Macerators - how commonly are they used?

jnbhobe

Re: use of a maserator

How common is it to use a maserator and a garden hose instead of the standard 3" hose used for emptying ones black tank?

I carry one with me but haven't used it in ages. Used to use it at home before I installed a dump station.

djlogan

Check out sewer solutions. Like a macerate, but no moving parts. May take a bit longer than a stinky slinky, but much more compact and clean. SewerSolutions.com,I think. Been using mine for over two years

hoefler

I have been using one for 7 weeks now, once a week. Will be using it for the next 6 months or so will building our new home. Works very well. Made up a 1" PVC line to the in-laws 215' away.

MTPockets

When we lived and travelled on our boat, waste was "macerated" every time we flushed. Maybe when we upgrade the head we'll add the marine toilet.

pegmikef

Check out sewer solutions. Like a macerate, but no moving parts. May take a bit longer than a stinky slinky, but much more compact and clean. SewerSolutions.com,I think. Been using mine for over two years

If anyone is interested, Camping World has these on sale as an internet only item right now. About 120 bucks. It had good reviews and looks like an excellent solution for home use.

Urban350

I use mine all the time at home to empty my tanks, 5 years and still going strong.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

If anyone is interested, Camping World has these on sale as an internet only item right now. About 120 bucks. It had good reviews and looks like an excellent solution for home use.

After reading this thread the other day, I ordered one and an extra 10ft hose.

pegmikef

Yeah John, I ordered one too for home use, but I need a thirty five foot run so I am going to use PVC pipe (cheaper). On our last camping day of a trip I have always disliked getting up in the morning at a nearby state or COE park (within 150 miles), packing up getting all cleaned up and then having to stop at the dump station (often waiting in line). Now I figure I can just take care of it when I get home. I am glad that someone started this forum because I had never even heard of a macerator.

readytohitheroad

Several of you have indicated you use a macerator for "home" use. Why would you use it for home use but not use it when you are at a campground?

Urban350

I just use a normal hose at a campground plus at home I do not have a 6" drain that I can get to easily. The macerator allows use of a 1.5" pipe.

pegmikef

Several of you have indicated you use a macerator for "home" use. Why would you use it for home use but not use it when you are at a campground?

In my case, most of the places we stay don't have sewer hookups, and may or may not have a dump station. When there is a dump station, you can't always count on a 15 psi water source or sometimes the capability to even connect your hose. Being a public dump station I also think that it would not be right to hold up any one who might be waiting while I am connecting and disconnecting all my stuff. That being said, I have been trying to come up with a practical way to connect to one of my sewer accesses at home. This fills the bill, is relatively inexpensive and can be set up and taken down at my leisure . . . plus it now gives me another "guest room" option.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Yeah John, I ordered one too for home use, but I need a thirty five foot run so I am going to use PVC pipe (cheaper). On our last camping day of a trip I have always disliked getting up in the morning at a nearby state or COE park (within 150 miles), packing up getting all cleaned up and then having to stop at the dump station (often waiting in line). Now I figure I can just take care of it when I get home. I am glad that someone started this forum because I had never even heard of a macerator.

I can't use it at home cuz the BH would not fit on the driveway! But I was pondering that if the 20ft was not enough, could one connect a section of stinky slinky to the sewer connection and then attach the macerator to the slinky? With the right extra fittings, the slinky could be flushed clean into the macerator and at the end of the job you'd be done. Would eliminate the need to have PVC pipes laying around.

PUG

Pug
I purchased a macerator kit from camping world and a 1 inch 60 ft hose from lowes. i run it over to the sewer cleanout pipe at my house and it works great. i flush the black tank out and then run the grey tank out that also flushes out the hose.

pegmikef

I can't use it at home cuz the BH would not fit on the driveway! But I was pondering that if the 20ft was not enough, could one connect a section of stinky slinky to the sewer connection and then attach the macerator to the slinky? With the right extra fittings, the slinky could be flushed clean into the macerator and at the end of the job you'd be done. Would eliminate the need to have PVC pipes laying around.

That would probably work, except mine is a slight upgrade and part of the slinky would have to be going uphill. I was just at Lowe's and now I am thinking about just using 1 inch hose. I have a forty foot long garage so storing a couple of pieces of pvc is no big deal (hehehe, finding it again might be though)