2014 North Trail FBS22 Axle and Suspension Upgrade

We purchased our North Trail second hand about 1 1/2 years ago at a dealership. I think we had a bent axle when we purchased it, but the salesman convinced us the wheels tilting strangely was a "feature". This is strangely like a post I saw from 2018. We have several 200+ mile trips and a 3600 mile trip. We were noticing unusual tire wear and rotated the tires. Somebody else pointed out to us that our axle was bent. This ended with a blowout.
I would like to upgrade the suspension axles and wheels to increase each axle capacity. Does anybody have any recommendations for specific replacements? I might consider doing the work this myself.

jbeletti

Long story short, I overloaded my Sundance and ended up with camber lost in my rear axle. This led the rear tires being toe-out which led to worn tires. It also led to some frame tears.

The two 3500# axles were replaced with 5400# axles, derated to, I believe, 5200#. This also necessitated going from 14" to 15" tires/wheel. The frame was repaired and reinforced.

I was 1400# over GVWR and drove thousands of miles across many states and 2 provinces that way. Not good.

That all said, I suggest you weigh your trailer and go from there.

Some of my related pictures: https://beletti.smugmug.com/RV/2020-Sundance-262-RB/Tires-Wheels-Brakes-and-Suspension/Suspension

Gary521

I replaced an axle a short while back. I purchased the axle from a local trailer repair. This repair shop sold both Lippert and Dexter axles. They showed me the difference and let me decide. The Dexter axles were made with thicker steel than the Lippert. The things they need to know is the spring perch measurements, total length, whether is has EZ lube and whether the springs are above or below the axle.

I replaced an axle a short while back. I purchased the axle from a local trailer repair. This repair shop sold both Lippert and Dexter axles. They showed me the difference and let me decide. The Dexter axles were made with thicker steel than the Lippert. The things they need to know is the spring perch measurements, total length, whether is has EZ lube and whether the springs are above or below the axle.

Garry521,
Thank you for your reply. I was looking at the Dexter axle. I did not think to look at the steel thickness.

Long story short, I overloaded my Sundance and ended up with camber lost in my rear axle. This led the rear tires being toe-out which led to worn tires. It also led to some frame tears.

The two 3500# axles were replaced with 5400# axles, derated to, I believe, 5200#. This also necessitated going from 14" to 15" tires/wheel. The frame was repaired and reinforced.

I was 1400# over GVWR and drove thousands of miles across many states and 2 provinces that way. Not good.

That all said, I suggest you weigh your trailer and go from there.

Some of my related pictures: https://beletti.smugmug.com/RV/2020-Sundance-262-RB/Tires-Wheels-Brakes-and-Suspension/Suspension

JBeletti,

Thank you for your response.

I did weigh my camper while on the road for a large trip. Our axle weight was well below the rated weight. We have no reason to believe we were overweight. I am considering upgrading my axles and wheels to the next level.
Doug