Lippert Electric Auto Leveling System

Dave49

Is there anyone out there that has bought and installed this on there unit and if so the pro's and cons of doing it yourself and the all around use of it? They claim it's an easy install, along with a pretty good speed of the unit setting up.

Dave

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have had 2 Reico-Titan Wireless Ground Control system installed, one on an 08 Big Country and now on our 2012 Big Country. Lippert bought the system from Reico-Titan in 2011 and have done some modification to the system. As for installing it our-self, no, we had our dealer do it. With that being said, we do know a couple of HL owners who have installed it themself. Maybe Southernnights will chime in cuz he had installed the it himself.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I installed mine in 2011, before the rally. Pretty simple, actually, if you can access both OEM jacks from the front compartment. Took me two days, working alone at the storage yard.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave49, DH and I have this on "our list". We probably can install ourselves, because we've already added heating pads and many other improvement projects to our rig, so we know it "inside and out" pretty well. My main concerns are around the existing slide mechanisms -- making sure we locate the legs properly, and drilling into the frame, which is not easy. We are considering having it installed by professionals.

One thing I've learned is that any job we tackle always takes 3 times as long as we think it should, and 1 or more trips to Home Depot, to complete. ;)

jimpav

This might be a little late for this post, but just having installed the Ground Control level up system, one thing I highly recommend that I did is to replace the self tapping screws with some good grade 8 bolts and nuts in every hole. I just didn't have a good feeling about a by with no nut on the other end. The installation went pretty smoothly except that I had to grind some metal from the front gear locators to align with the GC tubes.no big deal. I also split the install into two days with the wire locating/fastening ordeal the first day, and then the drilling/fastening of the unit the second day.

JohnDar

This might be a little late for this post, but just having installed the Ground Control level up system, one thing I highly recommend that I did is to replace the self tapping screws with some good grade 8 bolts and nuts in every hole. I just didn't have a good feeling about a by with no nut on the other end. The installation went pretty smoothly except that I had to grind some metal from the front gear locators to align with the GC tubes.no big deal. I also split the install into two days with the wire locating/fastening ordeal the first day, and then the drilling/fastening of the unit the second day.

I did the same when I installed the system a couple of years ago. After snapping a couple of the ASTM307 bolts at way below the instructed torques, I bought grade 8's that were made in the USA and yellow dichromate coated.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
An update to post #4: We purchased the system at the Rally in Goshen, and ended up installing ourselves after all. DH had to purchase a good quality drill since we did not have one, and we borrowed a few other tools, like an impact driver (to loosen the underbelly).

Starting at 8am he was able to install the rear legs before lunch, and by dinner the whole system was operational. He did this on a grass site, hooked to the truck, with no help other than when I assisted him to fish the wiring harness across and along one side of the underbelly.

He still took more time a little later once we returned home to finish the placement of the control box, secure the extra wiring, adapt the external switch to fit our existing hole, and add a weather-proof cover to the switch.

There's a writeup of this in the latest issue of Heartland Highlights, if you are an HOC member you can read it here.

Since I assist with unhooking and setup, I get to use it, and I love it!

Erika

Gary521

I installed the Ground Control myself. Not too difficult but it does take some time. It does help to have an impact wrench to install the self tapping bolts. As far as how I like its use and functionality, it is fantastic. If you check, there are a couple of videos on the web that show the installation process.

jimpav

One caution I didn't mention earlier was that on my first time use last weekend we were assigned to an unlevel site. No big deal I thought because I now have a Ground Control installed. Long story short, the rear passenger side was quite a difference to the Ground vice the road side. As I raised the pass side up, the leveling block which I had placed under the paddle, shot out under the trailer about 25 feet to the other side. Good thing there wasn't anyone in the way. I then supplemented the jack with some wood and my bottle Jack. Yes, I was careful not to twist the frame. This Jack is now out about 7.5 degrees, and the other one is a normal 2 1/2 degrees canted outward. I think the OEM spec is about 2 1/2 degrees anyway. I also examined for cracked welds or bent brackets or bent I beam, of which there was none.

JohnDar

I use my 4x4 cribbing pads under the four jacks and the rear stabilizers. Even on unlevel sites, they've never moved.