Looking for axle/suspension upgrade recommendations

marvmarcy

We just purchased a 2012 Landmark Key Largo and I have concerns about the axles and tires (7k Dexters with G614s. I had a much heavier trailer (20k) before that was totled by a bus on I70 west of St Louis. We were near Bill Thomas Campers, so bought the Landmark from them. It is very nice, but I have to be careful to not overload it, and there is no safety margin in he axles and tires. I am pulling it with a Volvo 420 (class 7 with ISX engine) so can't easily feel anything amiss with the trailer. What do you all recommend for upgrades? I was considering going to 17.5 wheels and commercial tires (4800#/tire) and upgrading the axles to 8k or 9k with Moryde. I know I can't just keep adding weight, but the frame should be able to handle a little more. My air hitch is rated for 32k trailer with 10k pin weight. I look forward to hearing how any of you have dealt with a similar concern. I would also like to add disc brakes like my last trailer had.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Marv, Welcome to the Heartland Family & Forum. You are sure to get many opinions for axle/wheel upgrades. Most will depend on how much you are willing to spend.
For the basic upgrade, I would consider 8K axles & springs, leave the Goodyear's as is and add the wet bolts.
A step up would be the basic Mor Ryde independent rubber shear suspension with the 8K rubber shear "springs".
Including the disc brake addition to that system would complete the package.

For what it's worth, going to 17.5 wheels & tires would be overkill in my opinion.

I had the mor-ryde independent system installed 2 years ago keeping the standard 2" brakes. For me, they are adequate.

marvmarcy

Ray, Thanks for the welcome!

Your comment about keeping the G614s is interesting, because they only handle 3750#ea. That is only 250#/tire over the axle rating, and the driver's side of the trailer is considerably heavier than the curb side. That can overload both the tires and axles and still be at the mfr's GVWR. I already keep most heavy items in the right front corner to put more weight on the pin and curb side. I've also heard stories about G614s failing and read threads on this forum about axles breaking. I admit I got spoiled by Newmar's tandem duals, Mor Ryde suspension on 9k Dexter axles with disc brakes, and I shouldn't expect that on a trailer at half the price. I have a TPMS to keep track of tires, a heat gun, inflate to max cold psi and only run at 60mph (ran 65-70 with my Newmar). I really like the Landmark so far, but I worry about it on the road.

Marv

lwmcguir

8K Axles and 17.5 tires/wheels are well worth the money. I would go with torsion axles if you dont want to stay with springs. CP suspension is well worth it also. We felt the three upgrades above were worth the money and we tow without worrying now. G614 are good tires but we have never had an issue with our 17.5's on any of our trailers. (over many years)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The Key Largo has a GVWR of 16250. With the pin weight more than likely being 3200# or more leaves only 13000# on the axles. This is, of course, assuming you don't exceed the GVWR.
Sure, 17.5's would be better. I guess for me, if money was no object:rolleyes:, I'd go with the 17.5's and the full boat Mor Ryde conversion to independent suspension and disc brakes. I like the independent suspension because it does away with leaf springs, axles and shackles.

marvmarcy

I thought the pin weight was less than that. I should weigh the trailer to get actuals. You make good sense, and I need to get more facts and think this through. Thanks for your input.

Marv

porthole

Retired
We have, MOR/ryde 7K independent suspension with 8K torsion springs, also have the disc brakes. Tires and wheels were upgraded to Goodyear G114's, 17.5"
For me the 17.5 upgrades was actually less money then going to the GY 614's. With either tire option I had to upgrade the wheels. And I don't know why, but the 614's were more then the 114's
The 114's and wheels added about 40 pounds unsprung weight per wheel (96 pounds each, mounted).

If you upgrade, keep in mind that going to 9K axles and springs (18K total) and then only loading it to 15K on the axles could make for a less then ideal ride.

If you go the MOR/ryde route, load up your trailer to the max that would be or you. Before they start doing any work the trailer is weighed at all 4 wheels and the system tailored to your trailer.

After having the the 7k suspension and springs for a year I had MOR/ryde inspect the system. At that time it was determined to change teh springs from 7 to 8K do to the way we loaded the trailer.
This was done a no charge.
This year we again had MOR/ryde inspect the system and found everything to be good, again, no charge.

Excellent customer service at MR.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Anyone willing to provide a ballpark cost on upgrading to the MorRyde IS system on a 3670?

GOTTOYS

I was quoted $2500. to upgrade to 7,000# Mor-Ryde IS axles using my stock brakes on my Big Country 3250 about a month ago. When you add up the cost of replacing the equalizers, having a wet bolt kit installed and the possibility of spring and shock problems while on the road it doesn't sound all too bad. Also has a 5 year warranty and has adjustments so it can easily be aligned. If you want disc brakes with it the price is about double. It's on my list of things to do this Summer...Don

nscaler2

Anyone willing to provide a ballpark cost on upgrading to the MorRyde IS system on a 3670?

We had or Mor/ryde IS and disc brakes installed September of 08. At that time it was $5752 inclusive of sales tax. Along with the suspension system and brakes they added additional box bracing to the bottom of our I beams which lifted the trailer approximately 3 inches, this made the trailer perfectly level when hitched to the truck. They take great pains to get it perfect. Since then we have towed it approximately 11000 miles without a single problem with the suspension or brakes. It rides so much better than the original setup. I can actually feel the difference in the way the truck rides since the upgrade. The brakes are fabulous in the mountains. I know it is pricy, but well worth it. Now to just get the cracks in the framework in the pinbox area repaired this spring when we get it out of storage. But that is entirely another story. Gotta love Lippet - - NOT!!!!!!

Just got a quote last week for the IS installation. It is $2500 w/o disc brakes, and $5139 w/disc brakes. We made an appt to get it installed w/o, just to see if we really need the disc brakes.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just got a quote last week for the IS installation. It is $2500 w/o disc brakes, and $5139 w/disc brakes. We made an appt to get it installed w/o, just to see if we really need the disc brakes.

Thanks for the pricing info, guys. I'm trying to forecast what I'll need for some home, rig, and TV upgrades this year.

GOTTOYS

Thanks for the pricing info, guys. I'm trying to forecast what I'll need for some home, rig, and TV upgrades this year.
I hear that. About the time you get everything the way you want it, along comes a new model that you just can't live without. Where does it end?..Don

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I hear that. About the time you get everything the way you want it, along comes a new model that you just can't live without. Where does it end?..Don

For us it ends now! Talking with Mor Ryde right now for the end of March.

porthole

Retired
Those planning the MR you will be pleasantly surprised of the amount of work/material you get fo rthe cost.
Although it seems the opposite with the disc brakes.

I'm sure you will be informed, but you get to MR the night before, hook up in the yard for an overnight and be ready to move your trailer before 7am.
Each time I was there the guys were waiting for me around 6:30. No rush, but they were ready.
They'll give you water electric and cable for your overnight in the shop and supply you with lunch during the day. Coffee and snacks are already in the waiting room, which you will find with a "insert your name here" welcome sign.

There are a couple of good places to eat for dinner in and around the area, Ben at the shop will give you some good choices.

I was in the automotive service business for over 20 years (still in the service business in a way I suppose) and by far MR is an example for others to follow.

And if you can manage a way with the disc brakes I would.