Loosing fresh water while on the road

hoefler

Like the title says, loosing fresh water out of the vent behind the axles. We have an 06 Landmark Mt. Rushmore. While set up and sitting level, I fill the fresh water tank till it overflows out the back. Check tank gauge, yep its full. Hook up and head out to our first stop, which is a dry camp stop. We arrive and setup, check the water level, we have lost about half of our water in a 5 hour trip. With some investigateing, I found it is running out the overflow/vent while going down the road. I mentioned this to the dealer and his response was, I shouldn't be traveling with a full tank of water anyways:confused:. Said I would crack the tank. Right or wrong, I installed a valve in the vent. After filling, I close it. I don't loose any water now. My question is, has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what did you do to fix it??

davebennington

Re: Loosing fresh wate will on the road

We had the same problem with our 06 Golden Gate. I did much the same as you did, I plumbed a line into the three tank vents and put a shutoff valve at the end so when I am filling the tank I leave the valve open and when water starts to dribble out I shut the valve off. No more loss of water going down the road.

Dave

jdfishing

Re: Loosing fresh water whilel on the road

I've got the same problem with my 2007 Bighorn 3055RL. Just figured that's the way it is supposed to be, but I can't arrive at my destination with more than 2/3 tank of fresh water, which isn't a problem as long as your not going to be dry camping. I like your fix, but is the issue a design problem or a design safety feature of some sort. If it's a design problem, I love my Bighorn, but I'm becomming weary of design problems; front landing gear, china bombs, leaky slide, leaky shower, etc. If I wanted to deal with design problems, there are plenty of other brands I could have purchased for less money. Ah well, maybe I'm just a little cranky cause my wallet just recently got $2000 lighter fixing stuff I don't think should have broke. That doesn't even include the stuff my extended warrenty is picking up. Can't wait to get it back from the shop and hit the road again for some new experiences.

porthole

Retired

Are these vents exposed? sounds like there is some water in the line (because you are filling it to spill out) and then driving down the road the air stream is forming a venturi over the vent, causing the water to flow. If that is the case - eliminate the venturi.

The valve could cause other problems.

jdfishing

Porthole: Yes, the vents are exposed, on my 07 BH anyway. They are three rubber hoses about 8" in length that hang down from the underbelly in the area of the axle. I can't tell exactly where they are coming from without removing the belly covering, but when filling the fresh water tank, water comes out one of them as the tank approaches full.

porthole

Retired

Then I would guess you are allowing physics to take over.

Driving down the road th air flowing past an exposed tube will cause a pressure drop (venturi effect) that pressure difference will push the water out of the tank (atmospheric pressure) to the low pressure side. The fact that it is below the tank just helps it along

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

Is there anyway you can run the vent line higher? It looks like my vent is tapped on the side of the tank (should be on top).

hoefler

Once the water level is below the vent line, it should not be able to draw any water out through the venturi action. But is is possible. I did a little exploring in behind UDC and discovered that there is a vent hooked up to the fill port. The tank is double vented. If it is connected to a tee with the other vent, it sure could suck the water out as you slosh it around on some of these fine roads we travel on.

jdfishing

I just did some checking on previous discussions about this fresh water tank issue and it's been on going for several years. Guess I should of checked earlier. But thanks for all the advice. Anybody know what those three vent hoses are attached too? Obviously, one goes to the fresh water but how about the other two? Sure would be nice if Heartland could make available some diagrams for water and electrical. An overall layout of stuff would be nice too. I've seen the front and rear underbelly out of necessity, but the middle is still a mystery.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just did some checking on previous discussions about this fresh water tank issue and it's been on going for several years. Guess I should of checked earlier. But thanks for all the advice. Anybody know what those three vent hoses are attached too? Obviously, one goes to the fresh water but how about the other two? Sure would be nice if Heartland could make available some diagrams for water and electrical. An overall layout of stuff would be nice too. I've seen the front and rear underbelly out of necessity, but the middle is still a mystery.

If I remember right one is the water heater, one is the low point drain, and the other is the vent to the fresh water tank. I have shutoff valves on all of mine to prevent water loss.

hoefler

My low point water drain is infront of the front axle and is by its self. Not connected to the water heater. I suspect the other 2 could go to the gray tanks, I don't know for sure, but I am not going to flood my gray tanks to find out.