Lost everything on ODS rear axle

Paul & Nan

While tansitioning from I40 to I240 in Memphis about 10:30 Saturday we were alerted by another vehicle that we had lost a tire. Well, turns out we lost a nearly new G614 tire, an aluminum rim, hub, brake assembly, etc. We pulled off to a safe place, in a good neighborhood, called GS road service, who arrived about noon on Saturday. By 3:30 our BH was on a flat bed to be towed. That is another story--suffice to say that what should have been a 20 mile trip via divided highway, was a 4 hour trip here and there because permits for oversize load could not be obtained at that point. We sat till Monday AM in Olive Branch, MS in the repair facility lot till parts could be obtained.(Great folks at Angels truck repair) Turns out we needed a TrailAir shock to complete repair, the parts person looked high and low to finish parts and could not be obtained locally, finally called Heartland, UPS truck was there, they shipped it next day($80 shipping). We were on the road by 3:30 yesterday. Diagnosis failure of bearing. It was adequatly lubed so do not know why it failed. $1000 for repairs, plus our tow coverage paid $1500 and we do not know why, or if our other 3 wheels are safe. Anyone else have such an experience??

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: Lost everything on ODS rear axel

For starters, Thank GOd everyone is safe and sound. So Paul, is it safe to assume the spindle was gone as well? Did you/someone recover the wheel and all?

Paul & Nan

No, by the time we got safely off the freeway and got a tow truck we could not get back to the place it may have come off. Not really sure where it even happened as there was no indication of a problem in handling.

DougS

Doug S

Paul and Nan,
Yes there are more of us out there. I drive for 53 mles on three wheels, no low boy available. I now carry a short length of chain to hold axle up should it happen again. I would have other bearings checked, I replaced another bearing during repair due to manufacture defect seen after inspection. Wait till you replace tire, rim, custom lugs, and cap, ouch, over $500. I now have a tire pressure system with temperature. I would assume the temperature would go up, giving me warning should a bearing fail again.

traveler44

Sorry to hear about loosing the wheel and am glad you made it off the highway safely. I get tired of checking my wheels with my infrared thermometer every time we stop but I'm hoping that if I do have a problem that this will show it before a major breakdown. I haven't lost a wheel yet but did have a bearing go bad after a blown out tire. I'm convinced that the blow out was what caused the damage to the bearing in my case.

Wharton

We have a heat sensor gun that we use to check the temperature. Only problem is the shiny hub cover makes it difficult. Wish we could get satin hub covers.

traveler44

I shoot through the wheel and check the brake drum and the tires. The brake drum should tell you if there is a problem with a hot bearing or a brake dragging. If one wheel is very much hotter than the rest it's time to pull the drum and look.

wingfoot

We have a heat sensor gun that we use to check the temperature. Only problem is the shiny hub cover makes it difficult. Wish we could get satin hub covers.

I put a small piece of black electrical tape on the rim and point/check my temps on it...works for me.