Level up: Do you still chock the tires?

NH5er

Do you all still chock the tires with your level up? With our previous 5er we used the X-Chock, but haven't used it with the Level up. Just wondering what others are doing.
Thanks
Jim

MCTalley

We put a pair of triangular chocks in front of and behind the tires on at least one side of our rig before we unhook it from the truck. If it is obvious the tires on one side will unload or be lifted off the ground during the leveling processing, we'll move the chocks to the side where the tires will stay on the ground. We have four chocks and sometimes will put all four on the ground (two on each side), especially if the site is unlevel front to back.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Absolutely! Chocks are first thing on before unhitching and last thing off before pulling out of the site.

avvidclif

I use the front of/behind the tire chocks, not the x-chocks. If the trailer is not level when I unhook the trailer could roll frontwards or backwards and damage the front level-up legs. Remember the rears are not down yet. Same for unhooking, chocks keep the trailer from moving until the TV is holding it. Once it levels up sometimes the tires are not touching the chocks but that's OK, they will be there when the trailer comes down to hook up.

Long story short, chock the tires to keep the trailer from rolling, no matter how you level it.

dbbls59

I don't use them if the trailer is reasonably level. With 3000 pounds pushing down on the landing legs, it's not going to roll very easy.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We have them but have not used them after we got our level up in 09 . Have had no problems with rolling.

buddyboy

We always do. First thing we do when we park and last thing we do before we leave. Might not be required, but part of our standard procedure.

MTPockets

My opinion - Chocking is mandatory; regardless of what others do or not. There are times when forward or rear movement will occur while hitching or un-hitching. That chock will hold the trailer until you are safely hitched. It's best to maintain the habit for safety's sake.

jjriker

We put the chocks that go in front of and behind the tires while we are unhitching. Then we use the Level-up. And then we put the X-chocks in before we put the slides out. Just make sure to remove the X-chocks before you send the rig back to hitching up height when you are getting ready to leave.

farside291

When we had our old 36' coachmen I pulled the lever on the fifth wheel hitch and the trailer rolled backwards about 5 feet skidding on the front landing gear and stopped when it hit the parking block at the back of the site. Scared the fire out of me. Next stop would have been the lake! Talk about feeling helpless. I think chocks are a must when unhooking on an unlevel site. Not so much on a level site or with the 6 point level up system down. Heck, sometimes one entire set of wheels are not even on the ground! Chocks won't do much good in that case. Don't use the king pin stabilizer anymore either, most of the time it was too short to reach the king pin once leveled.

pegmikef

As most have said, I use wheel chocks front and back regardless of the grade and put them down before I unhitch. I have seen the trailer slide of the front landing jacks when the surface is gravel. With my Reese elite hitch, you often have to back the truck up just a tad, to take the pressure off the hitch lock so you open it manually and the chocks keep the trailer from moving (yes, it will slide even on cement pads). The reverse is true when hooking up, you often have to pull forward a tad until you hear the "click" indicating the hitch is fully locked. Same deal, chocks keep trailer from pulling forward.

happykraut

Several months ago a storm came through a local RV park. It totaled out a Big Country and several other rigs got damaged. I noticed that some rigs had gotten blown off there pads. I would thing that chocks would have helped from getting some rigs blown around. All level spots by the way.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Several months ago a storm came through a local RV park. It totaled out a Big Country and several other rigs got damaged. I noticed that some rigs had gotten blown off there pads. I would thing that chocks would have helped from getting some rigs blown around. All level spots by the way.

Not sure about that, our first year of ownership had straight line winds (or possibly F-0 tornadic winds) knock our rig off the front blocks in our storage lot, bending one of the landing gear. I found 2 of our wheel chocks 5-10 feet away from the rig! Granted, they were the little yellow ones from WM. Storage lot was made of recycled asphalt. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441168556.321810.jpg

We always chock the wheels, both sides, before unhitching . Also use X chocks if we are going to be there a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I use the X-chocks and the yellow ones I got at Camping World many years ago for our first travel trailer.

I put the X-chocks in first . . . then put the yellow ones in after I get the trailer level.

NH5er

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Since I already have the X-Chocks I will go back to using them along with the Level-up system.
Jim

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I have Level Up as well but still use chocks in front and behind the tires on at least one side every time for one simple reason "Safety".