Let's talk about Air bags for my truck

wingfoot

Thanks guys.
I bought a gauge yesterday...put 5# in the bags..the truck is not level and this may be OK. 5# will raise the rear end about 1.5"..It's noticeable while driving the truck..I guess I'll have to live with it..don't like it though.

Larry

Rrloren

Thanks guys.
I bought a gauge yesterday...put 5# in the bags..the truck is not level and this may be OK. 5# will raise the rear end about 1.5"..It's noticeable while driving the truck..I guess I'll have to live with it..don't like it though.

Larry

I run about a lb. when not towing and doesn't seem to change bed height at all. I use 20 to 25 when towing my Sundance and that brings my truck back to level. 5 lbs. is too much with no load on truck,IMHO.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Raising the truck 2" with only 10-psi makes me think the bags may not be installed correctly. I called Firestone to find out the proper installation height as follows.... The bags should not be compressed when installed, they should slide in without a gap on the upper bracket. (just touching the upper bracket with zero psi)

wingfoot

I run about a lb. when not towing and doesn't seem to change bed height at all. I use 20 to 25 when towing my Sundance and that brings my truck back to level. 5 lbs. is too much with no load on truck,IMHO.

I'm not sure about 1.0# psi..below is a screen shot of the reccomended MINIMUM air pressure one should run...You may be alright...just saying.

click image to enlarge:
minimum PSI.jpg

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
I am amazed that 5 psi is raising the rear of your truck 1.5 inches. Must be a Ford thing.
Just went out and played with mine to see, 5 psi made absolutely no difference, 10 psi changed my bed hieght about 1/4 inch

mmomega

AnyTimer
5-10 doesn't change the height on my other truck either and it's a ford. Once I start hitting 15-30 you can watch it raise quite a bit. I'll get a tape measure out tomorrow just for S&Gs and see how much it raises every 5 lbs.
im using the in cab analog gauge that came with the air compressor kit.

wingfoot

I stopped to see the service shop that does all my spring, Hitch, and axle work. I have done business with them for years. It just so happened they were installing a Firestone RideRite system on a 2004 Ford F250 LWB truck. They hadn't installed it yet so we got a look at the mounting brackets/lower pedistals. By their measurements, the lower brackets/pedistals that mounts on top of the axle were at least almost two inches longer. They concluded that the lower pedestals/brackets were too long.
I contacted Firestone, sent them pictures and I am awaiting their explanation.
Below you will see the pictures of the lower pedestals.

100_0197.jpg100_0198.jpg100_0196.jpg100_0199.JPG100_0204.JPG

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I stopped to see the service shop that does all my spring, Hitch, and axle work. I have done business with them for years. It just so happened they were installing a Firestone RideRite system on a 2004 Ford F250 LWB truck. They hadn't installed it yet so we got a look at the mounting brackets/lower pedistals. By their measurements, the lower brackets/pedistals that mounts on top of the axle were at least almost two inches longer. They concluded that the lower pedestals/brackets were too long.
I contacted Firestone, sent them pictures and I am awaiting their explanation.
Below you will see the pictures of the lower pedestals.

View attachment 18412View attachment 18413View attachment 18414View attachment 18415View attachment 18416

Good photos.....it shows your bags are squished too much. When installed with no air they should be within -1" of the originial out of the box height.

My Firestones have 3 height adjustments on the lower bracket.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I'm guessing they sent the kit for an F350 SRW 4WD which comes from the factory with 4" blocks in the rear as opposed to an F250 which comes with 2" blocks. That could explain the problem, it looks exactly like the kit on my 350SRW. Weird the package says for both, a F350 DRW has 2" from factory.

Edit:*** Also if I am not mistaken, but I could be, they send you an extra piece for a 350. That little piece I marked on the attached image was optional on my bracket. So if you have an F350 you bolt that piece on which raises the lower bracket 2 inches. If you have an F250 you don't install that piece and the lower bracket sits on the axle housing and there are 2 higher bolt holes that the leaf spring C- clamp bolts into once the lower bracket has been dropped.
I'll go snap a pic of mine in a min.

Attachments

• airbags.jpg
    airbags.jpg
    694.5 KB · Views: 31

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Yes now we are getting it figured out. You definatly have an incorrect part. I would go ahaead and take them off before you put a load on the truck. Hope they get you straight and send you the right kit. The bags should llok like they are extended alll the way out even with no air in them,

Edit: Its not a good picture, cell phone, but this is a shot of mine with 3 psi
1332887707558.jpg

wingfoot

Yes now we are getting it figured out. You definatly have an incorrect part. I would go ahaead and take them off before you put a load on the truck. Hope they get you straight and send you the right kit. The bags should llok like they are extended alll the way out even with no air in them,

Yep...but you know what, I'm going to have to pay twice to have these bags put on. Can't do it myself so had to pay to have them put on. Firestone admits that RideRite system #2398 should have worked...but they went on to say "once in a great while the 2398 will not work on my truck". So, they are sending me a kit #2071 that they say will work..but no help on the second install..Too bad! They also said the Ford has so many different frame/suspension offerings for the 05'

Again, take a look at the packaging as it depicts application:

100_0204.JPG

Last edited:

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Hopefully who ever you are paying to switch them out isnt charging you alot. Just switching out the bags and brackets shouldnt take more than 1 hour. Wish you were close by I would do it for you.

