Lippert Spring Slipping Back

jcarnevale

During my routine undercarriage inspection I noticed one of my springs had a leaf out of position. One of the leafs in the front right spring pack has moved back about 3 inches. I jacked up the frame to take the weight off the spring pack and loosened up the U-bolts but still couldn't get the leaf to move back into position. Another wonderful product from Lippert:(
IMAG0305.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Normally when a spring moves within the pack it is because of a loose U-bolt.
I am surprised that you cannot hammer it back in place.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

That doesn't look like the spring pack moved to me !!! You have two broken spring leafs and only have the main and second leafs holsing the rig up

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, after reading Jon's assessment, I think he may be right.
Broken spring.
Measure the opposite side leaf and see if it is longer than the one in your picture.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

If a leaf has moved in the spring pack, then the bolt in the center of the stack of springs that centers it in the axle mount has sheared or is missing for some reason. The spring needs to be removed and checked to find out why the bolt has sheared or if the spring is below the axle it may have just come loose and dropped out and allowed the leafs to move.

On edit:::After the forum got back to normal ... it would not let me see the pic... you have a broken spring.

jcarnevale

Just measured it, it's a broken leaf. Good eye jon ! Thanks for the quick Dr. visit :(

Next Question: Should I,
Change the leaf,
Change the whole spring pack,
Change all the spring packs,
or sell it and buy a Bighorn....

Last edited:

jcarnevale

I am actually heading to the factory on the 21st to tour the Bighorn plant, is there anybody at Heartland I should speak to that can look at this? It is out of warranty.

57chevyconvt

Replace the spring before you venture away from home base. Broken springs are not new to HL trailers. At the suggestion of one of our HLO members, I replaced the 4 leaf with 6 leaf spring prior to our recent trip to Alaska. Sure glad that I did, broken springs were reported along the way to and from Alaska. Would also recommend changing out the shackles to the HD shackles with wet bolts.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Contact Heartland Customer Service and show them pics, they may offer to reimburse you for a replacement (but I would upgrade).

jnbhobe

If I was keeping the rig I would replace all the springs, If I was trading it I would replace the two broken leafs. But either way I would not pull it very far the way it is.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just read this thread and no, don't go too far from where you're at with that spring. Springs are pretty cheap and easy enough to replace on the spot. I'd check locally for a place to replace all 4 and an alignment or DIY then go for the alignment.

rick_debbie_gallant

I just read this thread and no, don't go too far from where you're at with that spring. Springs are pretty cheap and easy enough to replace on the spot. I'd check locally for a place to replace all 4 and an alignment or DIY then go for the alignment.

I am wondering if it would be possible to put 8000 lb springs on. The trailer owner may have issues with the other springs as well, on both sides of the trailers. I think I would be looking for some American made springs, etc This Chinese stuff has got to go.Might as well do the brakes and axles as well as the bushings.

MTPockets

When I had my Big Horn for less than a week, I checked torque all all fasteners - The U-bolts were some of those well under torqe spec. Since that first re-torque, I've checked them and it took a couple times and a few hundred miles so they stay tight to spec. Just suggest that the U-bolt torqe check be on your maintenance list.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Before upgrading our 7K axles to 8K last year, we had 8K springs installed on the original axles...was not an issue. It looks like the OP has 6K axles/springs. Would not go bigger than 7K springs...too much spring is not a good idea...causes a really rough ride.

scotty

Replace the spring before you venture away from home base. Broken springs are not new to HL trailers. At the suggestion of one of our HLO members, I replaced the 4 leaf with 6 leaf spring prior to our recent trip to Alaska. Sure glad that I did, broken springs were reported along the way to and from Alaska. Would also recommend changing out the shackles to the HD shackles with wet bolts.
Totally agree. That's eactly what I did on my BH prior to springs breaking. Haven't looked back. Not all that expensive for piece of mind. I was actually surprised at how bad the original bushing were worn. Purchased springs {6 Left packs} locally. Ordered Wet Bolt kit from MorRide. I have a previous post back in 2010 , where I think I listed the price. Job was easy to do with a good bottle jack and common hand tools.

jcarnevale

The plan is to replace all 4 spring packs and upgrade to wet bolts. I have 6000 pound axles but do not want to affect the ride by stiffening the suspension with higher capacity springs. My initial thought is to increase the spring pack by 1 leave and stay with a 3000 pound capacity. The trailer bounces too much with the current spring package and does not have shock absorbers. We are not sure if we are keeping this rig. We are still at the campsite not far from home.
Thanks for all of the input.

MC9

Had the spring break in the same place. Took the spring off and took it to a local spring place. They replaced the broken spring for 20 bucks. Might cost more if they had to take the spring off and replace it. At any rate it is not a big deal and all your springs are not shot. Catch a pot hole just right and the hardened steel just snaps. You were lucky, they usually break at the hanger.

caissiel

I have been replacinfg springs on my 5th wheels since 98. With the previous trailer I broke a main ply and was left straded on a sunday with no shops open.
I alway change both springs on one axle everytime I install nes springs. This keeps the axle in alignment and equal quality on each side. Be it better or worst.

The 4 ply springs will break at the end of the shortest ply everytime. On the previous trailer I removed the short ply completly and the springs lasted longer though they were only 3 plies.

With my 6 plies unit on the BC, I have left the short ply on and been observing the performance closely.

I carry a spare set of springs with me since my first sunday breakdown, and can change a spring ply during the time DW makes me super. So its not a big deal as long as one only spring or ply is broken on one side.
I had 2 broken springs on one axle one time and its not a picnic to try to keep the axle ligned to install the pins on the first side.

jcarnevale

Yesterday was a long day. Woke up at 7 AM, broke camp at 10 and limped back to the yard by 11 o'clock. Drove up to Michigan Truck Spring in Saginaw and picked up four new springs and a box of wet bolts. Had the trailer up on blocks by 2 o'clock and my air ratchet decided to retire on the first spring:mad:. I can't think of a better reason to upgrade my tools:D. Anyway everything went smooth. Easy job just time consuming. Feel much better knowing whats under there is better than new!

Old broken four leaf spring loosened up ready to be removed.
IMAG0317.jpg

New five leaf spring installed.
IMAG0318.jpg

Michigan Truck Spring Part#: MTS-111
http://www.truckspring.com/trailer-...e-eye-trailer-springs.aspx?sortorder=1&page=3