Level-Up System Zero Setting The Control

Squatty

On another thread here in the Forum, someone attached the instructions for re-establishiing the 'level' point for the Level-Up System. Since my unit was not level when I used the Auto Level function, I tried the process. It didn't work at all. After fumbling around for a solution, I called Lippert Customer Service. They were very helpful. It seems I needed to remove all power to the 'Brains' before I could proceed. Lo and behold, it worked.
As a side item to this, I also found out that resetting the zero point only sets the front-to-rear level point - not side-to-side. Evidently the side-to-side is permanently set in a module located under the rear of the 5th wheel and cannot be reset.
Thanks to Lippert for very quick response.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That seems odd that it will not reset side to side.
There are four of us sitting here right now and all agree that we have reset side to side level.
You went through the process, manually leveled the rig and the told the system, ok this is the new level?

Peace
Dave

Squatty

Well, I thought it would reset "level", meaning all axis. But, I couldn't complete the process. Per the Lippert Tech, if the rear jacks are deployed, it disables the zero reset function. I tried the process with the unit completely leveled w/ both front and rear jacks deployed, and the control panel will not turn itself ON after pressing the front & rear buttons ten times each (steps 2 & 3). I have not tried it on a perfectly level side to side surface with only the front jacks deployed.

Squatty

6-Point. So when I say 'rear jacks', I am speaking of the two jacks mid-ship and two jacks aft of axles. 'Front' refers to the landing jacks to lift front of unit.

RCF

Just reset mine a couple of weeks ago. It worked with the rear legs down for me. Also seemed to calibrate front to rear and side to side just fine.

Squatty

It makes sense that it should reset both axis, but the Tech said no, and my initial try didn't work. I'm going to try it again today with the rear jacks deployed, and if that doesn't work, I will level it side to side using wheel ramps and try it again. Then I'll test it to make sure it reset properly. More later.

danemayer

Looking at the Lippert manual for 6 point, it refers to the middle jacks as stabilizers and says the middle stabilizers are not used in the zero calibration process. When the tech said rear jacks down disables the process, maybe he meant middle stabilizers.

Reading the directions very literally, you would start with front jacks down, begin pressing buttons, and then when it indicates it's in Zero Calibration Mode, begin to manually level using front and rear jacks. Then complete the reset process.

And regardless of what you've been told, before completing the process by pressing ENTER, get the coach level side-to-side as well.

Attachments

• Lippert Ground Control-6-point - Web.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 65

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just to be clear, at least for me, you have six hydraulic jacks. Not four hydraulics plus the rear electric stabs?

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Squatty

I have the "LCI Level-Up with Automatic Leveling" system on my 2013 Landmark. This system consists of 6 hydraulic jacks - no scissor jacks. The manual that Dan attached is for a different type of system. Now the good news! I tried leveling the 5th wheel using the manual mode on the control panel. All 6 hydraulic jacks were deployed and the unit was perfectly level. The Zero Calibration process did not work. I tried resetting the power again and still no go. So, I retracted the jacks, hitched it to the truck and manually leveled it side to side with only wheel ramps and boards. Then, released the truck and used the front jacks to level it front to rear. The Zero Calibration process worked - at least it said it did. So, I hitched the truck back up, moved the unit off of the ramps/boards. I unhitched it from the truck and used the "Auto Level" function, and it worked - I was now level side-to-side and front-to-rear using only the hydraulic jacks. Yea, I am so happy.
Now I get to go remove a tire to have a valve core replaced. It seems when I checked the pressure last time the valve core stuck open a bit, deflating the tire some. I have it reinflated now and it is holding air, but I'm going to have it repaired anyway. Don't need one of those blowing out on me.
Again, thanks to all for the input and help.

dave10a

Setting zero point on my 6 point auto-level worked fine. How ever I had hit the button one more time than the instructions called out. I think it said hit it 10 times and it took 11 times-- evidently the programmer who wrote the software considered zero as a real number-- which it is :) I set the zero level to slightly less than 0.1 deg off level so water would run off the roof better from the A/C.

porthole

Retired
When I have reset mine, it worked as the manual described.

I leveled the trailer manually using only the hydraulic jacks. I then raised the front slightly and the door side slightly. I did this to allow the AC condensate to run off the left rear corner of the trailer.
Following the procedure in the manual gives me "my level" which is not "bubble level".

When you do a zero calibrate all you are doing is setting the system to what the current attitude is you have your trailer at.

When I spoke to spoke to the engineer designer Bob at Nashville I specifically asked him what is level - in his mind.
For him level is when he cracks an egg and it stays in the center of the pan.

I told him my idea of level and in minutes he demonstrated on his demo 5th wheel the simple procedure, then reset it for his version of level.

From the manual:

ZERO SETTING THE CONTROL
1. Turn “ON/OFF” button “OFF”
2. Push “FRONT” button 10 times,
3. Push “REAR” button 10 times
4. Control will flash and beep, LCD says “ZERO POINT CALIBRATE”
5. To memorize this level condition , press “ENTER”
6. LCD says “ZERO POINT STABILITY SUCCESSFULLY SET”
7. The control will then turn off.
8. Turn “ON/OFF” on to commence operation.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
After accidentally bumping "the box"....just re-zeroed to our level, just like above...worked great!

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Porthole,

When did you set your ZERO level? WHile on the ground or hooked to your truck or after you set the unit level on site by manually leveling it? ALso are your above directions for 4 point level up or 6 point level up systems.

Murry

RCF

Porthole,

When did you set your ZERO level? WHile on the ground or hooked to your truck or after you set the unit level on site by manually leveling it? ALso are your above directions for 4 point level up or 6 point level up systems.

Murry

Not Porthole, but I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. I used the auto-level function when we set-up on Friday night, but I could tell we were not quite level. Next morning I adjusted it manually with all legs down, then went through the calibration procedure just as Porthole posted. I have the 6 point system, and it worked fine.

porthole

Retired
Porthole,

Murry

Jim,
Off the truck. I let the trailer "auto level", then made my adjustments to get it slightly off. Like I said, a bit nose and door side high. This keeps the AC condensate off the pups.

My shower drains just fine.

After making my adjustment I re-did the zero. I don't know about the directions. The complete file is attached. The manual doesn't specify 4 or 6 jacks, but does mention the rear stabilizers. Mine are not tied into the control module.

Attachments

• LevelUp-Lippert.pdf
    113.9 KB · Views: 42

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Thanks Duane, I never "ZERO'd" it but it always seems to work fine so I am going to leave well enough alone. Did learn that you only get one try at Auto Level if it does not work you have to power down and then power up again and then auto level. More knowledge for the warehouse full of useless knowledge, my brain.