Lippert Auto Levelers - Hydraulic Problem?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I've been reading down this thread. And see that Dan did finally mention to check your battery connections, also check your ground wire to the frame. If you can get to it remove it and clean it and reattach. A bad ground or loose wire can create a high resistance during a heavy draw causing the breaker to trip.
Also on the oil level issues did you check it hooked up to the TV (tow vehicle) with all 6 legs up and all slides in ?
The oil does not evaporate so if you are really that low with all legs up and slides in, you probably have a leak.
I think I read that you had the front legs down. That is alot of oil in those 2 jacks when there down.
Next thing to worry about is if you did add a bunch of oil with the jacks down,,,, when you pick them up that tank is going to over flow and make a big mess under there so keep an eye on it.
Good luck and I hope this info helps

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

I can't believe a 50A breaker requires 1500A to trip immediately. That has to be a misprint. Maybe 150A as that would be 3 times the rating. I double checked the data sheet and it really does say that.

Not a misprint. I am retired electrical engineer and designed equipment for NASA and military. Two times the rated current may take up to one minuet to trip. It depends on the circuit breakers design. Things have to heat up in order to trip it. Rated current at 75 degrees may trip in one or two hours or never trip. At 100 degrees rated current may trip the breaker in ten minuets or more. A large value discharging capacitor can easily push that kind of current for a few micro seconds. A big deep cell battery has very low internal resistance and in an instant can supply current like a capacitor. Now with the wiring resistance in the RV, it will never see that kind of current. But several hundred amps may trip it in a few seconds. Mil breakers specifications are set at a specific temperature at specified current and trip time. All guaranteed to repeat X number of times along with surviving a specified level shock and vibration. I don't like commercial breaker specification because they are not specific enough to know that each breaker will preform exactly the same except at the interrupting rating. All currents less than that can and will very. Thus the 50 amp breaker that trips and resets after a few seconds at 85 amps and another doesn't.

brianlajoie

[QUOTE

I think (hope) I resolved the issue. Upon further inspection, if looked like my AFT fluid was lower than I though (about 4 inches low). I added 2 quarts and am still a little low. I recycled the unit 5 times to clear out any air bubbles, and so far everything works great. I looked for leaks but couldn't find any. It is a 2014 (which we bought in 2013) so might just have needed fluid (I hope). Anyway, will go with that for now. If doesn't down the road it still doesn't work, I'll have some of those 50 amp fuses ready. [/QUOTE]

I had this same exact problem. However, I was in the middle of Wyoming when it happened. Turns out that the reservoir was low 2 quarts. No leaks. Go figure. I didn't catch this on the PDI, so now I mention it to everyone to check the reservoir with legs up and slides in. By the way it took many more cycling of the slides/legs before the air worked its way out of the system. I would watch that one leg as it retracts and give it some help if it doesn't go up by itself. Once the air was out of the system, we no longer had this problem.

Ldo

So, you check the hydraulic oil level with all leveling legs up and slides in; right?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

The problem was noticed 3 months after we bought the trailer. Once I added the ATF, I haven't lost any in over 2 years. I think it was an oops on the part of HL.

Ldo

Has anyone used the Anderson R V Levelers? The ones you drive up on and they rock to level. Any likes or dislikes? Ldo

Not sure where to post something. Our 2016 Big Horn is leaking fluid out of the hydraulic jacks in front. We have the self levelers. All the RV dealers here in Colorado are busy due to the awful hail storm and cannot help us. How do we fix this? Can we just continue to fill it up or will it fall or lock up? Never had this problem and not sure if it is safe so we can get home to TX. There was something called Bars level stop leak, is that worth it or just junk. Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Not sure where to post something. Our 2016 Big Horn is leaking fluid out of the hydraulic jacks in front. We have the self levelers. All the RV dealers here in Colorado are busy due to the awful hail storm and cannot help us. How do we fix this? Can we just continue to fill it up or will it fall or lock up? Never had this problem and not sure if it is safe so we can get home to TX. There was something called Bars level stop leak, is that worth it or just junk. Would appreciate any help. Thank you.
If it's a seal in one of your rams it will just continue to leak. It might get worse, it might not.
It will not fall or lock up you'll be fine.
If it were me I would not use any stop leak in that system.
Check it periodically while traveling to make sure it's not slowly creeping down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

Where are you in Colorado? I might suggest 2 RVIA/RVDA certified techs that I've used.

Bones

Has anyone used the Anderson R V Levelers? The ones you drive up on and they rock to level. Any likes or dislikes? Ldo

Yes I use them. They work well unless you are off kilter a lot then they need help.

1108150820b_HDR.jpg