Long Journey - What Should I look For

Greengas

As Sarah and I get ready to put our rig up at a local state park for 10 days to get it ready for our 8,000 mile trip this summer I got to thinking that I probably should be doing some preventative maintenance on my "drive train". By that I mean axles, brakes, suspension, etc. Vehicle maintenance has never been my strong point but I am willing to learn. So I am looking for recommendations on what I should be looking at and getting done. Then I figure that there is enough info on this forum, along with the expertise to go with it, to help me through actually completing the tasks.

Once we finish at Cherry Creek State Park, we will be heading down to the regional rally in Pueblo which is only a 2hr drive so if there are some maintenance items that I am just not comfortable tackling on my own, I hope that there might be an individual, or a few individuals, at the rally who might help, in exchange for some adult beverage maybe, educate and train me. :):):)

As always, looking forward to my pending education!

Gaffer

Have your axle bearings packed and your brakes inspected. Use a shop that will raise your rig by the frame, not the axles.

Greengas

Have your axle bearings packed and your brakes inspected. Use a shop that will raise your rig by the frame, not the axles.

Thanks for the advice. Is packing the bearings something that a person can do themselves or is a shop and pro tools required. As far the breaks I'm going to see if there is something on this forum with a guide.

Again, thanks for the guidance.

danemayer

Thanks for the advice. Is packing the bearings something that a person can do themselves or is a shop and pro tools required. As far the breaks I'm going to see if there is something on this forum with a guide.

Again, thanks for the guidance.

Ronn,

The Dexter Axle and Brake Service Manual is in this folder. 3rd one down.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Besides the bearings and brakes, check the torques on the U-bolts holding your springs and the hitch/pinbox bolts, as well as the wheel lug nuts. Take a look at the metal "keepers" on the spring sets and make sure they're in place and the leafs haven't shifted.

My rig maybe sees 500 miles a season, but I still check these things. I take it to our dealer for bearing service and brake checks, since I don't have a suitable place to work on it.