Looking at Bighorns - ?? re Options

here4now

We are looking at Bighorns, and I have a couple of questions about the availability of options that I don't see on the MSRP list.

Is a heat pump option available for the Bighorn AC units? If available, what's the price?

Are the Goodyear G114 17.5" tires and wheels from the Landmark available on the Bighorn? If available, what's the price?

SNOKING

With all Big Horns having a max GVWR of 16K, why do you think you need 17.5 wheels and tires. We towed to Arizona pretty close to a full 16K and encountered high winds in Nevada. Rig was very stable and that was with a SRW truck out front. If you want 17.5 you should also want 8K axles, disc brakes and a higher GVWR, as the carrying capacity on the larger units is less than 2K. Our 3575el has 3K of CC, and we are using just about all of it. And that is without a washer and dryer.

I do not know how anyone could full time in the larger ones and not be overweight.

Chris

danemayer

Hi here4now,

Tom Montague, the Bighorn GM, may see your question and respond. If not, on Monday, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for Bighorn sales.

Btw, I upgraded our 16,000 lb Landmark to 17.5" Goodyear G114s 2 years ago after wearing out the original 16" Goodyear G614s. I wanted additional margin on the load carrying capacity. The G114s run cooler and look like they're wearing better. The GY G114s weigh 60 lbs vs 58 for the G614s. So that's an extra 10 lbs for 5 tires. The 17.5" wheels probably add a few pounds each as well. The extra weight isn't on the frame or suspension or axles, and fits easily within my towing capacity.

here4now

With all Big Horns having a max GVWR of 16K, why do you think you need 17.5 wheels and tires. We towed to Arizona pretty close to a full 16K and encountered high winds in Nevada. Rig was very stable and that was with a SRW truck out front. If you want 17.5 you should also want 8K axles, disc brakes and a higher GVWR, as the carrying capacity on the larger units is less than 2K. Our 3575el has 3K of CC, and we are using just about all of it. And that is without a washer and dryer.

I do not know how anyone could full time in the larger ones and not be overweight.

Chris
From what I see on this forum, Bighorns now come with Sailun 16" load range G tires, which are much better than the previous Towmax tires. However, it seems some people are still having problems. Maybe that's because of overloading as you suggest, but I was looking to be on the safe side. Maybe I am worried too much and don't really need 17.5" load range H tires, but I'd feel better if the 16" tires were Goodyear G614 instead of Sailun.

SNOKING

From what I see on this forum, Bighorns now come with Sailun 16" load range G tires, which are much better than the previous Towmax tires. However, it seems some people are still having problems. Maybe that's because of overloading as you suggest, but I was looking to be on the safe side. Maybe I am worried too much and don't really need 17.5" load range H tires, but I'd feel better if the 16" tires were Goodyear G614 instead of Sailun.

The only report I have seen about Sailun tire failures was the one user here on this forum who reported issues with two of his. RV net has had no reports of failures. Did I miss other reports? Chris

Ran mine for over 6 years and never had a problem.
I just put on another set, because of wear and date code.
I think it's very interesting to note that I have seen way more issues on this forum with the Goodyear tires everyone raves about than the Sailun tires that people are afraid of.
I guess I don't understand.
I like the Sailun, and the price is reasonable.
Hockster

SGeohagan

I have a 2011 BigHorn and the original Sailun tires never gave us a problem. I have just replaced them with another set of Sailuns because of the date code and they were beginning to wear.

here4now

The only report I have seen about Sailun tire failures was the one user here on this forum who reported issues with two of his. RV net has had no reports of failures. Did I miss other reports? Chris
Guess I was mistaken about the Sailun tires. Sailun was frequently mentioned alongside Towmax (which were a big problem), but the Sailuns were being mentioned as the best replacement not as a problem. Good to know they are OK.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, available as an option, $659 for each AC unit.
Thanks for the info. We use ours all the time when it's cool outside so I would want the unit in the living/kitchen area to have the heat pump option.

CoveredWagon

My guess and that's all it is, is that the person with the failures had too high an air pressure. If not monitored tires with those pressures can easily jump up too high. I say that based on some semi driving.

NHCelt

You want to ask for the special order build sheet. Yes...heat pumps are available and Goodyear G614 are available and grossly overpriced. Sailun is a good tire. ..and I don't say that lightly.

BusManRG

You want to ask for the special order build sheet. Yes...heat pumps are available and Goodyear G614 are available and grossly overpriced. Sailun is a good tire. ..and I don't say that lightly.

Talking to our dealer the other day....he understood that the special order build sheet is gone and all available options are now on the one sheet. Basically, what you see is what you get. I took that to mean that if you don't see it, it's not available any longer. Didn't question it much since we are happy campers with our new 2017. I was just glad we purchased when we did as a few of our options are not on the list.

Sandy

NHCelt

Sandy...I am curious. What isn't available anymore?

Talking to our dealer the other day....he understood that the special order build sheet is gone and all available options are now on the one sheet. Basically, what you see is what you get. I took that to mean that if you don't see it, it's not available any longer. Didn't question it much since we are happy campers with our new 2017. I was just glad we purchased when we did as a few of our options are not on the list.

Sandy

BusManRG

Sandy...I am curious. What isn't available anymore?
I'll pull our order sheet and compare. What comes to mind is the outdoor tv and the metal wraps for the awnings. And I believe it was in Mr. Belletti's post where he stated there was no special build sheet for the Big Horn this year.

Ok...in addition to the tv and awning covers...a fantastic fan in the bathroom, Goodyear tires, larger brakes and axles, larger propane tanks, a/c units with heat pumps, booth dinettes. That pretty much covers it.

Last edited:

NHCelt

I'll pull our order sheet and compare. What comes to mind is the outdoor tv and the metal wraps for the awnings. And I believe it was in Mr. Belletti's post where he stated there was no special build sheet for the Big Horn this year.

Ok...in addition to the tv and awning covers...a fantastic fan in the bathroom, Goodyear tires, larger brakes and axles, larger propane tanks, a/c units with heat pumps, booth dinettes. That pretty much covers it.

AC without a heat pump is a surprise. That would be an issue for me....thanks for checking!

Mburtsvt

I was looking at the MSRP list and I got to say "grossly overpriced" is a bit harsh. Remember - MSRP is just that - it's not what you will pay for it. Remember you will get around 30% off when you purchase your RV. So - end of the day 20K in options is really just 14K in actual dollars, It starts to look like a better deal getting what you want on your RV.

RoadJunkie

Relax folks, the special build sheet is alive and well. I just used it within the last couple of weeks. I also confirmed it yesterday with the regional rep. Aside from your personal evaluation of the price, the special build pricing includes: Goodyear tires, 8K axle upgrade, 40lb propane tanks, metal wrapped awnings. booth dinette, fantastic fan in bathroom and heat pump on A/C. Now, keep in mind Heartland can eliminate any of this stuff and you may think you're ordering something only to have them come back prior to the build and say they no longer have it as an option. At least I hope they would notify you before the build.

Nuclearcowboy

AC without a heat pump is a surprise. That would be an issue for me....thanks for checking!
Regarding heat pumps, they are good if the weather in the area you are staying in is not too cold, say no more than 28-30 degrees. However, they quickly lose their appeal in colder weather. The other issue with a heat pump system is if you start getting 3-way valve leakage, then you now have both a compromised heater and AC unit. If saving propane is the reason for a heat pump, I would quickly consider an in line electric heater installation.

NHCelt

I guess it depends on what you call overpriced. Cost at the time I ordered was just over $2300 per the special order sheet I used for Goodyear G-614. Obviously, you have to add the value of the Sailun tires you would normally get to that and it sure seems grossly overpriced to me. You could get them locally for much less and have a set of Sailun to sell...but that's just my take on it.

I was looking at the MSRP list and I got to say "grossly overpriced" is a bit harsh. Remember - MSRP is just that - it's not what you will pay for it. Remember you will get

I was looking at the MSRP list and I got to say "grossly overpriced" is a bit harsh. Remember - MSRP is just that - it's not what you will pay for it. Remember you will get around 30% off when you purchase your RV. So - end of the day 20K in options is really just 14K in actual dollars, It starts to look like a better deal getting what you want on your RV.