5th Wheel Length to Maximize Park Access

Dan54

We currently have a 38 ft 2011 Landmark that we are considering upgrading to a newer model. It’s interesting some of the pricing out there. In just a couple of minutes online a used 2020 Landmark advertised for 85k & a new 2021 Landmark for 80k. Anyway, some of the used models are over 40 ft & I know some national parks have length limits. I wonder if other campgrounds have similar limits. In planning trips have you found it difficult to book sights with trailers over 40-44 ft?
Also, I’ve heard it’s a buyers market right now, what thoughts do you have at what type of offer to make on a 75-85k trailer? New, used make a difference?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob.jr

I would not buy used. I think you would be buying someone else's headache. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

We've been told that many National and State parks limit length to 35 feet. I know one couple who were allowed in with a 35 ft and couldn't navigate parts of the park. I've never had an issue with our 3270rs.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We currently have a 38 ft 2011 Landmark that we are considering upgrading to a newer model. It’s interesting some of the pricing out there. In just a couple of minutes online a used 2020 Landmark advertised for 85k & a new 2021 Landmark for 80k. Anyway, some of the used models are over 40 ft & I know some national parks have length limits. I wonder if other campgrounds have similar limits. In planning trips have you found it difficult to book sights with trailers over 40-44 ft?
Also, I’ve heard it’s a buyers market right now, what thoughts do you have at what type of offer to make on a 75-85k trailer? New, used make a difference?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We have a 36’ Bighorn, the shortest one in the line up, so we have increased opportunities to stay in public campgrounds.
There are spots for 40’ plus rigs in many public park campgrounds but they are limited.
Commercial RV parks are more accessible and accommodating than the aforementioned.
We know folks with the larger rigs that stay in public campgrounds but with some pre-planning to reserve the larger sites

taskswap

Stated length limits aside, it depends what parks you want to go to. We live near RMNP and camp at Moraine Campground almost every year and I don't think you'd fit even a 36' rig in any of them. They just aren't deep enough, and the corners are too tight. The longest camper we ever fit in there was our old Sunset Trail M-32BH (35' total length) and that was VERY tight and only a few sites would fit it.

Pro tip: when national parks can't fit your rig a lot of times you'll find state parks and campgrounds nearby that do. Here in CO just about every state park is big-rig-accessible, with 60' deep (or more) sites.

So maybe make a list of specific places you want accessible?

jmarnell

We travel with a 45 foot long Cyclone, and if you plan ahead you can almost always find places to accommodate rigs that large. Yes, you won't be able to stay inside most national parks. But there are usually commercial campgrounds just outside the parks where you can stay. We haven't found the size of our rig to be a problem for our travels. We just plan ahead and locate the campgrounds that will handle us and plan our route accordingly.

thewanderingeight

I think others have made some good points already about researching where you want to go. Our Milestone is just under 45ft and we have had some tight squeezes even though the site said we could fit. When you pull into a campground and all you see are pop up’s, and everyone is looking at you, you start to question your decisions.

If you want to ensure you’d fit absolutely everywhere, you would have to go pretty small. We usually just try and find a park as close as possible to the National park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk