Making a better pantry in a 3160EL?

kdubinwa

The 3160EL I have on order has a multi-purpose pantry/washer/dryer closet to the right of the refer. I'm tapping into the experience pool here to gather ideas on how to better use this space for 100% pantry. We won't be installing a washer/dryer.

As you can see below the closet comes from the factory with only a couple useable shelves mounted against the back wall. I'm thinking I might move the vacuum out of the closet as well (going under master bed) leaving a decent size room. Has anybody tackled a similar type project? Adding more shelves to the existing brackets... Replacing factory shelving with anchored free-standing adjustable wire shelving racks... Adding shelving or storage to the side walls... The closet is fairly deep so there is potential.

Thanks,
Kurt

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 116

osims

bsims
We bought some plastic coated wire shelving at Lowes and cut it to fit. Moved existing shelves around and added two more, works good for us.

kdubinwa

We bought some plastic coated wire shelving at Lowes and cut it to fit. Moved existing shelves around and added two more, works good for us.

Thanks Bill. I have seen those wire shelves if memory serves me. Did you keep all the shelves running across the back wall? Any chance you could post up a pic?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have seen several folks using the wired closest shelving which most Home Depot or Lowes will cut to fit and would turn it upside down so the little lip is on top. By doing this, it helps to keep things from sliding off the shelf when traveling. Maybe someone will post a picture.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
See this link. Not a 3160 pantry but the principle is the same...
2014 3010RE Pantry Mod
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=40473

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougS

Doug S
Kurt our BH 3160 EL is 2 weeks old. There were a few changes from the models I saw at dealers. One change is the elimination of the chest of drawers in the bedroom closet on the left, they are now shelves. I moved the vac from the pantry to the left of the closet in front of the shelves. The drawers on the right are the same.
Some other things changed are the lights over the kitchen sink and the lights over the table. Also it looks like the remote control was eliminated.
We are installing a stackable washer/dryer in the pantry.

kdubinwa

Kurt our BH 3160 EL is 2 weeks old. There were a few changes from the models I saw at dealers. One change is the elimination of the chest of drawers in the bedroom closet on the left, they are now shelves. I moved the vac from the pantry to the left of the closet in front of the shelves. The drawers on the right are the same.
Some other things changed are the lights over the kitchen sink and the lights over the table. Also it looks like the remote control was eliminated.
We are installing a stackable washer/dryer in the pantry.

Thanks Doug.

Did not know about the left-side closet change, but can live with it. Sounds like an OK location for the vac. My salesman's Bighorn rep told us a few weeks back that they had dropped the remote. Bummer. I'm curious as to what the new lights look like... the old ones were sorta lame-jane IMO.

DougS

Doug S
Kurt, I like the new lights. The ones over the sink are two hanging black metal shades. The light over the table is a recessed light with a sort of twigs pattern on the defused light cover. So far everyone who has seen the lights said they liked them, my wife still has not made her mind up.
One more thing, not sure if a safe is now included, my rig came with one which I did not order.
The day part of the shades has gone away I was told, I was able to get the day/night shades. The day part of the shades might be able to be special ordered, I am not sure about that.

DougS

Doug S
That's great about the shades if it's true. They made big beautiful windows only to have to pull down the night shade to keep the sun out if there is no day shades.

kdubinwa

Sounds better all the time! I'm not a big fan of hanging pedestal lights in a trailer application so the recessed lights over the dinning table are better IMO.

I also prepared for getting MCD Night-shades only so the day shades would be wonderful.

I did not order the safe so we shall see.

Did your 3160 come with the new solar prep? If so what does it entail?

DougS

Doug S
I have not investigated the extra plug in the front of the RV, but I was told it was for the solar prep.

fidhleir

Or 3160 came with a kitchen pendant light on a single rod. At the PDI it was hanging by the wires. It came loose again on our first two trips so our dealer replaced it with another flush mount LED light which we much prefer. I see the new ones have two rods so they probably don't swing as much.

The shelf brackets in the pantry are cheap plastic and can't hold much weight (which we discovered the hard way). So I put in a free standing four drawer wire basket unit from IKEA. The pantry is designed to hold a washer/dryer stack so the free standing unit shouldn't be a weight issue. The drawers make access to items in the back much easier then fixed shelves.

kdubinwa

Or 3160 came with a kitchen pendant light on a single rod. At the PDI it was hanging by the wires. It came loose again on our first two trips so our dealer replaced it with another flush mount LED light which we much prefer. I see the new ones have two rods so they probably don't swing as much.

The shelf brackets in the pantry are cheap plastic and can't hold much weight (which we discovered the hard way). So I put in a free standing four drawer wire basket unit from IKEA. The pantry is designed to hold a washer/dryer stack so the free standing unit shouldn't be a weight issue. The drawers make access to items in the back much easier then fixed shelves.

I like the idea of free-standing shelving secured to the back wall best, but I'd like to have enough room on the floor for a couple of heavier items like our portable ice maker. I'll take a look at drawer options as well as shelving. Thanks