Life is Good - First fill up with new Aux Tank

Oregon_Camper

What a great day.... :cool:

Got my truck back, after having the ATA 45 gallon aux tank installed, with an in cab fuel gauge and on/off switch. Then headed over to Costco.

Making the day even better, was the fact our Costco just built a gas station. It has 4 lanes (8 rows of cars) that has 6 pumping stations per lane (3 pumps per lane...pumping to both sides), so 24 total cars can be getting filled at the same time. Here is the AWESOME part....you're not going to believe me....really!!! Every pump, yes all 24 filling stations have diesel. OMG....we are no longer the outcast, pushed over to the far lane, with only one pump.

I filled up both tanks and felt like a King while standing in the back of my truck, overlooking my Kingdom (while filling the aux tank).

Last bit of good news...it was only $1.79 per gallon. Yippee!!!!

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

Having an auxiliary tank is just the best! If I leave with both tanks full I can go almost anywhere I ever want and only have to make one fuel stop along the way....Don

szewczyk_john

I was under the impression that cost go got rid of all the diesel pumps and only sold gasoline. I would love to have my local cost go carry diesel. Their gas price is usually 10 to 15 cents lower than stations less than a mile away. good for you.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Enjoy that auxiliary tank while fuel prices are low. Your wallet likes it too!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTPockets

What a great day.... :cool:

Got my truck back, after having the ATA 45 gallon aux tank installed, with an in cab fuel gauge and on/off switch. Then headed over to Costco.

Making the day even better, was the fact our Costco just built a gas station. It has 4 lanes (8 rows of cars) that has 6 pumping stations per lane (3 pumps per lane...pumping to both sides), so 24 total cars can be getting filled at the same time. Here is the AWESOME part....you're not going to believe me....really!!! Every pump, yes all 24 filling stations have diesel. OMG....we are no longer the outcast, pushed over to the far lane, with only one pump.

I filled up both tanks and felt like a King while standing in the back of my truck, overlooking my Kingdom (while filling the aux tank).

Last bit of good news...it was only $1.79 per gallon. Yippee!!!!
That price is nice. Plus you're gonna love the miles between fills... Ours is our only vehicle and it's nice to go over 1000 miles between fills when not towing. Closer to 800 when towing...

travlingman

Diesel is $1.73 here in TN. I have a $.30 off discount at local station so I will be able to fill up truck at $1.43 a gallon plus 5% back on my Discover card.

With the weight of the auxiliary tank and loaded with fuel, how much weight does it add to truck? Does the weight go more to front axle since it is behind the cab?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Diesel is about 7.5 pounds per gallon, so do the math based on the size of your tank/tanks. A 60 gallon auxiliary tank weighs about 100 pounds. Filled with fuel, the total weight would be about 450 pounds.
I don't know for sure the distribution, but since an auxiliary tank is mounted around mid ship I would suspect that the added weight would be split front and rear.
These are only guesses as you will not get 60 gallons of fuel in a 60 gallon tank.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

Diesel is about 7.5 pounds per gallon, so do the math based on the size of your tank/tanks. A 60 gallon auxiliary tank weighs about 100 pounds. Filled with fuel, the total weight would be about 450 pounds.
I don't know for sure the distribution, but since an auxiliary tank is mounted around mid ship I would suspect that the added weight would be split front and rear.
These are only guesses as you will not get 60 gallons of fuel in a 60 gallon tank.

Peace
Dave
. Had ours weighed and with full 50 gal auxiliary and hitched up to 5vr with 3400 lbs pin weight, only added about 120 lbs to front axle. Bulk of weight is on rear axle.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
So your looking at about 340 pounds of fuel with 120 on the front and 220 added to the rear.
Sounds realistic.
I'm guessing there would be a difference in distribution on a short bed vs long bed. My tank was closer to the rear axle on my short bed than it is on my long bed.

Peace
Dave

dlw930

My 40 gal. RDS aux. tank/toolbox combo was delivered today. I would've gotten it installed and hooked up today, but I ordered the wrong valve/adapter kit. I ordered the Chevy/GMC kit for my 2011 Chevy, but didn't see the part that said if your Chevy is 2011 or newer, you should order the Ford/Dodge kit. How crazy is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
David, the 2011 and new GM trucks have a smaller main tank fill tube. Had the same issue with my 2013.

dlw930

That's right, Bob. My hose is 1 1/2" dia. and the adapter for the Chevy/GMC kit is for a 2" hose. I'm glad I checked the hose size before I cut the hose. The new part should be here tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk