Lots of issues at final walk-thru. Normal?

arisce

The service department fixed all my complaints and they are ordering parts for what they couldn't fix today.

They touched up the rear bumper and attempted to fix the other paint scratch chip but decided to have someone come in to re-paint the panels they can't fix.

I looked at other units and the Jack's were ok, the floor board on the slide in my bedroom is supposed to be bent like that. I looked in 2 other units for comparison.

Unfortunately, we made a mistake and looked at a 36tb to compare the bed slide issue and realized we should have bought that model. It's too late for that now our rv was titled on Friday. Doh.

Next time we will know better to not sign on the same day we find a model we like. A little more investigating would have saved us a lot and we'd be a little happier.

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have thought to look at other units for comparison otherwise.

Not a total loss, let this be a lesson for new RV buyers. You are the boss in any transaction. Do not give that up until you are totally satisfied with the purchase.
Unfortunately the dealer won-again. That said, my brother-in-law bought a CUV but saw a SUV that he should had bought. The dealer was willing to void the initial deal as long as the buyer was willing to "trade-up". Is the other RV a more expensive unit? Try negotiating. It is not over till it is over.
In conclusion, always consult this forum before you buy, The advice you got was the best from experienced posters.
Good luck with the new unit.
P.S. CUV=Compact utility vehicle-smaller/SUV=Sport utility vehicle-larger.

Mea_Dow

The new unit was about 5k more. They said we couldn't trade because it was titled to us on Friday and a used unit takes an automatic 30% loss. They already have our license plate they attached for us yesterday.

The dealership was willing to fix anything we mentioned. They decided to bring in the paint person after we mentioned it.

We didn't pay a PDI fee. They wanted $1250. I said sorry and we left. The salesman chased us out to our old unit and said ok. We accept.

It did have plastics on the fridge and some stuff. Would it have had that? The manufactured date stickers are for mid Sept 2012. This is again a 2013.

Today, we noticed lots of little scratches on metal cabinet knobs (odd?), the closet door frame is scratched and our old unit didn't have those scratches and it's 3 years old, the metal door jam on the floor is also very wiggly, along with one corner of the front steps feeling like they are tweaked. Service wasn't there to talk to today.

We moved the rest of our stuff today and saw so many things that we'd missed before.

Would a car fax type thing show anything? It was only manufactured 2 months ago per the little orange stickers lp tank compartment door and one other I saw somewhere else.

Oh well.. The salesman said *only* 2 years and we would be in a good position to trade it in... *sarcasm*

We are young and are paying for it.

Thanks again!

wdk450

At this point I would phone and deal with Heartland service. The phone number is on the top left of the portal page. Have your VIN number ready. I'll bet Heartland service will mail you some new knobs free, and maybe any other small items you have issues with. They should be able to tell you from their records if your VIN has been registered with them before as sold to another buyer. Be persistent with them.

Good Luck, and Happy RVing!!!

The new unit was about 5k more. They said we couldn't trade because it was titled to us on Friday and a used unit takes an automatic 30% loss. They already have our license plate they attached for us yesterday.

The dealership was willing to fix anything we mentioned. They decided to bring in the paint person after we mentioned it.

We didn't pay a PDI fee. They wanted $1250. I said sorry and we left. The salesman chased us out to our old unit and said ok. We accept.

It did have plastics on the fridge and some stuff. Would it have had that? The manufactured date stickers are for mid Sept 2012. This is again a 2013.

Today, we noticed lots of little scratches on metal cabinet knobs (odd?), the closet door frame is scratched and our old unit didn't have those scratches and it's 3 years old, the metal door jam on the floor is also very wiggly, along with one corner of the front steps feeling like they are tweaked. Service wasn't there to talk to today.

We moved the rest of our stuff today and saw so many things that we'd missed before.

Would a car fax type thing show anything? It was only manufactured 2 months ago per the little orange stickers lp tank compartment door and one other I saw somewhere else.

Oh well.. The salesman said *only* 2 years and we would be in a good position to trade it in... *sarcasm*

We are young and are paying for it.

Thanks again!

sengli

I know for a fact, when dealers haul these new units to shows they get beat up. Talked to a dealer recently while we were looking at new fifth wheels and he told me stories of what was broken and or stolen out the units he had at a show. Out first new unit was damaged cosmetically by many people bashing the recliner backs into the window treatments, and the rear wall. My motto is dont look too closely at the details, cause if you look you will find something thats not perfect.

Wharton

Heartland is very good about sending out parts, whether under warranty or not. I find their customer service well above normal.

Mea_Dow

I will do that after we get the unit. We have lots of things to fix.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome to the Heartland Family! Another Texan!

Hope you get it all resolved so you can begin enjoying your unit. Owning an RV is not a spectator sport, it does require the owner to be proactive to find issues before they become major problems. It seems you have a good start to this, by having the dealer fix the items you've found right away.

When do you pick up your unit? We live not far from the Mesquite Explore USA and could meet you for lunch or something. PM me if you are interested.

Erika

Baltbirds

We just purchased a new 2011 31RESS. We had a couple of issues in the walk through big nothing major. For being almost a year old it was in excellent shape. Mea_Dow should not have gone through that for while trying to purchasing a RV. We do live and learn.

Mea_Dow

*sigh* Our rv still isn't finished. We purchased it 6-7 weeks ago. They had 3 weeks to do their pdi and repairs before our final walk-thru. Our final walk-thru was 11/3. I made the mistake of saying we didn't need it right away. I didn't realize they'd lolly-gag. I was trying to reassure them we wanted all repairs completed and we weren't bringing it back in a few weeks, my mistake.

