LM 365 - Switch Location for Exterior Step Light

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
David and Fred,

While it's not expected for you to figure out why there's no apparent switch for your exterior under-step light, should you want to dig into it, I learned this from the plant today.

Your dealers will be able to sort all of this out and add, if missing, switch for your step light.

If you'd rather tear into yourself, that's up to you. If I was tearing into mine, I'd probably do the following:

1. Replace the bulb (if removed) to get the step light back on
  2. Pull the fuse panel from the wall
  3. Remove the fuse that feeds the two white/purple lines
  4. Check to see if step light went out - if not, continue pulling fuses (and replacing them as I go) until the light goes out
  5. With the correct white/purple feed line determined, and using a flashlight, look back into the wall to determine where that line goes (up or down). I'd pull switch panels (carefully) as needed to follow wire routing. If the wire goes down, I might pull the step-light off the frame and pull the wires and splices out the hole in the frame and using a helper, tug in both directions to see of the line appears to be continuous or not
In the end, if it appears my step light was hot-wired inadvertantly, then I'd add a switch in the switch panel area and mark it "Step Light".

Dave - if you don't figure yours out before Tampa, sounds like a project for the guys :) I probably have a brown switch if needed.

Jim,

Not a big deal to me and hauling the unit back to the dealer is a big deal. If someone could send me the brown switch then I could do it myself over one of the weekends.

Thanks,

Fred

jbeletti

Jim, Not a big deal to me and hauling the unit back to the dealer is a big deal. If someone could send me the brown switch then I could do it myself over one of the weekends.
Thanks, Fred

Fred - I've passed this request to the Customer Service team. Thanks for your email about Santa Fe today by the way.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Fred - I've passed this request to the Customer Service team. Thanks for your email about Santa Fe today by the way.

Jim,

Thanks for the help on the switch. Also look forward to meeting you in person when you get to Santa Fe.

Thanks again,

Fred

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our Ashland also had the step light with no switch. The tech that worked with us on our PDI actually noticed it first and told us about it. They found that the light was wired into one of the detector circuits and as such was always on. I had the dealer add a switch just inside the basement on the door side. We had the same light on our Sundance. It was switched, but we rarely used it.