Last edited:

wingfoot

Hopefully who ever you are paying to switch them out isnt charging you alot. Just switching out the bags and brackets shouldnt take more than 1 hour. Wish you close by I would do it for you.

Thanks Wesley..Nice offer. Maybe the guy who installed the first ones will cut me some slack. We should be able to keep the air lines...just replace the bags.
I'll be back in a position in a couple of weeks to do my own work, always have, except recently.
Thanks again for the offer.

Larry

porthole

Retired
Your shop that does all your spring and hitch work is going to charge you for installing the wrong kit?

Just from your pictures it looks like the kit is for a 2" lift truck. Any decent tech should have realized when they were trying to "squeeze" the bags in that something was wrong.

They installed the kit, they should be responsible too. Even if Firestone sent the wrong parts there is some issue that falls back on the shop.

Firestone is not easy to deal with, JD is finding that out with trying to get a Firestone kit for his truck (BTW JD, Tony sent me a note saying the springs have shipped).

My take would be, take it back to the shop and have them remove an obviously installed wrong kit with the wrong parts.

Then call Air Lift and get a kit that will fit. Air Lift bags are also made a bit different and offer a better ride potential as they have an equal amount of lift with less air pressure.

If your interested, there is an Air Lift factory Rep that spends time on the Ford Truck Enthusiast forum.
These kits really are not that hard to instal.
Here is a do it yourself video on FTE.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1032625-airbags-installation-video.html

The third post on this thread is from teh Air Lift rep.
I wouldn't hesitate to send him a PM or even start a thread over there. Mike has been helpful even with competing products.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1135123-air-lift-air-springs.html

BTW, even if you have to keep your firestone kit, you can always add the Air Lift wireless kit later, which is a great addition.

porthole

Retired
Looking at Air Lift's site, there are four possible kits for your 05 F-250 2WD.
Makes me think Firestone will have as many possible combos too.

http://shop.airliftcompany.com/dyn_search_vehicle?k=0

Attached is the Air Lift tech sheet that led me to getting their bags when I had the GMC.

BTW, I liked that wireless controller enough that when I sold the GMC I pulled the bags and wire less kit. I will be installing the kit on my air ride hitch when I pull it out of storage.

Attachments

• air_bag_VS_FIRESTONE.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 17

wingfoot

Your shop that does all your spring and hitch work is going to charge you for installing the wrong kit?

Just from your pictures it looks like the kit is for a 2" lift truck. Any decent tech should have realized when they were trying to "squeeze" the bags in that something was wrong.

They installed the kit, they should be responsible too. Even if Firestone sent the wrong parts there is some issue that falls back on the shop.

Firestone is not easy to deal with, JD is finding that out with trying to get a Firestone kit for his truck (BTW JD, Tony sent me a note saying the springs have shipped).

My take would be, take it back to the shop and have them remove an obviously installed wrong kit with the wrong parts.

Then call Air Lift and get a kit that will fit. Air Lift bags are also made a bit different and offer a better ride potential as they have an equal amount of lift with less air pressure.

If your interested, there is an Air Lift factory Rep that spends time on the Ford Truck Enthusiast forum.
These kits really are not that hard to instal.
Here is a do it yourself video on FTE.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1032625-airbags-installation-video.html

The third post on this thread is from teh Air Lift rep.
I wouldn't hesitate to send him a PM or even start a thread over there. Mike has been helpful even with competing products.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1135123-air-lift-air-springs.html

BTW, even if you have to keep your firestone kit, you can always add the Air Lift wireless kit later, which is a great addition.

No, No, No........I ordered the kit from Summit racing and had it installed by someone my self..Summit racing and Firestone both agree that I/Summit Racing ordered what Firestone said was the correct kit (2398)..but if you reread my post, Firestone stated in some rare cases on the 05' the kit doesn't work..So, I can't hold my install people accountable for Firestone's debacle.

Urban350

The other reason they may not do it for free, but they may reduce the labor amount, is that the shop did not supply the parts. I no I would not warranty anything I did not sell. If they were not familiar with the part they may not have known it was wrong.

porthole

Retired
No, No, No........I ordered the kit from Summit racing and had it installed by someone my self..Summit racing and Firestone both agree that I/Summit Racing ordered what Firestone said was the correct kit (2398)..but if you reread my post, Firestone stated in some rare cases on the 05' the kit doesn't work..So, I can't hold my install people accountable for Firestone's debacle.

I missed the part of you ordering the kit.

But, I still place some of it on the installer. I am an auto/light truck tech by trade, and there is no reason why the installer did not pick up on what looks to be an incorrect kit.

That said, I have had parts in the past that were obviously the wrong part for the kit.
I haven't had any manufacturer not step up and get the right parts out to me. I am surprised Firestone is not making this right. Both with parts and the labor to correct.