Long RV problems

In any written brochures look for the term, Big Rig Sites.
If you don't see that in the write up call the park and ask if they have Big Rig Sites.
A pull thru will sometimes work, but I've seen some short pull thru sites also.
Something else I've run across is you tell them your trailer length and they think that's you total length, find your total length, truck and trailer, and convey that length to them, saves you much confusion later.
I dealt with some really out to lunch people taking reservations in some parks.
Good Luck & welcome to Heartland.
Hockster

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Our last 5er was 31’. Now we are at 42’. Love all the extra space, Both inside and out.

Never had to many issues fitting into campgrounds. Some sites are definatly easier than others, but always manage to squeeze in. Calling ahead and calling early are good practice. I also found using Google Maps is a great way to zoom in and look at the campground layout and individual sites.

carl.swoyer

OK, getting closer day by day to my Heartland. I have been lurking awhile and Learning, as well as talking to RV owners in person.

I've heard that the long RVs have some issues in some parks due to their lengths and the parks not having long enough spaces for them. Is there a secret to locating good parks that can handle the 44' RW427 or CY4250?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel is right around 40 foot. With that in mind, I have found it's sometimes necessary to Cheat when I tell the park how long it is.
Currently I am at Patrick AFB and the last site available was designated for a 36' Rv.
So now I'm a 36 foot rig.
Got it in, a little tight, but I had room to spare.
I've done this before. Kinda rolling the dice but it works.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel is right around 40 foot. With that in mind, I have found it's sometimes necessary to Cheat when I tell the park how long it is.
Currently I am at Patrick AFB and the last site available was designated for a 36' Rv.
So now I'm a 36 foot rig.
Got it in, a little tight, but I had room to spare.
I've done this before. Kinda rolling the dice but it works.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I absolutely do this and have been doing it for years. Usually I can cheat by about 4 feet and not have a problem saying my rig is 36' rather than 40'. Trace

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

george637

That might work to tell them your rig is shorter, but not always. Last summer we reserved site 52 at JP Coleman state park in Mississippi. It was described as having a driveway of 50 feet, for a max trailer of 40 feet. Our rig is 36 feet, so we thought "no problem". When we got there, the driveway was actually 40 feet with ditches on all sides of the pavement and driveway. We had to go into the ditches to get the rig in. We damaged both our rig and truck trying to maneuver it. We were not happy campers! We'll be using the ruler feature on Google maps from now on, which we learned about on this forum. Thanks for that tip.

porthole

Retired
H'mm never knew you could measure on google maps like that. Turns out you can do it on Bing maps as well.

And if you type in google maps into the google search bar, the Millennium Falcon is among the top hits.