Lippert Hyd Landing Gear PROBLEM!

navyAZ1

Hi All, just thought I would pass along the problem we have experienced with our hyd landing gear we had installed during the rally last June in case anyone else may have this same problem. I had noticed about a month ago that after the camper had set for around a week the landing gear leg on the "off door" side would leak down about 1½". I hooked up to the truck and releveled everything, a week later same thing. So, I contacted Lippert they told me to take it to an RV dealer and get it checked out. Took it to a dealer just south of us here RV World of Georgia they tested it according to Lippert's instructions and found there was air in the system and bled the majority of it out by disconnecting a line per Lippert's direction. However, it now needs to have ALL the air bled out even the tinyest bubbles, and this requires running the gear down and the slides out then retracting them, and then check for bubbles in the resevoir numerous times until no more bubbles are seen. I'm going to do this myself since the dealer stated it could take 1 hour or maybe as many as 6 hours you just don't know, and the service guy said this is something I can do and not have to pay them $70 an hour to accomplish this (I agreed). Lippert will not pay a warranty fee on this since it is not their failure of parts. Well, with my limited knowledge of hyd systems I honestly think that this is Lipperts fault and it is due to the fact that the system was not properly bled out upon installation. I sort of think that Lippert was overwhelmed with installs of these systems in June and that they could not take the proper amount of time for bleeding the system inorder to get you out the door and work on the next unit.

My whole concern here is that Lippert will not even pay for the diagnostic fee much less the cost of the tech's doing the bleeding of the system. I'm not being hateful towards Lippert as they did a great job of installing the system (other than bleeding). What I'm saying is that the cost of the diagnosis should be shouldered by them (Lippert) because if there is not a leak anywhere than how did this air get into the system other than from the initial install where it eventually gathered in one place in the affected leg causing the problem. Once I have the camper back home and I have the bill for the diagnostic fee I'm going to send it to Lippert with a firm but curtious letter asking that they reimburse me for this cost.

I would suggest anyone who had the hyd landing gear or the level-up system installed during the rally in June be ready for the same problem, and maybe even get ahead of it by checking your resevoir for bubbles when you retract you slides and landing gear, and if you see any start operating the system numerous times until they are gone.

Happy Travels,

Ron

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Maybe we were fortunate to be one of the first systems installed. They must have had the time to bleed it properly. We've had no issues so far and have used the rig many times since the rally. Knockin on wood here...

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I remember when Bob Tige and Ron installed mine at Trailair back in '09....they took alot of time to make sure the air was bled out. We've not had any problems like this....

GOTTOYS

I would think that for the HUGE discount Lippert was offering on these systems at the rally that the fee for a little diagnostic time and bleeding to get it perfect would be something I would be happy to pay..But maybe that's just me..Good luck..Don

navyAZ1

I would think that for the HUGE discount Lippert was offering on these systems at the rally that the fee for a little diagnostic time and bleeding to get it perfect would be something I would be happy to pay..But maybe that's just me..Good luck..Don

The discount price has nothing to do with this, the price is what they set at what they felt they could make money at by selling at high volume. A discounted price does not in any way authorize sub standard work, and I guess that's just ME!

navyAZ1

Really good news, just got an e-mail from Lippert and they will reimburse me for the diagnostic fee. We got the coach home ran the system about 8 times never did see any bubbles in the resevior, so I stopped. The coach has been sitting now for a few days and have not noticed any leak down in the landing gear. I guess when the RV techs broke that line loose as they were instructed by Lippert during the diagnostic process that must have let the majority of the air out of the system.

This is proof once again what I have always said, we get good service from Heartland and their vendors, plus I would say it is all in how you ask also!

Ron