2019 Trail Runner Fresh Water Tank Drain Will Not Drain

DerrickT

We recently purchased a 20019 Trail Runner and were working on sanitizing the fresh water system as it sat for a prolonged period prior to us purchasing. I located the drain for the fresh water tank, however when you turn the valve, the tank will not drain. Thinking there was a blockage; I tried running a strand of 14 gauge romex, no blockage in the valve, however the romex will not make the 90 degree turn in the pex. I used a compressor set at about 25-30 psi, I can hear the air going into the fresh water tank and hear water bubbling when water is present in the tank, but still no water will drain. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas, or encountered this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.Drains.jpg

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure that the tank is full of water?
Have you tried to run the pump till water is coming out of a faucet? The drain valve would need to be closed.
Others will chime in, we'll get you through this.

Peace
Dave

DerrickT

Are you sure that the tank is full of water?
Have you tried to run the pump till water is coming out of a faucet? The drain valve would need to be closed.
Others will chime in, we'll get you through this.

Peace
Dave
Yeah, I have the tank so full, water is running out the top of the fill cap. But still no luck on the "low point" fresh water tank drain behind the off side tires. And yeah, we have been running water through the faucets to sanitize those and the lines; just hate to keep running the pump to empty the tank when trying to "flush" it. Thanks for the ideas and input!

DerrickT

I had not considered that, just assumed since it had a valve and a low point sticker, and even when the tank was partially full you would hear bubbles that it was the fresh water tank drain. But I guess it could be intended work like a "baffle" on septic system, so to speak, and that would potentially explain why it would bubble even when partially filled?

Bogie

So can't explain the bubbles, but generally the low point drains are together (red and blue pex) and the tank drain is separate. On mine,
the low point drains are on the door side and the fresh tank drain (also blue pex) is on the off door side behind the tires by itself.

Hope that helps.

CoveredWagon

Low point drains ( red and blue ) are not the fresh water tank drain line. I've heard that sometimes the fresh water tank drain line has not been dropped below the corplast ( bottom covering ) at the factory.

DerrickT

So can't explain the bubbles, but generally the low point drains are together (red and blue pex) and the tank drain is separate. On mine,
the low point drains are on the door side and the fresh tank drain (also blue pex) is on the off door side behind the tires by itself.

Hope that helps.
Hey Bogie, I have two low point drains at the very rear off side of our camper, red and blue pex as you referenced above, and then I have another, that is also labelled "low point drain", which is a single blue pex line protruding out of the corplast between the tires and the grey/black water tank drain. The red and blue pex low point drains at the very rear work like a champ, but nothing on the other single blue pex between the rear tires and gray/black tank drains. I attached a picture (which I should have done when I started this thread). Drains.jpg

CoveredWagon

Hey Bogie, I have two low point drains at the very rear off side of our camper, red and blue pex as you referenced above, and then I have another, that is also labelled "low point drain", which is a single blue pex line protruding out of the corplast between the tires and the grey/black water tank drain. The red and blue pex low point drains at the very rear work like a champ, but nothing on the other single blue pex between the rear tires and gray/black tank drains. I attached a picture (which I should have done when I started this thread). View attachment 68263
That certainly looks like the fresh water tank drain. You may have to cut I flap into the corplast to find out what 's wrong. Gorilla tape works fine to reseal the corplast.

DerrickT

Low point drains ( red and blue ) are not the fresh water tank drain line. I've heard that sometimes the fresh water tank drain line has not been dropped below the corplast ( bottom covering ) at the factory.
Right, I have the red and blue in very back, they work like a champ, no issues with those. I have included a picture, the blue pex between the tires and gray/black tank drain is what I was assuming was the fresh water tank drain. I did try to remove some of the bolts to look for another line above the coroplast, but stopped after the the three bolts I tried to removed snapped the heads off and was loosing daylight. Drains.jpg

DerrickT

That certainly looks like the fresh water tank drain. You may have to cut I flap into the corplast to find out what 's wrong. Gorilla tape works fine to reseal the corplast.
Thanks, I tried backing out several of the nuts holding the coroplast up, but the heads snapped off on everyone I tried, so gave up and it was getting dark, that's when went to running compressed air into that line. From what I can tell from the portion I exposed, that line does a 90 and runs toward the front of the camper towards the fresh water tank. I guess I will continue down that path and dig in deeper, just wanted to make sure I was diving down the right rabbit hole and that was in fact the fresh water tank drain.

CoveredWagon

Thanks, I tried backing out several of the nuts holding the coroplast up, but the heads snapped off on everyone I tried, so gave up and it was getting dark, that's when went to running compressed air into that line. From what I can tell from the portion I exposed, that line does a 90 and runs toward the front of the camper towards the fresh water tank. I guess I will continue down that path and dig in deeper, just wanted to make sure I was diving down the right rabbit hole and that was in fact the fresh water tank drain.
That's where I'd be digging. But then again I've dug more than a few dry holes. Good luck.

Bogie

I agree. Before cutting, you might try one more thing if you haven't already. Pressurize the water system with a hose and turn on the valve of the single blue pex just to verify nothing comes out. So not a pressurized line. If that proves out then you will need to get under the corplast to investigate. A cheap inspection camera could help if you have one. Cutting a flap is the easiest way.

If that line is in fact coming from the fresh tank, it may have gotten pinched somehow.

Good Luck