Considering Upgrading To BH 3575 from BH 3185

musicman

Hello everyone,
Currently we have a 2011 BH 3185 and we love it but we are considering upgrading in the near future
before retiring and gong fulltime in our RV. We are considering the BH 3575. We would appreciate any
feedback from other owners of this floorplan. Thanks in advance.

Steve Sullivan

SNOKING

We have lived in our early 2017 BH3575el since August and love it. We just moved into a new park model with Arizona room as a winter home and will live in the Big Horn during the summer months in the NW. We tow it with a 2015 RAM 3500 4x4 SB CC and it handles it fine at just under 16K on the trailer and 24K+ combined.

Only thing I would change is getting a residential refer next time.

Don't think I wold try to tow it with your 2500. Chris

musicman

Dodge specs says I can tow 18,500 with no problem with my truck....What are your thoughts?
My 5th wheel hitch is a 16K. Any thought on that also?

avvidclif

Look at the Payload rating on the sticker on the drivers door post. It's not what you can pull it's what you can carry. Loaded the BH could be up to 3200 lbs plus the hitch weight. If your payload is over that maybe good.

SNOKING

Dodge specs says I can tow 18,500 with no problem with my truck....What are your thoughts?
My 5th wheel hitch is a 16K. Any thought on that also?

Here is the 2014 towing guide. You will be way over the 10K trucks GVWR and most likely a few hundred over the 6500 rear axles rating. Do you have coil rear springs or the air suspension? The air will most likely give an overload warning and the coils will need air bags to help hold up the pin weight.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2014_RAM.2500.Towing.Specs.pdf

People do it all the time saying the 2500 is the same as the 3500 SRW, however RAM changed the rear suspension on the 2500's to improve ride.

Chris

CDN

B and B
Hello,
We take delivery of the BH 3575 after searching SOB for several years. Checks off all the boxes including price from a the only dealer in Ontario Canada. I had a F 250 there is no way a 3/4 ton can tow this trailer safely. We have a F 350 now and have lots of payload on our SRW Super Duty. Our Pin weight is 2450 lbs dry which is over the CCC of the F 250.

Take a good look as others mentioned on the CCC yellow sticker. If you have a base truck with no options you might have 2500 lbs CCC.

musicman

Talked to the dealer today....they say I should have no problem....The dealer says I can tow a trailer that weighs a total of 17,500 lbs with my 3/4 ton diesel. I am totally confused now.....

danemayer

Talked to the dealer today....they say I should have no problem....The dealer says I can tow a trailer that weighs a total of 17,500 lbs with my 3/4 ton diesel. I am totally confused now.....
Hi musicman,

There are 2 components involved in towing: horizontal load, and vertical load. The dealer is telling you about the horizontal load. Others here are pointing out that when you consider the vertical load, you will be overloaded.

The vertical load capability of your truck is the payload spec of the truck, which can usually be found on a sticker inside the driver's door. It's the maximum weight you can safely carry. If you exceed this weight, you may find that the truck's handling is compromised. In routine towing on a dry road with no wind, this probably won't be a problem. However, in bad weather and road conditions, if you have an emergency lane change or emergency stop, you may be in trouble.

Possible excess wear and tear on the rear axle and suspension components may be another concern.

3/4 ton trucks typically have a payload of 2,100 to 2,700 lbs. Some could be a bit higher. For a 16,000 lb trailer, you should assume that 20% or 3,200 lbs will rest on the hitch. Add to that the weight of your hitch, bed cover, bed liner, firewood, tools, pets, and passengers. You could easily be carrying over 4,000 lbs versus a payload spec of 2,500.

Some people will say to add airbags to level out the truck. But that doesn't fix the weight and balance, and doesn't help with excess wear.

Some will say that they tow a large trailer using a 3/4 truck and have no problem.

So you have to decide what to do; go by the engineering specification, or go by the anecdotal advice from those to who exceed the specs.

If you want more specific guidance, check out Fifth Wheel Street.

Hopefully you'll find this helpful.

musicman

Thank you all for so much great information....Wow, had no idea this would be so hard.....I really can't afford a new truck right now. We are in payoff mode for our current truck and house. We retire in August of 2018. We will probably just keep our BH 3185 and tests the waters. Thanks again all.

