Loss of Crown on one Axle -

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
All,

When I was down in Hershey last week, I noticed a tire that was worn badly - so I took the Rig to a local tire dealer and had a new tire installed. They only got one in ( because I told them that I only needed one ) so when we noticed that all of my tires were worn we replaced the second worse tire with my spare and I drove home knowing that i had an appointment today at the repair shop - and the tire shop...

While I had the rig at the RV repair, It was noted that I have one "flat" axle and it is causing excessive wear on that set of tires. ( where the two worse tires were ).

I have 7K lb Axles on my Cyclone - So what I am trying to determine now is do I:

• replace the 7K bad axle with the same
  • replace both axles with 8K
  • Forgo the whole Axle idea altogether and go Mor Ryde IS?
    • If I go Mor Ryde IS do I also go Disk Breaks ... ( now we are talking some Bigger $$ )

Other than wearing out Tires - do I have to Worry about a Flat Axle -

Thanks

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

I agree with Jim. Bring it in and have it aligned. You can go to a heavy duty truck alignment shop not an RV dealer, and get it done for under $200.00. That will be much cheaper than replacing the axle. I would sure like the Mor-Ryde IS myself but I just couldn't see spending that much on it. That 5 year warranty they offer plus the fact it is easily adjustable for alignments is tempting...Don

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Get a floor jack and place it under the center of the flat axle, raise and lower the jack till the arch matches the good axle. (remember to close one eye while performing this adjustment) ;)

Nathan

Axles are made by Lippert. They should have a 2 year warranty on them. Just had mine replaced. Are you within the two year warranty period?

Nathan

BTW, you also might want to throw a level on em.. Here is what mine looked like . They will probably cover the tires to, if they cover the axle. Plus with the axle flattening out it will also but too much weight on the "good" axle which will result in 2 bad axles. At least that's what my dealer told me. They also went from 3500lb axles to 5200lb axles in my unit.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
BTW, you also might want to throw a level on em.. Here is what mine looked like . They will probably cover the tires to, if they cover the axle. Plus with the axle flattening out it will also but too much weight on the "good" axle which will result in 2 bad axles. At least that's what my dealer told me. They also went from 3500lb axles to 5200lb axles in my unit.

So Nathan, Not to steal this thread, but did the heavier axles solve your sway issue? Did you have to adjust the hitch? Ball height or angle?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My advise is if you are going to keep the trailer for some time go with the Mor-Ryde IS with disc brakes. We did and have been totally happy with it. The disc brakes have saves our a..... several times due to the other idiots on the road. The IS give a smoother ride and IMHO well worth the price.

57chevyconvt

Had both axles re-aligned last week at a truck alignment shop. It took quite a bit of arch in the axle to align the spindles (camber and toe-in). The alignment shop had me to repack the wheel bearings prior to alignment so that proper bearing clearance were set prior to alignment. I made all the adjustments from king pin to front axle and distance (center to center) between axles prior to taking it into the shop. The relaxed axles was a result of pounding from the ALCAN highway and not due to overload. The alignment shop will be able to tell if the axles need to be replace if the metal axle tube still has sufficient strength when the bending operation takes the metal from the elastic state to the plastic state. The is no way that you can successfully do this job at home with a bottle jack or floor jack, let the pros do this job. The alignment job cost $90.00 per axle. Well worth the money since I all but ruined one GY G614 tire due to axle alignment.

brianharrison

I too suggest a good alignment. The Lippert 7000# axles have thin wall, making them susceptible to going out of alignment, I don't believe the Dexter 7000s are much thicker wall.

I use a good quality large truck trailer shop for alignment and do it every year for preventative maintenance. I repack at the same time.

8000#s would help but there is quite a step up in price (more than a few years of alignment costs). The moryde is even more expensive i believe and certainly the Cadillac answer for sure.

Brian

Last edited:

Nathan

So Nathan, Not to steal this thread, but did the heavier axles solve your sway issue? Did you have to adjust the hitch? Ball height or angle?

They fixed the axles and made adjustments to the ball height. I only have brought it home from the dealer and spent 10 minutes or so on the highway. It does seem to be better. We are going on a family vacation later this month to D.C.. This is a trip from Massachusetts, so I will definately have a a solid foundation of how it pulls then. I'll let you know how it pulled.