Low Point Drains

Opaled

We bought a 2020 North Trail 24BHS, and we love it! I just finished winterizing it for the first time, and I used pressure to blow it out, and pumped in antifreeze till everything ran "pink" (hot and cold). I'm very confident with what I have done so far. But I cannot find any reference about whether the low point drains should be left open or closed during winter storage. A friend of mine has an Airstream that he winterizes himself, and he says he leaves the low point drains open. My inclination would be to close them before storage. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

taskswap

I personally can't see any advantage to leaving them open, and it's a potential spot for insects to get in. If you've got "the pink" everywhere, all leaving the drain open could do is let the antifreeze drain out. The only time I leave mine open is if I'm winterizing in a rush (urgent frost warning before I had planned to do the whole routine and I'm just trying to buy time) and I'm NOT using antifreeze. Then I blow out everything I can and leave my low-points open as additional expansion space for anything that might have gotten trapped/not blown out...

Dahillbilly

living in northern WI, I blow out the lines after draining the system, Then I siphon in the anti-freeze leaving the low point drains closed!!

jerryjay11

I concur on leaving them closed. I would add after adding antifreeze to crack the drains open just to let a bit of the antifreeze to drip out that way you know you are covered.