Steve Sullivan

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked my sticker in the front door of my truck.
Front axles - 5500 lbs
Rear axles - 6500 lbs.

Does this mean I can have 6500 lbs on my back axel and be ok?

musicman

According the RAM spec sheets for my truck the payload is 3160 lbs.
Does that sound about right?

Steve

CDN

B and B
Thank you all for so much great information....Wow, had no idea this would be so hard.....I really can't afford a new truck right now. We are in payoff mode for our current truck and house. We retire in August of 2018. We will probably just keep our BH 3185 and tests the waters. Thanks again all.

Steve Sullivan

- - - Updated - - -

Front axles - 5500 lbs
Rear axles - 6500 lbs.

No unfortunatly not.

Need the Yellow Sticker by the drivers door. Cargo Carrying Capacity. That is what is required. The Spec Sheets are a bare bones truck . There is no way a optioned truck like a Bighorn has that much capacity. even at 3100 you can put the 5th wheel pin on the truck but no people, they could as CCC, plus a tank of fuel. Is your truck a Diesel?

danemayer

According the RAM spec sheets for my truck the payload is 3160 lbs.
Does that sound about right?

Steve
It could be in the ballpark, but you have to be careful with spec sheets because they may not reflect what went into your actual build.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another thing I recently read when looking at what is covered under the factory warranty from the manufacturer -- the warranty can be voided if the truck is used to tow outside the manufacturer's specifications. Not sure how that could be proven, but it's in there in writing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Steve Sullivan

- - - Updated - - -

Front axles - 5500 lbs
Rear axles - 6500 lbs.

Not to condone towing over loaded! But here are some facts.

250/2500 are class two trucks as sold. Class two has a max GVWR of 10,000 pounds. The difference between the 2014 RAM 2500 and the 2014 RAM 3500 SRW is the rear suspension. The tires, brakes, AAM axle, frame, tranny (if 68RFE) and engine are the same. RAM decided to completely change the rear suspension on the 2500 in model year 2014 to coil springs vs the leaf springs that remain on the 3500(note the 3500's got the new frame in model new 2013, and 2500 in 2014). Both have options from a rear air suspension, however the 3500 one is much more robust vs the lighter duty one on the 2500. Because the 10K GVWR and possibly the coil springs RAM chose give the 2500 a rear GAWR of 6500 lbs vs the 3500 7000 lbs. Both the 18" and 20" used on both trucks are rated to 3640 lbs each. AAM axles are rated by manufactures at over 10K.

The most binding truck manufactures number is the GAWR, and is usually based on tire rating except in this 2014+ RAM 2500 cause. The GVWR and GCWR are manufacture numbers that are warranty based.

If you are in a state that licenses tonnage, then one needs to be sure to purchase enough to cover the load on the truck. In this case it would mean licensing to 12K. This proposed combination will create a tow vehicle weight a little north of 11K GVW.

My 2001.5 2500 RAM was licensed to 12K by Washington State and I towed at 10-11K on the truck. Again I am not condoning that others do that. With my 2015 3500 I am over the 11,700 GVWR by 50 lbs and meet the over numbers with close to 7K on the rear axle. My Aisin tranny truck weighs more than a 2500 by a couple hundred pounds. This new truck is also licensed to 12K.

What you do is a personal choice and only you can make a decision based on the facts at hand and you comfort level of being over the truck's GVWR by 1000 to 1500 lbs and most likely the 6500 rear GAWR a couple hundred pounds. I would NEVER exceed tire ratings.

The weigh stations you see along the highways enforce the States version of the Federal Bridge Weight laws. NO pickup will exceed this numbers.

Chris

SNOKING

Here are our weights last fall when loaded for the winter in Arizona. My Aisin tranny makes the truck a little heavier, and we had sold the SB and were living full time in the Big Horn.

Steer5120
Drive6620
Sub Truck11740
Trailer12780
GCW24520
TV-8900
Trailer15620

Paradise2

Hello everyone,
Currently we have a 2011 BH 3185 and we love it but we are considering upgrading in the near future
before retiring and gong fulltime in our RV. We are considering the BH 3575. We would appreciate any
feedback from other owners of this floorplan. Thanks in advance.

Steve Sullivan

WE just picked up our 2017 Bighorn 3575 and totally love it.....We plan on living in it in a cpl of years when hubby retires. You will love it.

