Lost of water while driving down the road.

TenOC

I have a (new to us) 2017 North Peak 28TS. We do a lot of dry camping. We choose the North Peak because it was a light weight FW. On our first camping trip we arrived with only a half tank of fresh water. I had fill the fresh water tank before we left home. After a lot of investigation I found that there are two (2) "over flow vent" outlets (one on each side) of the fresh water tank. As we drive down the road the water sloshes around and drains out of the tank.

This lost of water is a "deal killer" for us. Do any of you have a solution? . . . :confused: . . . If I plug the over flow vents I will not be able to vent the tank to allow air in when we pump out the water.

danemayer

I have a (new to us) 2017 North Peak 28TS. We do a lot of dry camping. We choose the North Peak because it was a light weight FW. On our first camping trip we arrived with only a half tank of fresh water. I had fill the fresh water tank before we left home. After a lot of investigation I found that there are two (2) "over flow vent" outlets (one on each side) of the fresh water tank. As we drive down the road the water sloshes around and drains out of the tank.

This lost of water is a "deal killer" for us. Do any of you have a solution? . . . :confused: . . . If I plug the over flow vents I will not be able to vent the tank to allow air in when we pump out the water.

Hi TenOC,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

A few people with this issue have put an inexpensive cutoff valve at the ends. But you must remember to open the valves when filling the tank or you could overfill and rupture the tank. And if there's no vent elsewhere, yes, you'd want to open the valves when you arrive at your destination.

I think someone else may have added pex tubing to run to the back of the rig and terminated it higher than the level of the tanks. No valves needed.

Oregon_Camper

I've put in separate valve (and tubing) to stop this, as we do a lot of dry camping too.

I open the valve when I fill the fresh water tank and close them for travel. My wife made me a nice "reminder" label so I don't forget to open/close the valves.

This is the valve I bought on Amazon (You'll need 2)
311KaIiakYL.jpg

Label my wife made
Capture2.jpg

How I laid out the solution in our Bighorn.
qqq.jpg

TenOC

I am disappointed that Hartland did not route (run a tube) from the overflow/vent to the vent port on the gravity fill connection.

danemayer

The overflow connections are usually at the top rear of the fresh tank. Are you towing nose-level? If the nose is high, you'll lose a bunch of water. And you might have other problems if towing nose-high.

TenOC

The overflow connections are usually at the top rear of the fresh tank. Are you towing nose-level? If the nose is high, you'll lose a bunch of water. And you might have other problems if towing nose-high.

I would expect that the Gravity fill inlet is always higher than any nose high vent problem. I do understand that some trailers do not have a gravity fill port but my North Peak only has a gravity fill port and not a 4 way valve. In my North Peak the gravity fill port is over a foot higher than the fresh water tank. I attempted to run a plastic vent line from the overflow vent to the un-used vent port on the gravity fill port but it is a major problem now the trailer is completed. It would not have been a problem during manufacturing.

CDN

B and B
I also noted we can loose 10 gallons from siphoning after filling I have thought about running the vent right to the wet bay. We have two vents on our Bighorn.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Methinks if the tank overflow was connected to the gravity fill vent you would encounter a problem filling the tank. Many of us have found it necessary to blow out that vent in order to add water to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk