Looking at buying a generator

Micahluna

HEY EVERYONE!

I am looking at a buying a generator for sites that may not have electric and dry camping. How do I need what type of generator will power everything including A/C I have the Torque T32 which has two A/C units.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

wdk450

I am guessing that your 2 air conditioners running at the same time pull about 3000 watts. A 3500 watt generator might get you by if you limit other electrical loads, but the large startup draw for each air conditioner would likely give you problems like blown breakers on the generator, and loss of power. The 5000 watt generator would work better. The tradeoffs are, the larger you go in generator wattage, the more it weighs, the louder it is (but less than proportional), and the more fuel it uses. Also, these are a prime target for thieves, and need to be locked down with a motorcycle-type security chain/lock, or bolted down with security head bolts. The new generation of inverter-type generators are the most quiet and fuel efficient. I had a 3500 watt generator of this type (stolen), and I did a test run of running the 1 air conditioner in hot weather and seeing how long the generator would run. It used it's 4 gallon tank of gasoline in 4 hours. This multiplies out to 8 gallons in 8 hours - hot days often require 12 hours a day of air conditioning. This gives a $28 dollar cost for 8 hours of air conditioning at a $3.50/gallon. That is for 1 air conditioner. And how do you haul around 8-16 gallons a day for your generator fuel??? Also roll in the fact that hauling and transferring gasoline is a significant fire hazard.

I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to run air conditioning, it makes more economic sense for me to get myself to an RV park with 30-50 amp electric hookups, where the electricity costs are rolled into the daily space rental.

danemayer

The generator Heartland installs is an Onan 5500 that delivers 45 amps at 120V, or about 5500 watts. A generator that size will run everything in your rig. As already mentioned, it's heavy, so it's not very portable.

A 3500 watt generator will run a lot, but maybe not everything at the same time.

Some people get a pair of linked 2000 watt generators.

esscobra

with previous trailer 32ft with 2 a/c units the Yamaha 4500 would run both a/c's converter and tv sat etc, just shut one down when microwave or other high load units - the 6500 Honda had no issues with all three

currently avethe 7k onan in m 2017 bighorn 3760el - ca run both a/c , res fidge, microwave, 3 tvs 3sat cell router/ 2 laptops all no issues- 5 gal in am5 gal before bed never un out. 20-25 day in fuel is cheaper than hotel- especially when you are infield at large track -

Alan_B

So far we have been happy with the 5500 propane Onan generator.

Our coach did did not come from the factory with gen prep. So we had the install done by Onan Cummins in Elkhart.