Lug nuts

WilmanJim

I would try a 13/16" or a 22mm and you might need a thin wall 6 point. You might look into replacing them if you can as if the coating gets buggered up it could be tough to get a socket on them.
JMO

Jim

porthole

Retired
Whatever your torque spec is, only use a 6 point socket, preferably an impact socket. And if the socket won't clear the space around the lug nut you can get "thin wall" sockets just for that purpose.

lwmcguir

Our 7 K axles had 7/8" lug nuts with the faux covers. I replaced them with hardened solid steel lug nuts from BrandSport. Also kept the same lug nuts when we went to 8K axles. 110 pounds isn't enough for 9/16" studs. Better go to about 150 then they will stay tight until you take them off. The better manufactures of sockets have thinner walls. The cheap ones are fatter due to the poor quality of steel they use.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I'm still not convinced these aren't covers. But I can't get the cover remover tool in there because of that center hub. I checked the torque on them anyway.

How often do you all check your lugs and tire pressure?

Also, how often do you check the nuts on the kingpin?

I'm trying to work up my 'regular' maintenance schedule.

jnbhobe

I guess the best way to convince you is to remove all the covers then you will know what real problems are along with the $50 to $75 to replace them. Tire pressure, every day you tow before you start out in the morning. Wheel torque and pin box every 50mi for the first 500mi thenonce every 1K will be plenty.