Looking for an 80A mini breaker

JimHamlin

I am looking for a source to purchase an 80 Amp mini breaker, to replace the 50A breaker that feeds my 5th wheel Lippert landing-gear motor. Ideally it would be of the same dimension (pins spacing = 3/4 inch) as the original 50A breaker. I've found several websites that have up to 50 Amp mini breakers, but nothing above that rating. Do I need to modify the mounting for a different physically-sized 80A breaker?

jnbhobe

LCI had a lip sheet that said you could put two 50 amp breakers in parallel to stop them from popping

Mattman

I see many other issues to this. First of all the danger is over current in your conductors. Allowing excessive amperage = FIRE!! or over amperage in the motor equal to Fire just flat out failing if your lucky. I recommend you fix the problem and not just try to use a larger breaker. Your setting your self up for other problems.. Just my 2 Cents.

danemayer

Hi JimHamlin,

Are your landing gear hydraulic or electric?

Why do you want to put in an 80 amp breaker?

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I am looking for a source to purchase an 80 Amp mini breaker, to replace the 50A breaker that feeds my 5th wheel Lippert landing-gear motor. Ideally it would be of the same dimension (pins spacing = 3/4 inch) as the original 50A breaker. I've found several websites that have up to 50 Amp mini breakers, but nothing above that rating. Do I need to modify the mounting for a different physically-sized 80A breaker?

Don't thing 80 amp available in same size. Just mount on wall nearby and connect wiring

TedS

The hydraulic pump motor is rated at 1hp. The current draw peak has been measured to be in excess of 70amps. There is no obvious reason to limit current to 50amps. The wiring is large enough and short enough to handle more. I have replaced the 50amp with an 80amp and did not experience any rise in temperature of the wiring. But I did experience no more random tripping to the breaker and could get landing gear and slides set in an uninterrupted convenient manner.

asset.php

Bogie

JohnD gave you the best and easiest advice. Extend the landing gear about 1/2 inch before bottom out and mark the legs. I used black spray paint. You will never blow out the fuse by bottoming out again.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

JohnD gave you the best and easiest advice. Extend the landing gear about 1/2 inch before bottom out and mark the legs. I used black spray paint. You will never blow out the fuse by bottoming out again.

Spray paint is a good idea for electric jacks. NOT level-up hydrolic jacks though. I hope nobody tries painting there Level-up jacks.

mlpeloquin

Here is a source for an 80 amp breaker, but if you know how breakers really work you would use a 60 amp.
80 amp
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/bss-cb123-50hb?seid=srese1&gclid=CMu16LumgswCFVBefgod6e0EhA
60 amp
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/bss-cb123-50hb?seid=srese1&gclid=CMnhndmngswCFUZrfgoduokL3A

JimHamlin

Thanx for your input. I've checked all connections from the battery to the breaker, and breaker to the motor with an ohm meter and found no problems. I think I'll first try a 60A breaker to see if that solves the problem. Lippert once recommended going from their standard 50A spec to 80A, I think because the motor being used is rated at 62A max. To my knowledge no one makes a 70A.

danemayer

A few things to note about the Lippert Lip Sheet recommendation:

- It disappeared from the Lippert website without explanation
- It referred to problems with slideouts
- It mentioned contributory conditions such as slide toppers, cold weather, low battery, operating with all lights on.

And if you have electric front landing gear, the fuse for those is 30 amp if I'm not mistaken.

bdb2047

Check Del City they have a manual reset 70a.

Thanx for your input. I've checked all connections from the battery to the breaker, and breaker to the motor with an ohm meter and found no problems. I think I'll first try a 60A breaker to see if that solves the problem. Lippert once recommended going from their standard 50A spec to 80A, I think because the motor being used is rated at 62A max. To my knowledge no one makes a 70A.