Lynette

NYSUPstater

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but would like to add to snokings comments. We had a '03 F250 PSD,cc,4x4,sb, 50 gallon T-flow tank and rated for 8600 GVW. Max 5er weight was 10,000 and max combo wt was 20,000. Weighed on a CAT scale, she came in at 8500 lbs by ITSELF!. With 5er, fully loaded, trucked weighed 10,500 and combo of 21,500. If I recall right, it was near capacity on rear axle, below front, but over on gross. Tho truck towed it just fine, had to be in mindset of leaving a gap between me and person in front.

This being said, we got rid of the '03 and now have a '15 F350 PSD, CC, SB, 4x4, SRW, 50 gallon T-flow tank and she weighs the same as the '03 did within a few lbs. GVW is 11,500, max 5er weight is 15,700 and combo is 22-23,000. Will be getting a BC 3560SS which will pretty much max out the 350 in SRW form. By my early rough calculations, will be over one the ratings between 500-1500 lbs (could be wrong). Like snoking said, I too don't condone towing overloaded. 1,000 lbs is 1,000 lbs,but shouldn't kill the truck. If 3-5000, that's a different story. It's your call, but just keep in mind leaving a gap all the time which someone will always fill.

A friend of mine years ago told me that all mfr's test their trucks with weight far more than we will ever carry to find their breaking points (probly twice that of what they tell us we can tow safely). All this to CTA (cover their *****). Also, in regards to the Ford line, back in early 2000's, their 350's were rated at 9,900 and folks towing 15-16K w/ them. Don't recall a lot of fuss then. Now the 250's have a GVW of 10K and 350's (SRW's) 11,500. With sue happy atty's nowadays, we have to COA (cover our *****). All RV mfr's are guilty of making heavier and heavier coaches which forces us to have to go to 350's/450's or DRW's. Yes I towed w/ our '03 for 11 years w/o a problem, but always on guard while doing so. IMO, 250's should tow <14k RV and pin of 1800-2500 MAX.

avvidclif

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but would like to add to snokings comments. We had a '03 F250 PSD,cc,4x4,sb, 50 gallon T-flow tank and rated for 8600 GVW. Max 5er weight was 10,000 and max combo wt was 20,000. Weighed on a CAT scale, she came in at 8500 lbs by ITSELF!. With 5er, fully loaded, trucked weighed 10,500 and combo of 21,500. If I recall right, it was near capacity on rear axle, below front, but over on gross. Tho truck towed it just fine, had to be in mindset of leaving a gap between me and person in front.

This being said, we got rid of the '03 and now have a '15 F350 PSD, CC, SB, 4x4, SRW, 50 gallon T-flow tank and she weighs the same as the '03 did within a few lbs. GVW is 11,500, max 5er weight is 15,700 and combo is 22-23,000. Will be getting a BC 3560SS which will pretty much max out the 350 in SRW form. By my early rough calculations, will be over one the ratings between 500-1500 lbs (could be wrong). Like snoking said, I too don't condone towing overloaded. 1,000 lbs is 1,000 lbs,but shouldn't kill the truck. If 3-5000, that's a different story. It's your call, but just keep in mind leaving a gap all the time which someone will always fill.

A friend of mine years ago told me that all mfr's test their trucks with weight far more than we will ever carry to find their breaking points (probly twice that of what they tell us we can tow safely). All this to CTA (cover their *****). Also, in regards to the Ford line, back in early 2000's, their 350's were rated at 9,900 and folks towing 15-16K w/ them. Don't recall a lot of fuss then. Now the 250's have a GVW of 10K and 350's (SRW's) 11,500. With sue happy atty's nowadays, we have to COA (cover our *****). All RV mfr's are guilty of making heavier and heavier coaches which forces us to have to go to 350's/450's or DRW's. Yes I towed w/ our '03 for 11 years w/o a problem, but always on guard while doing so. IMO, 250's should tow <14k RV and pin of 1800-2500 MAX.

There is a huge difference in what a truck can tow and what it can carry. With 5th wheels it's not the weight behind the TV it's the weight in the bed. Weigh your new TV with the 50 gal tank full, hitch in place and loaded. Then see what you have left for payload. Since the RV weighs in over 13,420 dry with a hitch weight (dry) of 2888 I question it being under very few limits. 2 cents.

There is ahuge difference in