Main Buss Fuse Blown

bigdob24

I was was leaving camp this morning disconnected my 50 amp service and went inside and had absolutely now 12 volt power.
Did some checking and the top buss fuse in the bar was bad.
Rerouted the wire to the next fuse down to get by and now I need to get a new fuse.
Have not taken it out yet, is it a 50 amp?'
Could there be a reset button?
Any ideas why it blew? The coach is only a year old and no previous electrical trouble.
Thanks for the help
Danimage.jpg

danemayer

Hi bigdob24,

The 12V mini-circuit breaker between the battery and Power Converter usually has a manual reset. There's a teeny-tiny button on the end - sometimes easier to feel it than to see it.

What trips the breaker? Don't know.

If you'd like to read more about this, take a look at our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide. If you have a Residential Refrigerator, the Residential Refrigerator Guide has more detailed drawings that more closely reflect your setup.

Attachments

• circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 22

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As Dan said, the curcuit breaker may have tripped...who knows why. The breaker could also be bad. Try to reset it and go from there. These breakers are cheap and any auto parts store will have them.

bigdob24

Was able to reset the breaker.
Its kinda deceiving if you don't know there is a reset button.
All is good.
Does anyone know what amperage these breakers are?
Cant tell with out taking one out.
Thanks
Dan

danemayer

The breakers on the buss bar are typically different values depending on what each is providing power to. The one between battery and Power Converter is typically a 50 amp. The one for the hydraulics pump is probably also a 50. The earlier comment about upgrading to an 80 amp breaker may have been about the hydraulics. I've never heard of anyone upgrading the value on the one to the Power Converter.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I dont think I would upgrade the "house" breaker to 80 amps. If something after the breaker but before the fuse panel went to ground....you might let all the smoke out of the wiring. Just saying. The upgrade to an 80 amp breaker for landing gear would be OK.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Like Cranky Bob said, don't increase the size of that breaker without also increasing the size of the wiring between the converter and breaker. As a side note, I've seen mine trip because the converter was trying to supply more than 50A to my badly depleted battery pack.