Luck Finally Ran Out...

tmcran

I got an extractor kit from Harbor Freight. Has 3 sizes. I did the heat thing first and got the plastic soft and then screwed the extractor in and let the plastic cool around the extractor. Backed it out. Took about 25 minutes. Replaced with brass.

Duramax1

I am sure that your pictures and description will be quite helpful for a lot of people. I have bookmarked this thread in case it ever happens to me

Thankyou for your post

rick_debbie_gallant

Even though my 3670 is only a few months old I do believe that I will replace it (the BFP) with brass before I even have any problems with it. I took enough cold showers in the Army. "If it ain't broke, fix it before it is", that is my motto and I am sticking with it.:D

SilverRhino

I have to agree with Rick........I would rather replace the BFP while at home with a shop full of tools to use! If nothing else......I'll at least have the parts needed in the "spares" box :eek:

jbeletti

I checked on this with the plant and have been advised that we now use a brass nipple at the water heater. Check valve is still plastic. With the brass nipple, it should be easier to replace the check valve if one wants or needs to do so.

Jim

2010augusta

I checked on this with the plant and have been advised that we now use a brass nipple at the water heater. Check valve is still plastic. With the brass nipple, it should be easier to replace the check valve if one wants or needs to do so.

Jim

Now that is good customer service: a problem is posted on owners forum, moderators relay problem to factory, and production line makes a running change on new units.

This highlights why Heartland is one of the fastest growing RV companies AND why they are know for their service.

Thanks Jim.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Jim

That's good to hear Jim, however, that wouldn't have solved our problem...as you can see in the pictures it's the checkvalve that snapped in half. As I said, I think it had to do with the sealant they applied...there was NO budging that valve...it was pretty much fused to the metal threads in the back of the water heater...a little amount of pressure and it's gone. The only way to stop this problem is to use a brass check valve that won't turn brittle from heat and snap off as soon as you try and turn it.

phranc

I think what Jim is saying is that the brass nipple screws into the tank and the check valve screws into the brass nipple,,So when something goes bad , just unscrew the nipple and the checkvalve comes out too.. Repair on work bench and then replace nipple and checkvalve into tank

h20skih

Kakampers, I'm pretty sure you could use the same extractor most of us guys have around the garage that we use to take out broke-off sprinkler risers when you break or mow off a sprinkler head. Probably get it at any hardware store, it is a t-shaped handle with cut threads backwards to extract the piece of plastic...Just for future reference....At least u tackeled it yourself & not have a RV dealer's cost for it...

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I think what Jim is saying is that the brass nipple screws into the tank and the check valve screws into the brass nipple,,So when something goes bad , just unscrew the nipple and the checkvalve comes out too.. Repair on work bench and then replace nipple and checkvalve into tank

After reading Jim's comment again, I think you're right! If so, that would make it alot easier.

Hey Jim...can you get a picture of the new setup??? :)

jbeletti

After reading Jim's comment again, I think you're right! If so, that would make it alot easier.

Hey Jim...can you get a picture of the new setup??? :)

Kathy, yes, next time I pass through Elkhart, I'll snap a picture of the current setup.

Jim