lubricating dump valve cables

rick_debbie_gallant

This is both an "FYI" and "what do ya think" kind of post. Last year in Texas I started to squirt a lubricating/penetrating oil into each one of the cables where they pass through the dock center (if that makes sense). I would do this as I was waiting for the tanks to dump not sure but I think they are starting to work easier. If would be great if there were some sort of a way to add grease or some other such lubricating stuff under pressure to make the cables work easier. Another help would be if the cables that are in the crawl space were run with as straight a shot as possible, or at least with large radius turns or bends. Any ideas guys and gals?

I have occasionally sprayed the cables the same way as you which really helps. I thought the same about the cables being run better, but after having to take down the coroplast, I see that they are actually run very well. The gray #2 is a long run on our unit since the valve is on the door side. The cables were also fairly level with no sharp bends.

wdk450

Try going to a motorcycle dealership/repair shop. They have a system for shooting lubricant down motorcycle brake and clutch cables using a spray can and a foam rubber adapter. The system I am familiar with uses molydinum in suspension.

Boca_Shuffles

Go to Valtera's website and see what they recommend. I am quite sure that they tell you not to use WD-40 on them.

I spent a lot of time under my rig at last year's Michigan rally and the cables (or possibly broken cables) was one of the things I was researching.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Just replaced all three pull cables...turned out to be a relatively simple job...at least that's what DH said...LOL! New cables work MUCH better than the OEMS ever did. Thought about lubricating, but they were five years old.

olcoon

I asked that to the service manager at a SOB dealership, and he told me they use Murphy's oil. They dump it into the tank & it works pretty good. He said that usually the issue isn't the cable, but the gate valve & rubber seals. The reason I asked is that I'm having problems with my black tank valve. I had to put new seals in it, and when I did, I used vegetable oil & gave both seals a good coat, plus the blade on the valve, and the valve shaft. I think I saw a post a few weeks ago about something similar & he used canola oil, & dumped it in the tanks. Probably cheaper than Murphy's oil.