Luv Shak westward hoooooooo

Princess Kathleen

Hi to All,
The Luv Shak is heading west, on the Oregon Trail. Just wanted to know if anyone has traveled this route and could give some pointers on places to stay, visit, etc....

PK

rjr6150

IF your going through the Scottsbluff Gering NE. area there is a very nice campground owned by the city of Gering to stay at and if your interested in western heritage plenty to do in the area.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Steer clear of I-84, going through Boise. Bar none, the worse road I have ever been on. The ice in winter has buckled the concrete so bad, I was down to 30 mph and still thought the trailer was going to be shaken off of the axels. I know there are roads close, but have been all over the west and never have seen anything like it.
Fred

Princess Kathleen

The end of the Oregon Trail

We made it to the end.....much better off than the emigrants....sure glad I did not have to walk those miles......did I say miles....

We left Elkhart, In on May 13 and arrived in Oregon City Or on Aug 5. We did do several side trips and spent more than one day at some of the campgrounds.

We are in Wilsonville, Or at a campground called Pheasant Ridge....very nice....level concrete site, cable, pool, spa, black top roads, good sam, and camping world across the street.....

Going down 101 to California on Sunday.....

Later.....

PK

Uncle Rog

PK, 101 is a nice ride, once you hit Kalifornia "watch out for them english"! The northern coast is beautiful. The speed limit cnxs at the state line, 55 for 5'ers. There are nice CG's most of the way down, Pismo has several. The south below Santa Barbara will be hot for the next 10 weeks at least for inland spots.......................

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Welcome to Oregon!! 101 gets really busy and somewhat narrow in some parts. It is beautiful though if the fog lifts off the water. As you get to So. Oregon you may hit a ot of smoke from the forest fires in No. CA. Are you staying on 101 in CA?
Kristy

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
PK,
I would suggest seeing the Sea Lion Caves outside Florence. Coos Bay has a really great botanical garden. Just north of Coos Bay at Winchester Bay, there is a great RV park with beautiful views of the bay from your rear window. Its a really nice park we just spent a week there is June. It right next to the entrance to the sand dunes park where people take their ATVS out to run in the sand. You can stop at one of the tourist traps that sell dunes rides in huge dune buggies if you want to see what they are like. South of Florence.

The south coast has several beaches with parking lots above them so you can get out to the water. The water is cold..... sorry. At Gold Beach you can take jet boat rides up the Rogue River which are fun. You can also check out the sea lions competing with the fishermen in the river for the salmon. About 20 miles south of there is Brookings/Harbor, two towns that run into each other. That is the "banana belt" of the coast where the weather is usually warmer than the rest of the coast, unless it is hot inland, then it stays kind of foggy on the coast. We are a litle cooler today inland, but it is supposed to get hotter the next few days.

From Brookings you can continue down to Crescent City in Calif. and see the first of many groves of redwoods on the CA coast. I'm not as familiar with the area below Crescent City. Eventually you will be able to choose to stay on 101 or get on Hwy 1. Hwy 1 is the older route and is very scenic though it does get pretty curvey in some places. A stop at the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco is a must. You might want to take an inland detour north of San Fran to see the Napa Valley and some of the famous vinyards and wineries, just be sure to park the Luv Shack before doing any tasting!:D:D If you like theme parks you might want to spend a day at Six Flags/ Vellajo (probably spelled wrong) that also has Sea World attached to it. It is a fun place to spend a day even if you don't ride the coasters.

Enjoy your tour through our part of the world! I'm recovered from surgery enough now that I can check the forum a little more often and Boatdoc lives near Coos Bay, so someone should be able to help you out with questions.

Kristy

cjbearden

Visitor
Hi PK and Prince Vance:D

You guys will have a gorgeous drive on 101. Drove that highway too many years ago to mention and fell in love with the romantic Pacific Coast and the Myrtlewood products.

http://www.myrtlewoodgallery.com/what_is_myrtlewood.htm

Read the story behind the special Myrtlewood. Go look at some of the bowls and other things made from the wood.

Enjoy watching the sea life and safe travels. Sorry you can't make the Houston Rally in October but will catch up with you in Goshen if not before (think about the Spring Houston Rally).

C.J. and J.D.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
PK and Vince, if you are headed south into California and get that close to San Francisco, Muir Woods, just to the north is a great place to walk through.

boatdoc

PK, Have you two passed thru Bandon yet?? We would love to see your rig go by!!! please let us know if you have or have not and maybe when you might be passing thru. Enjoy our Coast and take your time.
Gary & Diana boatdoc