Length of Trailer Concerns

musicman

Hello everyone,
I am currently pulling a BH 3185 which is 35 feet long.
We are wanting to upgrade in the very near future.
We are looking at the BH 3575 which is 39 feet 4 inches long.
What are your thought of this length for pulling and turning.

What about over 40 feet? Would I see much of a difference from the 39 feet and 4 inches?
Just kind of anxious about pulling over 40 feet.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve Sullivan

bthornto

Our current is 30, and the new 35. I've only every towed the old and our limiting factor is our own driveway and ability to turn the coach around in place. We're at the top of a big hill so backing in isn't feasible... I'm looking forward to the camera though, that will help minimize the pain of parking. DW is tired of having to use the orange runway flags, vest, and walkie talky... (JK)

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

uncledon

Her chauffeur
MM, I currently have the same length BH as you. Each time I moved up in fivers to a longer/bigger unit, I had the same concerns. Each time I took the new unit to a nice big parking lot with a couple traffic cones and did trials on turning radius, etc. You will find that although a longer unit will require adjustments, it will not take long for you to become comfortable. Keep your travels to the main roads whenever possible until you feel you have it down.

I have a gravel drive that leads back to my pole barn and the cement pad where I house my BH. I had to learn that to make sure I kept the trailer tires out of the ditch, I had to fade off onto the shoulder of the road on the far side before I made the turn into the drive. Normally, you won't have issues with turns on most roads.

Pulling won't be much different than your current rig outside of possibly noticing the extra weight at first. A bigger concern may be in the choices of campground sites that you will be able to fit into as you go bigger. This is one of my concerns as we look at upgrading.

meagle

My last 3 fifth wheels were 28ft, 32ft, 35ft and now I am towing a Landmark that is around 40ft. I personally do not mind towing the 40 footer, backing into spaces, nor o I have have trouble finding RV parks that can accommodate its length. In fact, I find that my Landmark is the easiest fifth wheel I've owned to tow on the road. Just practice a little so you can feel comfortable with the extra length. I love the size of my RV and find the interior space to be worth any slight inconvenience for towing or backing up.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
My question is do you like to stay in commercial parks or in state/national parks? Commercial parks usually aren't any problems getting into but the state/national parks are better suited for the shorter length campers. As for pulling, yes you have a longer tail behind ya with the longer rigs but driving practices are the same. I like the suggestion of going to a large parking lot (high school parking lot, sports complex lot) and get a feel on how to handle the longer length as far as backing and making turns.

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

We have a 3575EL and it is too darn long, longer than I wish it were. But the length is manageable, that is, dependent on your tolerance and patience for a number of frustrations. All the frustrations are worth while when you are all set up and enjoying the vast space. We enjoy the increased space because our style is to stay several days, up to months, in the same place and don't have to maneuver, setup, or travel on a daily basis. For us, the worst experience of hauling a super-length trailer is refueling while the trailer is attached. We took care of most of those situations by adding a larger capacity fuel tank. If you are experienced at hauling longer rigs then I believe you will do well.

Aandaar

I agree with the other posters. You get use to the length. I have towed trailers as short as 5 feet and as long as 53 feet. Our current 5th is 43 feet. They all take some practice. IMO the short trailers are more of a pain backing that the longer one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuclearcowboy

Our 3970RD is 43'8" - long, for sure, but you will adjust to whatever length you buy. Love the extra space but it can be challenging with some RV parks.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Hello everyone,
I am currently pulling a BH 3185 which is 35 feet long.
We are wanting to upgrade in the very near future.
We are looking at the BH 3575 which is 39 feet 4 inches long.
What are your thought of this length for pulling and turning.

What about over 40 feet? Would I see much of a difference from the 39 feet and 4 inches?
Just kind of anxious about pulling over 40 feet.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve Sullivan
If I can get used to this, you can get used to 40'...
9a6491dfa9de3ac8e56d8b32c32d5ce6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dbbls59

I went from a 34 to a 38 and I noticed a differance. Backing into parking sites and turning corners is much different. I've rubbed the curb much more and sometimes it can't be helped. Noticed the most trouble in the new England states. Narrow roads. If I trade again I'll be looking for units a little bit shorter.