Our rv is finally back from paint, a small scratch and a chip. Now just waiting on it being washed, entryway wiggling door trim being attached and hopefully it'll be done. My husband is having a hard time getting a completion date. He is too nice.
I so wish we'd gone to another dealership.

We started out at another location with this same dealership, before this location decided to help us, we'd been waiting 3 weeks on an insurance estimate. We looked at a used rv on this lot and they assured us they were much more efficient. *lol*

We are going on around 9-10 weeks!! We are at home but my husband drives 120 miles round-trip each day! We've already paid our first rv monthly payment and still nothing to show for it!

Any suggestions? Maybe I just needed a sympathetic ear... :b

danemayer

Starting 11/3 and breaking it down, I'd guess the dealer took a week and a half for the work they were doing themselves. The trip to the paint shop was probably another week and a half. And Thanksgiving probably cost you at least another 1/2 week.

You might call them today and ask the service manager to walk through the unit today with the punch list and let you know what's left. If it's just the door trim and the washing, ask them to get it done today so you can pick up the unit tomorrow or first thing Saturday morning.

CeeCee

Sorry to hear about all your problems. We've had 3 used RV's & never had any problems with them. We have had 2 new RV's & had numerous problems with both of them. I think it takes the 1st year of ownership to get all the bugs out. Sometimes it pays to buy used & let someone else deal with the problems. Although when you buy something new you shouldn't have these problems should you????? I think they just throw these things together & let the owner/dealers deal with it. Good luck it will all workout.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don't you just hate dealers that take advantage like that. Just a word of caution here. You said that you made your first payment. Remember that your warranty clock started ticking when you signed the papers, not when you take delivery. This might be handy to know come next fall. Peace Dave

Birchwood

Many of the items you mention are not serious and will probably never be repaired or most importantly
repaired properly.If some of the problems are not repaired or can't be repaired ask them for money
as a settlement.

Mea_Dow

Ugh. My husband got a call from the dealership, yesterday. He apparently talked to the wrong person and our rv is not done. Nothing has been done except paint.

In addition, we've found out more issues the dealership was brushing off as normal and then fixing it without telling us there were any problems.

The new one that concerns me is a problem in our front hydraulic jack. Umm, we sorta need that... :b They had me convinced this was fine and I was wrong. The dealer changed it to washers missing and now admitted they were ordering the foot pad. I called Heartland and they told me the dealer ordered the pad and a hydraulic cylinder. This sounds scary. I don't understand hydraulics. That's a little more then a few washers. The Heartland guy stopped when I told him I didn't know anything about that being broken and he called the dealer.

We still haven't seen any of our 4 our slides retract, we are held up by damage to one on the bottom. I will cry if there is anything wrong with them after all of this time.

Heartland called me back and did admit the dealer is being held up by parts they need to deliver but they will be ready, possibly Tuesday...

The dealership is ordering lots of cosmetic stuff that I wasn't aware was being repaired. That makes me happy but I just want to know.

Heartland was helpful but I just want my rv. We'd already made arrangements to go inspect the repairs this weekend, driving 400 miles round-trip... At least we found out before we drove that far. Heads would have rolled! :b

It's costing money each day we don't have the rv. My husband is driving 120-130 miles round-trip to work everyday and 2 hours of wasted time.

*sigh*

tmcran

What has happened to the improved QC that Heartland announced a few months ago? Seems little if any improvement.

kowAlski631

My husband & I had our 2013 delivered in mid-October and while there have been some minor items requiring tweaks by our dealer, we've seen nothing like Mea_Dow has experienced.
When we did have the rig at the dealer for those fixes, they went over the rig again & found a couple of things that required attention after we'd used it for a couple of weekends. I'd be happy that they were looking for items that needed to be replaced before they broke, but our dealer has kept us in the loop on every major item.
Sounds to me like Mea_Dow needs to establish one person with whom they speak at the dealer and look to that one person for the answers.
Just my opinion.

danemayer

The new one that concerns me is a problem in our front hydraulic jack. Umm, we sorta need that... :b They had me convinced this was fine and I was wrong. The dealer changed it to washers missing and now admitted they were ordering the foot pad. I called Heartland and they told me the dealer ordered the pad and a hydraulic cylinder. This sounds scary. I don't understand hydraulics.

The dealership is ordering lots of cosmetic stuff that I wasn't aware was being repaired.

One way to interpret this latest news is that the dealer has gotten more proactive and is trying hard to make sure everything is right.

Don't be scared about the hydraulics. Think of a popup lawn sprinkler head. Water gets turned on and the water pressure causes the head to pop up. It's similar on your landing jack. The pump pushes hydraulic fluid and the jack extends. The pump pulls fluid back into the reservoir and the jack retracts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
For whatever reason it seems like most dealers drag their feet with repairs. Remember the squeeky wheel gets the grease...so stay on top of this by contacting the dealer every day or at least every other day regarding the status of the repairs. They will put you ahead of the list to get you off of their back. What you are experiencing is the norm I sad to say.

Mea_Dow

Thanks again. The hydraulic is just scary to me. I was envisioning us setting up and the rv crashing down in the front after detaching from the hitch. :b

I will stay on top of them, we were mostly waiting for them to call but the squeaky wheel does get greased.