Looking for a new truck...

MdMike

So we are planning on heading West this summer from the east coast. I currently tow an Elkridge 29bhck about 12,500 loaded with a dodge ram 2500 SB crewcab 4x4 with a cummins 6.7.

Have been looking at Ram 3500 and Silverado 3500 as well as the F350 all SB crew cabs.... All diesel.... All SRW .....

I love the power of the cummins and the motor for 118k miles has been reliable, but the tranny, transfer case have had issues.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

Before you start I know the DRW trucks offer a more stable platform but the truck will also be a daily driver for me and the DRW will not be practical for commutes etc.....

Thanks in advance!

MdMike

The reason I am looking at a new truck are the potential $$$ involved before and during the trip for repairs. I already had to add airbags to the 2500 to level the load and am looking for a more stable platform for said load.

KRCyclone

The reason I am looking at a new truck are the potential $$$ involved before and during the trip for repairs. I already had to add airbags to the 2500 to level the load and am looking for a more stable platform for said load.

From what I hear the new Ram with the Aisin tranny is comparable to the Allison. As for stability, it would have to be a dually with air bags. I use mine as a daily driver and it is a pain sometimes.

dave10a

According to Diesel Power magazine the new maxed out 3500 Dodge Cummins outperformed the F450 Ford Diesel in almost every category. The Ford was king until this year. Ford redesigned its engine and tranny to handle the new engine in for 2011 model year and it looks like Dodge answered the Ford challenge this year. GM is behind both Ford and Dodge this year according to the Diesel Power people. Competition is a good thing if people keep their eyes and ears open.

wolfrat1

i have the 2012 silverado 3500hd dually. i had a 2012 bighorn but now have landmark key largo. i have/had no issues with my truck. very smooth pulling and surprisingly decent gas mileage. i'm very pleased with it. i looked at fords. seems like almost everytime they come out with a new engine, something goes wrong with it. i haven't checked into to the rams that much.

RVNEWBIE

We are pulling a 2014 Key Largo with our 2013 Silverado LTZ dually. GREAT MATCHUP...and the creature comforts with the LTZ package are a bonus!

Joe

shurack24

We pull a Gateway 3200 with a Ford F530 SRW, and no issues. Very nice, very capable.
My suspicion is that everyone will say their (fill in your favorite brand here) will out-perform the others.
My suggestion is to buy the brand you feel most comfortable with and go camping. I would add that pricing & competiton in your area may make one brand more attractive that the others. In our case, we found a deal on a leftover 2011 model at the time, and the price was unbeatable.

JanAndBill

My suggestion is to buy the brand you feel most comfortable with and go camping. I would add that pricing & competiton in your area may make one brand more attractive that the others.

This is proably the most sound advice anyone could give you. I've owned Dodge, Chevy, and Fords and each have their good and bad. Currently own a 2006 F350 DRW, with a 6.0, and 112,000 miles. I own it because I bought it right from someone who was scared to death of it. After spending close to $6,000 in engine upgrades, I now have a dependable truck that I know everything about, it does the job, has all the bells and whistles and still have way less money in it than anything comparable. A wise man once told me you can make a truck payment, or you can pay for repairs, but you can't do both. Several days before each trip I do a good inspection, if I see something that "might" be a problem I fix it or get it fixed. A few weeks ago I was at the local Ford dealer having a little preventitve maintenance done, while waiting I happened to glance at the sticker on a comparable equiped new F350. The $65000 MSRP took my breath away, and made me glad I have what I have. For me I'm more comfortable with what I have, and not spending money that I can use in my travels.

mikeandconnie

I'm very happy with my 2011 Silverado 3500 SRW SWB.. I have taken US 10, 20 40 and 80 coast to coast towing. Plenty of power going up the mountains and the Exhaust brakes works great going down. My 16000 lbs rig rides level and smooth so I don't need air bags.. I drive 12 to 14 hours a day loaded and unloaded and it doesn't beat me up like other 1 tons I have had. It's a great ride for a 1 ton so I drive it to work 60 miles round trip. My wife has also driven it back and forth to work parking in the City Garages.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Another vote for the Silverado 3500 LTZ. We have the 2011 DRW and like the stability and the ride is amazing...but without a doubt, the best part of this truck is the Allison transmission...hands down!! JMHO

blong

Another GM vote, we have a 2011 GMC Sierra Denali 1 ton dually with air bags, that I use as a daily driver to the office and it actually gets better mileage than our Escalade, not bad for a 9K truck. Once you haul with a dually you will not want go back to SRW for hauling big weight. VERY stable, we are hauling an loaded 18K 2011 Cyclone 3950HD. Air bags added for us just to level the truck with our 4 k pin weight. We Towed it Disneyworld Fort wilderness last year for march break, I was very nervous about the drive (and I love to drive) ..the truck was flawless, best trip ever. Going again this year. Denali version means interior is identical to the Cadillac Escalate. Pricey, but worth every penny if you can swing it. Even the wife loves this "Pickup truck". Happy New Year!

scottyb

I would buy the one that pleases you the most and that you feel you are getting the best deal. I have owned Ford and GM diesels and the differences are mostly personal preference. I loved my 3500 D/A, but felt that Chevy had fallen behind on creature comforts and technology. I know they will catch up. My previous Fords were all excellent trucks but Ford was in a dispute with Navstar, when I bought the Chevy in 07. Ford went through several years of having problems with their diesel, thus the lawsuit. Chevy swung and missed several times before they added the Duramax. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either, now. I have no experience with Dodge, but wouldn't mind giving them a shot.

priorguy

I've always been a Ford guy but it's hard to argue with the Cummins diesel which I believe Ford still owns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoosier Wolverine

The smartest move Chrysler ever made was putting the Cummins in their Ram. Made far more sense than attempting to develop their own from scratch. I speak from experience as a retired Chrysler engineer who was involved in that decision as a process engineer in the transmission plant. I won't speak ill of either Ford nor GM, both make nice trucks, but I've never had a moments problem with my Ram, it has all the power one could ever need and it has been defect free.
John

mzcummins

Ford did or does not own Cummins, Ford did have a small share in the company but that is it, if you think about it why would Ford use a diesel from another company if they "own" Cummins and go through the court battles with Navistar and end that relationship and have all the money into r&d with current 6.7 that they make if they own Cummins.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

priorguy

After a little internet research it appears Ford bailed Cummins out of potential bankruptcy by buying shares but has since sold them back. Cummins diesels have been used in larger commercial Ford trucks and heavy equipment in the past.

Then I found a post on www.dieselpowermag.com that explains the purchasing history and basically Cummins builds/owns every light to medium duty diesel out there. Isuzu, caterpillar, Allison, navistar, they own everyone through holding companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mzcummins

Yes Ford and Chrysler bought 10% each to get Cummins out of the red, Ford has owned up to 25% of Cummins and Cat and Cummins have been an option in bigger Fords

sent using Tapatalk