Look what I found.

jnbhobe

Besides what Chris said, have you ever looked to see where the grease goes and how it gets there when using the ez lube

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Besides what Chris said, have you ever looked to see where the grease goes and how it gets there when using the ez lube

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It goes in the center of the spindle and comes out between the inside bearing and the seal , it then has to travel though the bearing, fill the gap between the bearings and push out through the outside bearing. This process really "test's" the integrity of the seal. Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
But that still doesn't answer my question . . .

Why are the RV manufacturers still using them since they are such a big problem?

Maybe it is the same thing as the 'BlowMax Syndrome' . . .

rahewett

I checked all the bearings and seals and everything is good. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Rollin_Free

When I first looked at your pictures I thought the retainer was installed backwards but when I looked in the manual it appears to be the same retainer and is installed the way that your picture shows. This is the third type of retainer that I've seen and all of them are different. Other that duplicating what it looks like when taking it apart how do you know for sure if the retainer goes over the nut or between the nut and the bearing washer. The cotter pin is a no question replacement but these multi-fin retainers don't all seem to be the same.

I've read several of the responses and the discussion around using EZ lube, packing the hub, or just packing the bearings have really been discussed for many years by many trailer owners/manufactures. My take and what I follow is the bearing must be thoroughly packed with high temp grease, the hub should be filled with extra grease, and recently I've been using the EZ lube just to add a little more grease after reassembling. I don't agree to only pack the bearings. The extra grease in the hub is actually helping to cool the bearing grease and I believe as the temperature increases it adds cooler grease to the bearing surfaces. I'm sure there are flaws in my thinking but I've seen what locked bearing will due to an axle so I want as much protection in the hub as I can get. One other thing about using the EZ lube is I purchase the higher quality double lipped seal (about twice as much as the standard ones) to help with the extra pressure but I am also using a had driven grease gun and rotating the tire slowly to allow the pressure to stabilize. All I'm saying this works for me and I like the results.

Last edited:

rahewett

I have looked into it on Dexter's website and they changed to this after 2001. I have been in touch with Heartland today and the person I talked with in customer service was excellent. I hope this will go quickly as he is getting the axle company involved. I know everyone said I could just pick one up or order one but on principle that won't work for me. I feel I paid for it to be on the trailer and I expect one to be supplied to me, either by Heartland or Dexter.

rahewett

I would like to thank Ron Scarberry with Heartland customer service for his help with this matter. He contacted Dexter Axles on this matter and today I am happy to say I received the parts that I need to correct the problem. They actually sent more parts than I need. I will do final repairs this weekend and then it's off to do more camping.