Lippert/ Mor Ryde IS

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I am wanting to put IS on our coach which still has 11 months of warranty left on it from Lippert. Talked with Lippert and of course, warranty is voided is if any modifications are done to the frame. (Big Surprise:rolleyes:)

It appears that I will be up in in IN. around the beginning of April. For those who have IS or thinking seriously about getting it, do the pluses outweigh the voided warranty in your opinion??? it would seem to me that the IS would actually be better for the frame,etc.

I don't expect any problems with the frame but you never know...

jnbhobe

Larry; I have heard there is a new version of the IS coming out that does not raise the unit 3 to 4 in. Just for your info if you want to check into it.

SouthernNights

Have not heard that Jon. In my case raising the coach wouldnt hurt bit i am level now. My pinbox is up as high as it will go.
Any thing else different? Ben didnt say anything about changes.

t

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As far as I know, the only reason they add material to the frame is if the 5th wheel needs to be higher to get a level tow. Before they bring the rig in the shop, they park you in the middle of the street out front and measure the rig front & rear. They then calculate the amount of material needed to level the rig. The benefit is equal weight on the front & rear axle pairs. If you are level already, they may only need to add material for tire clearance above the tires. The end result is the cross members they install strengthen the frame and help prevent any flexing. I feel the end result is a stronger frame.

GOTTOYS

I don't have one yet, but it's on my list for this Summer. Getting rid of the springs, shackles, bolts and related hardware all of which is prone to breakage and installing a smooth riding suspension with a five year warranty, the ability to be easily aligned, more suspension travel and getting the trailer level sounds like reason enough to me. i can't see how this will have any possible negative effects on the frame. If something goes wrong with the frame it probably won't be a warranty issue anyway. Many of the high end units offer a MorRyde IS. If it's good enough for them..Don

jnbhobe

Have not heard that Jon. In my case raising the coach wouldnt hurt bit i am level now. My pinbox is up as high as it will go.
Any thing else different? Ben didnt say anything about changes.

t

I was told by the Mor-Ryde rep. at thr Cleveland RV Show a week ago. Call Ben or Gary and ask, he told me it wasn't in production yet.

SouthernNights

I was told by the Mor-Ryde rep. at thr Cleveland RV Show a week ago. Call Ben or Gary and ask, he told me it wasn't in production yet.

Thanks, I will shoot Ben an email now.

Ray and Don, I have to go along with both of y'alls thought process. In my mind it has to be better for the frame, I am just concerned if, down the road a few months, I have issues in-say the pinbox area, what will Lippert do.

I have never had any negative dealings with Lippert, but I don't want to give them any reason to decline a possible claim. So again, do the advantages of IS outweigh a possible problem if there are frame issues? I really hate hypothetical situations, but just trying to look at this from all sides and thinking out loud.

If there has been anyone with first hand experience, I would to hear about it.

Wharton

We had IS on our previous trailer and never even thought about the warranty on the frame when we had it put on our BH. I don't see how it would affect the frame warranty. I can see how it would affect the suspension warranty unless they consider suspension and frame the same.

We love the IS system, have it on our truck and on our trailer. Both are great.

Niles

We put it on our 3670 about two years ago along with the disc brakes, haven't had a issue yet. It rides 100% better in our opinion and we went with the 8K axles. I felt like the 7000# axles that came on the trailer were to light for the trailer from the beginning, went though two sets of springs that both flatten out. Ben and Gary are great to work with and the shop does a wonderful job. I would also highly recommend the disc brakes the stopping power is great. We didn't do the never lube bearings, doing it again might rethink that. Anyway, IMO you can't go wrong with mor-ryde.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Niles,

Looking at the Mor Ryde Disk breaks - is that an electric or hydraulic system? It is not 100% clear on their Web site.

Kevin

GOTTOYS

Niles,

Looking at the Mor Ryde Disk breaks - is that an electric or hydraulic system? It is not 100% clear on their Web site.

Kevin
The disc brakes are hydraulic over electric. They operate hydraulically from an electric powered pump/actuator that is part of the system. There is no such thing as an electric disc brake at this time...Don

porthole

Retired
MOR/ryde IS installed during my delivery pickup. Never gave the frame warranty a thought.

MOR/ryde work is top notch and when they finish, that area of the frame will be stronger then ever.
The box they weld on the frame serve two purposes, height adjustment and something solid for the IS to be welded too.

As to the pin box or other areas? Federal law already protects you there, might have a battle while you educate some folks, but the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Go for it and don't look back. Best part is after it is installed you will have a real warranty that offers a history of support. The only negatives I can think of is that you have to go to Indiana to get it, and the price. But for that price you get a substantial amount of fabrication and steel. Did I mention you actually get a warranty that is supported?

