Low voltage on level-up

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Got packed up and ready to leave the CG we've been in for a week and found a low voltage warning on the level-up control panel. At first I feared my converter had failed. Then I recalled all the threads on here where the 12v electrical problem was with the 50amp mini breaker on the 12v buss bar. Checked that and sure enough, it was tripped. Not sure what caused it, but the big electrical storm we had Monday night seems like a likely culprit. We haven't used 12v items much this week so hadn't noticed any drop until this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Glad it was an easy fix...:)

Just remember, you can always back up your truck and plug in the umbilical cord to get 12v power from the truck (I'd run truck engine at same time) to power the trailer.

pegmikef

That has happened to me a couple of times. I carry extra breakers, but so far have not had to replace one.

chiefneon

Howdy!

I'm having the same problem. I replaced my 12v battery which was bad, but still having problems with the resettable breaker tripping. I have to let it reset a couple of times before I can get my jack up. Where can I buy the breaker that needs replacing. I believe mine is only a 30amp. Have heard that folks are replacing them with 40 to 50amp breakers.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

danemayer

If you have a 4 point or 6 point Auto Leveling System, it should be 50 amp.

Locally, try boating supply stores, or auto supply stores, or an RV dealer parts dep't. Or you can get them from Amazon. You'll want the same form-factor so it mounts in the same place, and auto reset for the hydraulics.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
My levelup will just turn off when I'm retracting.
Is this because of low voltage?

danemayer

Nancy,

I think when the voltage at the controller gets too low, it shuts off. Since the breaker didn't trip, that suggests the problem might be closer to the battery. If it doesn't shut down when plugged into shore power, I'd check for clean and tight battery terminals, a solid ground connection on the battery negative terminal, and if you don't find anything, get the battery checked out at an auto parts store or Walmart with an auto service center.

nander

Nancy,

I think when the voltage at the controller gets too low, it shuts off. Since the breaker didn't trip, that suggests the problem might be closer to the battery. If it doesn't shut down when plugged into shore power, I'd check for clean and tight battery terminals, a solid ground connection on the battery negative terminal, and if you don't find anything, get the battery checked out at an auto parts store or Walmart with an auto service center.

Thanks, Dan. I'll have Dave check the batteries.

Nancy

dlw930

We were having the same problem earlier this year and after a few minutes of checking with my multimeter determined the battery was dead. Put in a new battery and all was well.

David

nander

We were having the same problem earlier this year and after a few minutes of checking with my multimeter determined the battery was dead. Put in a new battery and all was well.

David

These are brand new batteries. I know they can go bad, but they run the fridge fine while on the road. Dave is going to check them. Thanks for the info.

Nancy

danemayer

Could be a bad connection on the wiring to the controller, or a bad ground. Wiggle wires and check for loose crimps.

pegmikef

Nancy, tell Dave to disconnect from shore power when he checks the voltage on the batteries so he is not reading the converter's output. Also, he should do a gravity test for a bad cell, but I am guessing he knows that. Your TV is also providing voltage when you are traveling (but I don't know if it is enough to run the inverter).

nander

Nancy, tell Dave to disconnect from shore power when he checks the voltage on the batteries so he is not reading the converter's output. Also, he should do a gravity test for a bad cell, but I am guessing he knows that. Your TV is also providing voltage when you are traveling (but I don't know if it is enough to run the inverter).

Thanks, Mike & Dan! I'll give Dave your info.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Got packed up and ready to leave the CG we've been in for a week and found a low voltage warning on the level-up control panel. At first I feared my converter had failed. Then I recalled all the threads on here where the 12v electrical problem was with the 50amp mini breaker on the 12v buss bar. Checked that and sure enough, it was tripped. Not sure what caused it, but the big electrical storm we had Monday night seems like a likely culprit. We haven't used 12v items much this week so hadn't noticed any drop until this morning.

Gus you said you didn't notice any drops with your 12V system until that morning. Probably after you unplugged from shore power. The whole time that breaker was tripped there was no charging of the battery's from the convertor. There are still items drawing off of the battery's but nothing charging them back up if that manual reset button is tripped. That's why you got the low voltage warning on the Level-up system. More then likely if you reset the breaker and plug into shore power for a while everything should be fine.
Like Dan said, check your ground to the frame and tighten all other connections on your battery's and all of your circuit breakers and you will be good to go.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
There were strange things going on after the big electrical storm. Our internal EMS didn't catch anything on the AC circuitry, but the 12v was definitely not charging correctly. In a different RV park now and everything appears to be working correctly. 50 amp mini breaker has not tripped since we got here.