Leveling question

New to RVing..bought an new 32BUDS in late December, been out 7 weekends since then and we LOVE IT!!!

Here is a question for the group..I go to great pains to level the trailer when we set up, getting it just right. After leveling, I put the 2 driver side slides out, and the level is off, leaning towards the side with the slide outs. It's not bad, but noticeable, and it drives me crazy.

Can an any one see any issues with putting the tires up on 1in pads on the passenger side to offset the lean the slide create? Any other ideas or recommendations?

Thanks!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your trailer is leaning toward the off door side when the slides go out, you will need to add that 1" board on the off door side with the slides.
That's dependant on if that side is one inch off level. You may have to add more or less.
Many people people add a little extra on the side of the slide out just for the reason you mention.

Peace
Dave

'Lil Guy'

I wouldn't think that the slides would cause it to be out of level by a full inch But it's no big deal whether its 5/8 or 1". Just compensate for it. Are you getting your stabilizers down with enough pressure on them?
Just figure out the amount needed and add it when you're leveling. A little high til the slides go out and then you're on the money. I used to try to get it perfect but decided I would rather drink a beer and as long as I didn't roll out of bed, it was OK.
It comes down to what you are comfortable with on alignment. Only thing critical is the 2 to 3 degrees for the refrigerator to work properly.
Just pulled up your floorplan. You do have some weight going out on that side. Again, just add what you need before you let them out and let it drop to level and there isn't any issue with raising the tires with pads. I've been in state parks with my 21FBS and had to do some serious leveling.
Enjoy your rig and have a great day

caissiel

If stabilizers are out and firm the front and back should not move. But the frame will flex at the center due to slide weight.
Stabilizer at mid point will prevent the loadong on the axles.

I installed midpoint stabilizers on my 40 ft 5 th wheel due to long frame supported at the middle by the springs that allowed frame flex.

GWRam

One my last trailer with all the slides on the off door side, I always added 1 extra leveling block row above level so that when the slides come out everything is level. Simple fix. Enjoy your camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The orange plastic leveling blocks (come in a bag) are what I use. With 2 slides on the ODS it always leans that way. 1 under each tire fixes the lean.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you guys are all talking about leveling on a flat resort pad, I agree with the comments above.

To the OP, I have been on every conceivable slope and irregular surface when parked and leveling can vary in almost every different situation. JMHO. Trace

dghofstee

Loud Mouthed Member
dennismpatrick,

I too have a 32BUDS and experience the same slide leveling issues. I bought several 2x6" boards long enough to fit both tires with the widetrax axle placement. I also purchased slide stabilizer jacks. They are a little more labor intensive in the setup, but for a long week trip they are nice to have. They really help the side to side sway. I bought pads for them, because the slide really have no frame to support.

At the end of the day it depends on how much setup you want to do on your trip. I am with Baker....On a short 2 nighter, I prefer to crack my beer minutes after I arrive, but on a week trip I am more apt to put in the extra time.

Crumgater

We noticed the same thing with our Elkridge... get perfectly level & set stabilizers... put slides out, and you were dipping, just a little bit.
We learned how far to compensate on our level gauge to know where we needed "level" to be.

We have since added the 4pt ground control leveling system - no more boards under the tires needed!!! Love it!!!

Sans1

I installed midpoint stabilizers on my 40 ft 5 th wheel due to long frame supported at the middle by the springs that allowed frame flex.

Wanted to know if the midpoint made enough of a difference to make it worth the time/effort to install? I would consider it minimal effort and would be doing myself so other than less than about $150 on the jacks this is cheap enough to do as long as it helps. I have a laundry list of minimal effort mods, yet somehow never seem to get them started.

Neighbor just got a new tow with hydraulic level system (not sure if bigfoot, lipert or something else) I am jealous and if we ever upgrade again (on 5th RV in 25 years - not counting tents) I will definitely have one added. I was actually contemplating added another set of scissor style jacks right in front of my forward axle when I saw this thread. Not sure why, but this 5ver seems to have more wobble than the last, maybe because it is heaver and a few feet longer. I already use the locking chocks on both sides. On my last 5ver, I was about to buy a kingpin stabilizer but instead added the locking chocks. This took care of the problem with it so never bought the kingpin stabilizer. Of course that is an option with this one too. I try to leave the truck connected when I can, but in many cases, the front usually needs to be too high to do this.