."

Dave,

I really don't understand where CHP get their information or training. But, he is incorrect. I don't like to try and correct another LEO from another state, but he's mis-informing you. He is correct, in that you need to follow the rules of the road of California (speeding or tailgating, etc..). But, California cannot inpose their rules and regulations on your registered vehicle(s) from another state, while passing through. It would really be an interesting traffic stop if your neighbor were to pull me over based on his information, it would be his biggest career challenge yet. Anyway, this thread ran away from its original meaning. But it has been informative. :p

Ivan

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I agree that regarding licensing and weights you are governed by your home state. Regarding traffic regulations i.e. speed restrictions, stop signs, red lights etc. you are governed by the state you are in. Example: If you must have a 'Class A" license in your home state then you are okay in the state you are visiting. If you home state permits driving 70 mph and you visit a state where it is only permitting 60 mph you must go 60 in that state. Again common sense prevails.