Call Ben or Gary and ask, he told me it wasn't in production yet.

Nothing against Gary, but Ben is the person you will be dealing with at the shop, and he knows what he is talking about. Gary is the traveling rep.

just concerned if, down the road a few months, I have issues in-say the pinbox area, what will Lippert do.

What they should do is fix the pin box, the IS has nothing to do with the pin

If there has been anyone with first hand experience, I would to hear about it.

One year of use and I stopped by the MOR/ryde shop to have my system inspected. I thought we may have chosen a too light shear spring.
Measurements were taken, springs were changed out under warranty, old springs were left in the trailer for spares (I kept two, gave two to SpringerDan) and I was sent on my way with no charges.

This year I again stopped for inspection, inspected, measurements taken again (OK this time) brakes were bled and had some air, and again on my way with no service charges. Granted, this time I did just have $800 worth of work done to the truck, but I can't say enough what a pleasure it is to deal with that outfit.

You are going to spend a lot of money there, and when you leave you will feel good about it.

porthole

Retired
We didn't do the never lube bearings, doing it again might rethink that.

From a mechanics point of view and the way the never lube mechanically work, I would pass. Somewhere on this site I gave a pretty good explanation with some cheesy drawings of why I think standard bearings are a better deal overall. And even though MOR/ryde sells them (give the customer what they want) there is a good chance Ben will not recommend them, especially with a heavier trailer.

Niles,

Kevin, if you use the MOR/ryde facility, they use a Carlisle 1600 PSI electrically operated hydraulic pump.
They also offer two types of disc brake systems. IIRC the standard bearings option uses Kodiak Disc Brakes which use standard GM/GMC brake pads, available just about anywhere.

SouthernNights

As to the pin box or other areas? Federal law already protects you there, might have a battle while you educate some folks, but the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

The Magnuson-Moss warranty act is for aftermarket replacement parts for routine maintenance, not for modifications. I have actually used this in small claims court several years ago.

I do agree about the Never Lube bearings. Would not want them or the EZ Lube-just give me the old fashioned bearing pack.

Ben did tell me that a lot of people question the warranty with Lippert is case of frame failure but he has no experience with it. I guess I am probably over thinking this.

porthole

Retired
The Magnuson-Moss warranty act is for aftermarket replacement parts for routine maintenance, not for modifications.

That is a benefit of the act, but not it's purpose.

[h=2]Purpose[/h] According to the Report of the House of Representatives which accompanied the law (House Report No. 93-1197, 93d Cong 2d Sess.) the Magnuson-Moss act was enacted by Congress in response to the widespread misuse by merchants of express warranties and disclaimers. The legislative history indicates that the purpose of the Act is to make warranties on consumer products more readily understood and enforceable and to provide the Federal Trade Commission with means to better protect consumers.[SUP][1][/SUP]
The statute is remedial in nature and is intended to protect consumers from deceptive warranty practices. Consumer products are not required to have warranties, but if one is given, it must comply with the Magnuson-Moss Act.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Niles,

Kevin

The disc brakes are hydraulic/electric. There is a master cylinder with brake fluid they mounted in the front basement area below the hydraulic fluid (for the jacks and sliides). We have had ours on almost 3 years and it has worked flawlessly.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
FYI - Gary used to be the shop foreman before he became their traveling saleman. Gary knows his stuff and we trust him. We have dealt with him on several occasions and he is a straight shooter.

Firerad1

After two years of research my bride and I ordered a 3585RL and because of the multitude of issues regarding the suspension component failures from the frame to the tires we ordered it through Great Lakes, RV in Elkhart. We ordered it with the Mor Ryde pin box, and Goodyear G-614 tires. We picked it up and took it directly to Mor Ryde and had Ben and crew leveled the RV side to side, since it was already sagging on the drivers side from the two slides and kitchenon the drivers side, level it front to back with my truck, give me the most bedrail height I could get, re-inforce the trailer frame and install the Mor Ryde 8k lb. IS with disc brakes. While in their shop, we put on TST sensors on and were ready to head south when the blizzard passed and the roads cleared. This was my way of foregoing all the time and money consuming failures that may occur down the road. We love our first fifth wheel and wanted to give the frame and everything above it the best chance of surviving the roads ahead.

It's a dream to tow and I love turning down my controller as the discs seat in and get better with every stop. We have less than 1,000 miles on it in the week we've left the shop, but we're looking forward to several cross country ventures, and a few more trips to Canada and Alaska before we hang up our keys. I feel very confident that we have a reliable system that will serve us well for years with safe driving and timely inspections and service.

Wharton

Firerad1,

Did you get your tires balanced while they were off the trailer at Mor/ryde? The tires aren't balanced at the factory.